Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 30th March 2014, 10:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread

Weather forecast indicates a wet race. Add to that - Hamilton, Vettel, Rosberg, Alonso and Kimi in the first 3 rows on the grid. Boy, this could turn out to be an interesting afternoon!
MaserQ is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 15:33   #32
BHPian

Lewis picks up a dominant win! And the first 1-2 for Mercedes since 1955.
I just can't handle how boring these cars sound, and so much of the action has been taken out of F1 with these useless rules..

Anyway, nice to see Benedict Cumberbatch doing the post-race interviews as well
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 15:41   #33
BHPian

I guffawed when I heard "Valteri is faster than you". They could at least phrase it differently!

Congratulations to Lotus and Grosjean for actually finishing. Massive improvement compared to all other appearances.

The webber curse continues! Poor Ricciardo :(

Whoa, they're playing a new song on the podium! 2014 is weird!
Impressive driving by Hamilton, well deserved victory. Absolutely no mistakes.
Rosberg and Hamilton: "HAIL TO OUR PETRONAS OVERLORDS"
muditgrover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 16:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
I guffawed when I heard "Valteri is faster than you". They could at least phrase it differently!
+1

And I am glad that Massa didn't yield and rebuffed team orders. The irony of it was just too much. Williams should have done this through pit stops.

It was a very boring race!
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 16:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
+1

So true! The cars were visibly slower now. Won't be too long before we see 1.0L engines rivalling our Marutis in there. Thanks, FIA.
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 16:38   #36
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: 2014 Malaysian GP : Race Thread

Good that Massa didn't budge. He has been enough treated as the number 2 driver.
OK, Hamilton drove flawlessly and everything but personally didn't want him to win at all after what he had said about Schumi's skiing accident : "Everything happens for a reason and this incidence will test his character unlike anything has done before"..

And was expecting Kimi to put up a great show, even be a contender for the podium but it didn't happen so. I feel he doesn't have that spark or the killer-instinct left in him like Vettel does.

Can only see the future races to be dominated by Merc and RBR.. Ferrari as of now can't match them and its quite disheartening for a hardcore Ferrari fan.

Formula 1's getting boring now, no screaming cars, boring races, no wonder if a huge chunk even stops watching it.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 17:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't watch the entire race, had to go out after half way mark.

Good show by Mercedes and RBR. Sensible driving by Kimi after the puncture to bring the car home preserving the powertrain since there was limited chance of a points finish without a safety car or rain. He effectively did one pit stop less and Ferrari would have got a lot of data regarding pit strategy for future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Good that Massa didn't budge. He has been enough treated as the number 2 driver.
Having asked his team to ask Bottas not to overtake him during the initial part of the race when he was attacking Button, I expected better from Massa towards the end of the race.

I understand that he was at the receiving end all along his career but that is no reason to expect his team mate to do the same. The simple fact that he is still in the F1 scene is because not many reasonably okay drivers were willing to be #2 driver at Ferrari.

In a way, its good. Now Bottas is never going to let Massa pass him easily for the remainder of the season irrespective of the situation.

Quote:
what he had said about Schumi's skiing accident : "Everything happens for a reason and this incidence will test his character unlike anything has done before"..
Give that guy a break. He personally knew Schumi very well unlike the millions of fans worldwide. If Schumi was to recover completely, then that statement from Lewis would not be treated the same way as now. In case of adversities for close friends, its usually difficult for most people to believe or accept the logical reality and they continue to hope for a miracle. Nobody who thinks that Schumi would not recover would dare to say such stuff. So its obvious. I see the statement from Lewis in that angle- he is simply refusing to believe that Schumi would never recover, irrespective of what the experts say!
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 18:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
OK, Hamilton drove flawlessly and everything but personally didn't want him to win at all after what he had said about Schumi's skiing accident : "Everything happens for a reason and this incidence will test his character unlike anything has done before"..
I think you misunderstood him,there is nothing offensive or bad in what Hamilton said.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 18:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
So true! The cars were visibly slower now. Won't be too long before we see 1.0L engines rivalling our Marutis in there. Thanks, FIA.
Quote:

Formula 1's getting boring now, no screaming cars, boring races, no wonder if a huge chunk even stops watching it.

-Bhargav

I loved the race personally, I don't know why people are complaining so much. I know the noise is not the same as it was before, but change is a permanent part of life and this is a change that will bring us better hybrid systems in the future. These cars are producing nearly 600 bhp from a 1.6 litre engine. That is 6 times the power of the 1.6 in the Verna.

Also, the main reason these cars are slower are the new aero regs. I am pretty sure the engineering genii at the F1 teams will claw back the downforce and the cars will be just as fast by the end of the year. Don't forget these cars are already going 15 km/h faster in a straight line than last year. Personally, I love to see the drivers struggling and fighting with the torque of these turbo engines.

Coming back to the race, I think Hamilton drove an absolutely flawless race, and Rosberg was pretty good too, although I don't know why he was (relatively) struggling. Vettel drove well too and so did Alonso. The most impressive for me though was Hulkenberg. It seems that whatever car you put him in he somehow manages to be right at the sharp end of the pack. If only he was a wee bit shorter, he would have gotten a seat in the top teams much more easily.

Next up, Bahrain in a week's time. Looking forward to seeing the track in the night under the lights.

Last edited by nipcarlover : 30th March 2014 at 18:13. Reason: Forgot to quote
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 18:54   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

And its really tough for an Australian at RBR! Poor lad.

Daniel Ricciardo gets 10 place grid penalty at Bahrain
Old 30th March 2014, 19:52   #41
BHPian

Guys, take it easy. It wasnt long ago since the v10's were gone and we all were calling V8's bullshit and now we praise them. Everything has to change. Races have become very interesting in the new V6 era. Did you guys see the hulk-alonso battle? and great drive by Kobayashi. There are so many things which we should appreciate..

Impressive driving by Hamilton, well deserved victory. Absolutely no mistakes.

"Valtteri is faster than you." They couldn't have found a better choice of words...?

Kyvat in the points again. I think this kid has a big future and 3-4 years from now I wouldn't be surprised if he is fighting with Magnussen for a WDC

Best driver performance: Nico Hülkenberg. Very nice race from him, held Alonso as much as he could; a 5th place finish is great in a Force India. Hopefully he'll keep racing in the high points.

Bahrain FP1 just over 5 days away, love back to back races
muditgrover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 20:34   #42
BHPian

Couple of points from my observations

Mercedes at present looks years faster than the rest!

Red Bull will probably catch up post china. At present they have no straight line speed.

Ricardo will be told in no uncertain terms that he should not race Vettel!

Massa will probably improve over the next few races though his car has no downforce at all.

Hulkenberg IMO will be the guy to watch out for in this season.

Button will improve as well.

Kimi had bad luck today and from what i saw in the end the way Alonso charged Ferrari will have straight line speed probably by China.

It's going to be an interesting season where the driver gets to show his ability. As I said earlier you can have a fast car but you still need to drive it fast from start to finish!

Can't wait for Bahrain. The way Bahrain is designed i would guess Mercedes all the way with Ferrari being the threat but i could be wrong and Andrew may have been working on a package all along.
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 23:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

The pecking order becomes much clearer. Dominance from Mercedes, with Red Bull catching up. Great drives by Alonso and Hulk. Shame for Ric. Paranoia for Massa over the radio again.. he needs to realise team orders dont make him a No.2 driver..

Ferrari are some way off the pace and even podiums this year seem unlikely. A lot will be banking on the China upgrade package. They are 12-13 Km/hr off Merc on the straights. Quite shocking that after the windtunnel begins performing at 100%, they are quite poor aerodynamically. James Allison needs to make his presence felt quickly.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 08:13   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Ferrari seem have to exchanged its traits with the F14 T. Superior launch/ traction and high speed down the straight used to be the strengths of the car in the recent years while high speed cornering was not. Now, the F14 T looks good at the faster bends but loses out elsewhere.

A lot will depend on in season development and I think this is where RBR' real strength is. Ferrari has been poor in this during the last few years. Merc seem to have a lot at hand now. Rosberg was easily able to manage the gap to Vettel during the race. But it won't stay like that for long.
Old 31st March 2014, 09:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power;3401888.

And was expecting Kimi to put up a great show, even be a contender for the podium but it didn't happen so. I feel he doesn't have that spark or the killer-instinct left in him like Vettel does.
Its almost as if the Alonso fixation by fans all over wasnt enough that now being over critical of Kimi is the new IN . Id like to know how you inferred this when Magnussen caused a puncture and Kimi had to limp back to the pits with almost 3/4th lap left to cover.
Post the collision not just the tyre but even the floor of Kimi's car was damaged because of which there was very less downforce on the car. He was fighting from last place in a car that is not completely to his liking, slow on outright pace and low on downforce.

Tell me how any other driver including the legendary Hamiltons & Alonsos of the world could have handled the situation any differently or better. Kimi knew it was a lost race (for the podium) the moment he had the puncture so he did exactly what was expected of him, fight for points ! I think his performance was stellar when considering the car he was driving.

About whatever instinct you talk of, it is a known fact that Kimi is very sensitive to the front end of his car and likes to know what the front wheels are doing inch by inch. We also know his F14T is not there yet. That's why I just dont get your judgement.
Just because the guy doesnt bother giving clarifications or talking does not mean we form all sorts of conclusions out of the blue.

I have heard so much constant adulation for Alonso & Hamilton from every possible source that its almost sickening now. I could not care less what the world thinks but for me Kimi is THE BEST (better than the rockstars of the f1 world) ! Yes he is over sensitive to how the car responds so let his car get there (hopefully soon) & then we shall get back to the motivation and killer instinct conversation again.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st March 2014 at 13:02. Reason: Fixing quote
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote