Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 22nd September 2013, 20:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

I have now seriously started ignoring the people's who just call the vettel, a driver with no skill. I still support him and will do in future too. The way he is winning one after other race, I guess there's nothing much to be proved here. For now, the vettel is the best driver in the list, that's fact. Those who say, he has the best car, so does webber have, but how many times you guys seriously have seen him on the podium.

Damn happy with today's result and I hope vettel continues to win one race after another. Go vettel go

And please, I don't want to enter into any argument or debate. I just wrote what my heart said. no offence meant to anyone specifically.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 F1 - Singapore Grand Prix

A spectacular start by Alonso, Kimi making a point by getting to P3, some good action from P4 - P8 ... these were a few exciting moments from the Singapore F1 for me.

Hope Alonso and Kimi on the podium together shows great possibilities for next year.

Of course can't fault Vettel for his flawless drive and a dominant win, though it didn't add much in terms of viewer entertainment. Even with the best car on the grid, you need to be at your best to drive it around at a consistent pace over the race distance. At some point in the future I would wish to see him drive for the scarlet team to see what he can do there.
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Nice gesture from alonso to offer webber a ride back.

-Sajan
Alonso is just returning the favor...look at the attached picture

Also, look into the YouTube video here where Alonso and Webber sit down and interview each other. They are very close and friendly, and they obviously share a lot of respect for each other.

I found the video a great treat, it's very rare to see non-teammates sit down and talk to each other in a non-professional way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Agree with your statement on the No#1 Status as well, It may be unofficial unlike Ferrari but It's hard to believe a team wouldn't give some sort of preference to the man who has single handedly won them 3 WDCs and contributed in a big way to the 3 WCCs as well.
The thing is, as we all know, the Red Bull is technically far far superior to any other car on track. So my point is:

With Webber's experience, which is considerably more than Vettel's, you would think that he would have a huge hand up fighting everybody else on track.

We all know that F1 is something like a 70% car 30% driver sport (ratio somewhere in that region & ratio in this specific F1 era).

So how is it that Vettel can produce a huge lead even if he is stuck behind someone (as we have seen in previous races) and Mark Webber's car cannot ?

Webber's car always seems much much slower and technically deficient compared to Vettel's, which appears so damn flawless in 9/10 races.

Also, it's simple physics that if a machine performs more, there will be greater workload on it applied like stress on parts. How is it that Webber's car is more prone to failure than Vettel's car even though Vettel keeps maxing out the capability of the car every race ?

This is not normal -- I have no doubt that if Vettel's car were to be stuck in traffic like Webber's today, he'd have no trouble out-pacing the traffic.

You could say Mark Webber is not as good as a driver as Sebastian Vettel hence proving drivers can compensate for car performance deficit.

But then why has the 7 time F1 God Michael Shumacher fared so bad in his Mercedes F1 return ? Many thought he would set the track on fire with his god-like presence -- this goes to prove the major correlation between car and success.
Attached Images

Last edited by D33-PAC : 22nd September 2013 at 20:51.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 22:06   #34
BHPian

Well this link has some interesting points to ponder over the notion that Webber always is at receiving end at RBR.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f1..._page=1&num=15
jraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

That was some pace from Vettel. Alonso's start was Superman stuff.. good strategy by both him and Kimi after the safety car came in. Brought a dull race back to life.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
The thing is, as we all know, the Red Bull is technically far far superior to any other car on track. So my point is:

With Webber's experience, which is considerably more than Vettel's, you would think that he would have a huge hand up fighting everybody else on track.

We all know that F1 is something like a 70% car 30% driver sport (ratio somewhere in that region & ratio in this specific F1 era).

So how is it that Vettel can produce a huge lead even if he is stuck behind someone (as we have seen in previous races) and Mark Webber's car cannot ?

Webber's car always seems much much slower and technically deficient compared to Vettel's, which appears so damn flawless in 9/10 races.

Also, it's simple physics that if a machine performs more, there will be greater workload on it applied like stress on parts. How is it that Webber's car is more prone to failure than Vettel's car even though Vettel keeps maxing out the capability of the car every race ?

This is not normal -- I have no doubt that if Vettel's car were to be stuck in traffic like Webber's today, he'd have no trouble out-pacing the traffic.

You could say Mark Webber is not as good as a driver as Sebastian Vettel hence proving drivers can compensate for car performance deficit.

But then why has the 7 time F1 God Michael Shumacher fared so bad in his Mercedes F1 return ? Many thought he would set the track on fire with his god-like presence -- this goes to prove the major correlation between car and success.

Well I don't think I would be willing to say that RBR is actively sabotaging marks car to fail or be less reliable but I will agree on the possibility of superior components/ new development parts going on Vettels first.
As for Schumacher's return, I've since maintained that the gap of a couple of years combined with his age lead to his subpar performance, Keep in mind I'm talking of his performance compared to his team mate. No matter how good a driver he can only do so much if he has a garbage car. Put Vettel in a caterham he isn't going to win any races but he would most likely still outperform Webber vastly is my opinion.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:00   #37
BHPian

@Maky,

I don't think they're actively sabotaging mark's car either -- but I do think there could be a bit of negligence or an air of a slight carefree attitude around Mark's side of the garage.

However, if the pure numbers and nothing but the numbers are to be believed by the link JRaj posted,

then i'll have to eat my words and say that Sebastian Vettel makes Mark Webber look like a little schoolgirl any day, in any equally performing car, at any track (which has already been proven at the Top Gear track I suppose, however I am not sure what the conditions were that day and whether the car was the same exact vehicle).

Last edited by D33-PAC : 23rd September 2013 at 01:02.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:27   #38
BHPian

...and Alonso costs his best friend 10 grid spots at Korea

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...onso-taxi-ride
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:27   #39
BHPian

Enjoyed the race live, atmosphere at the track was electric. Its my second time in Singapore and totally had fun. I was at the turn 7 which is heaviest breaking zone after long straight. It was amazing to see cars trying to out break each other ad the turn7. diResta crashed just in front of me. And Webber entered the turn 7 with his car in flames. That was scary and exciting watch from such a close angle. Amazing start by Alonso and what a race by KIMI to on podium from 13th.

Rihanna concert after race was also fun.

I met a Gentleman from Manchester, a fan of McLaren and he came to singapore for F1 and going to Korea n than to Japan n than to India n thn to Abu Dhabhi, US and Brazil. There are some crazy fans out there. The best thing about Singapore crowd is that there are from all countries.
arun_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:02   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
...and Alonso costs his best friend 10 grid spots at Korea

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...onso-taxi-ride
Too bad! That was one of the best moments of the whole weekend for me.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:13   #41
BHPian

It is really sad to see that almost no one & no team can go toe-to-toe with Sebastian & Red Bull on their best day.

Considering the fact that Red Bull have won races at high speed circuits such as Monza & Spa this year, it's unlikely that Sebastian Vettel will face any competition for the rest of the season. Unless something really wacky happens, it should be smooth sailing for the 26 year old to his 4th WDC.

Even after the restart following the safety car, it took Vettel less than a lap to pull ahead of Rosberg and get out of the DRS window. That kind of performance can't all be down to the car. I feel sad for Mark Webber. His career seems remarkably similar to that of Reubens Barrichello. Always out of luck, and always in the shadow of another racer who appears far more talented.

Some team needs to bring the fight to Red Bull in the coming season, or it's gonna be extremely boring henceforth watching Vettel storm ahead of the competition and coasting to victory, race after race. My money is on Mercedes & Ferrari. Hope McLaren can join the fight as well.
sourav9385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Season appears to be over, RBR in Vettel's hand always seems capable of winning races by huge margins. In Webber's hand it seems to be good enough to get on the podium. This has turned out into another 2011.

2014 can't come soon enough. Hopefully it will shake the order and we have Alonso Vs Kimi battle to wait for.

PS: Not sure why this race is a hit. The circuit is boooring! & what's with the booing? As much I want see Vettel lose, booing is uncalled for.

Found this

Last edited by asr245 : 23rd September 2013 at 10:40.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:05   #43
BHPian

No asr! Don't say that!
Booing Vettel at the end is the saving grace of every race : P. I find it hard to digest these PR friendly press conferences by the drivers and team principles, post race interviews. Don't you wish it was like before where an irate driver would just punch the other guys face!
Maybe it's just me : )...

I did like the latest Team principles press conference at Singapore though. Franz Tost = God.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:02   #44
BHPian

Good race yesterday.
Unfortunately could catch only commentary on the eurosport app.

Best drives for me:
Alonso - P7 to P2 - Stunning start, amazing drive to sustain the position.
Raikonnen - P13 to P3 - Opportunistic drive to grab the podium.
Vettel - P1 all the way except for one corner.
Grudgingly, I have to accept that he drove well. Any man who can pull out 2s per lap deserves respect. Especially after the safety car period, just watching the timesheets itself was astonishing.
I am by no means a Vettel fan but lets give him his due.

When Webber was asked to look after his tyres 5 laps into the race, I thought that was a coded message to hold up the rest of the field. 2 laps later, Vettel was given the same message. This time it felt like- What you are doing is more than enough- take it easy.

Jensen Button trying to do what he is best known for - gentle driving to make tyres last. Unfortunately it didn't work out for him. I hope Mclaren gets its act together for 2014.

Finally, Rosberg getting screwed over a piece of rubber stuck in his front wings. We got to hear him flustered after having P2 taken away from him (for no fault of his?) but then thats racing - feel bad for him though.

Hamilton - Started P5 ended P5 with a lot of drama thrown in. Rekindling the track cutting rivalry with Massa - that brought some memories out.

Hulkenberg deserves a mention for his reaction on the radio when he was told to give back the place to Perez after their 3-way manouvre - "WHAT? FOR WHAT?"
dzrebellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
No asr! Don't say that!
Booing Vettel at the end is the saving grace of every race : P. I find it hard to digest these PR friendly press conferences by the drivers and team principles, post race interviews. Don't you wish it was like before where an irate driver would just punch the other guys face!
I'm fine for booing a driver when they've done something wrong/grossly wrong. But booing Vettel is plain churlishness - the guy/car are working hard for their race wins in a field of great cars/manufacturers and greater drivers. I'm no Vettel apologist/fanboy but this sort of behaviour is just plain cheap (i.e. the crowd, not you personally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post

One point I've heard made is that Webber is heavier than Vettel, and that impacts the ballasting of the car, and KERS battery pack placement. That might also explain why Webber's car has so much more KERS issues than Vettel.

I'd think that RBR design the car oriented towards Vettel's weight, and then make adjustments to accommodate Webber (I wouldn't call this favouritism, the designers have to start somewhere, and its been quoted that if designers could eliminate drivers from the cars, they'd gladly do so!) I know that Adrian Newey is often quoted as one who designs things with very fine tolerances.

This might even be the case for putting women in the cockpits of F1 (just that we wouldn't call their seating position by that name )

Last edited by arunphilip : 23rd September 2013 at 12:30.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote