Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 5th April 2014, 11:11   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix - Race thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Ferrari seem to be at par with Red Bull here, clear improvements being made to the car. Good to see.

Noticed some teams using 8th Gear down the straights, thats a 2014 season first. Racing in the evenings mean about 12C lower ambient temps, which will make it slightly easier on the machinery and drivers.
Even I saw that.. I saw it in Massa's Williams. First I thought I had mistaken it for '6' but it was 8th as you have said cuz he had upshifted on the straight and not downshifted.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 12:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Even I saw that.. I saw it in Massa's Williams. First I thought I had mistaken it for '6' but it was 8th as you have said cuz he had upshifted on the straight and not downshifted.

-Bhargav
What were the approximate speeds where they shifted to 8th gear? If it was just in Williams, it could be a case of trying to conserve the engine and gearbox by upshifting early and reducing the rpm levels. Their speed trap data shows they are slowest among Mercedes powered teams. It seems to be consistent with other things they've been doing like minimizing the run during the practice sessions and the team asking both the drivers to cool off and look after the engine towards the end of Malaysian GP. We are only at the 3rd weekend and these engines are supposed to last for 5 weekends. Malaysia is known to put stress on engines but it looks like Williams got some big worries after the last weekend.

Could it be a case of Williams giving higher priority to performance over reliability? We know that Ferrari and RBR are certainly not going at their full potential due to reliability concerns.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 13:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
What were the approximate speeds where they shifted to 8th gear? If it was just in Williams, it could be a case of trying to conserve the engine and gearbox by upshifting early and reducing the rpm levels. Their speed trap data shows they are slowest among Mercedes powered teams. It seems to be consistent with other things they've been doing like minimizing the run during the practice sessions and the team asking both the drivers to cool off and look after the engine towards the end of Malaysian GP.
I reckon you are right cuz I do not remember the speed but I saw that Massa wasn't stressing the engine much and was shifting up much before the max-rpm range.

-Bhargav
Old 5th April 2014, 16:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault has brought new V6 power units to Bahrain for two of its teams – Red Bull and Toro Rosso. It will be interesting to see RBR' gap to Merc this weekend.

Quote:
Although all F1 power units were homologated in February and since then performance developments have not allowed, fixes for reliability are permitted and the new Renault units feature a new shaft in the Motor Generator Unit K, which harvests energy from the brakes as well as a new oil system for the turbo and stronger exhaust.
Renault ‘A month behind Merc’, but has new engines
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 17:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:

The worst part about the night race this weekend is that it is directly conflicting with T20 World Cup finals. Just in case you get outvoted by others at home and have to watch cricket (I see a high chance of that in my case!), repeat telecast is at 9AM on Monday. Might have to watch the second half of the race after the cricket match and then watch the first half in the morning.

If you've got a decently fast internet connection, then I suggest you stream the race online. It's just about as good as what you see on TV.
AbelAFC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 19:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Renault has brought new V6 power units to Bahrain for two of its teams – Red Bull and Toro Rosso. It will be interesting to see RBR' gap to Merc this weekend.

Renault ‘A month behind Merc’, but has new engines
So I guess they are into their 2nd engine already, out of the 5 allowed.

EDIT: Do they get any penalty because the first engine did not last 5 weekends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
If you've got a decently fast internet connection, then I suggest you stream the race online. It's just about as good as what you see on TV.
Net speed is more than decent but the data plan is not unlimited - their speed for unlimited was not sufficient for me. So it'll burn a hole in my pocket if I stream for 90 minutes. :(

Last edited by zenren : 5th April 2014 at 19:42.
Old 5th April 2014, 21:38   #22
BHPian

Raikkonen out qualifies Alonso, Bottas outqualifies Massa, Rosberg outqualifies Hamilton, Checo out qualifies Hulk.
We have got a race in hand tomorrow. P5, make it P4 for Perez, he must be delighted. Hulk has a strong car, lets see what he can do from P11.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 22:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Raikkonen out qualifies Alonso, Bottas outqualifies Massa, Rosberg outqualifies Hamilton, Checo out qualifies Hulk.
We have got a race in hand tomorrow. P5, make it P4 for Perez, he must be delighted. Hulk has a strong car, lets see what he can do from P11.
Ricciardo out qualifies Vettel by miles. Superb drive from Ricciardo to take the best possible position among the rest of the teams - we can see him charging through the field tomorrow. Would Vettel hear a message like "Daniel is faster than you, don't hold him up" on his radio?

Ricciardo and Perez are the only drivers who were leagues ahead of their team mates. Rest were all pretty close and could have gone either way. Not sure if Hulkenberg's weight is slowing him down on a relatively faster track like this. Two races at the front and Ricciardo is still on 0 points. Really hope he gets some points tomorrow.

I hope Bottas need not worry about team orders this time. Most of the #2 drivers are ahead for tomorrow's race. So if they can pull ahead of their team mates, they could have a decent race tomorrow without compromising their race for their team mates.

Didn't expect Ferrari to do any better than 9 and 10 after seeing the first few minutes of Q3. Kimi managed to put together a good lap at the right time. He badly needs to finish ahead of Alonso to ensure he gets the respect he deserves within Ferrari. Unless he is close to Alonso in championship points, his races could be compromised for Alonso's sake though I don't see either of them anywhere close in the title battle given how Ferrari is performing. Finishing 4th or 5th in WDC is something neither of them would care one bit.
Old 5th April 2014, 22:19   #24
BHPian

I think it's safe to say by now that this year belongs to Rosberg or Hamilton.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 22:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Net speed is more than decent but the data plan is not unlimited - their speed for unlimited was not sufficient for me. So it'll burn a hole in my pocket if I stream for 90 minutes. :(
Oh, that's gotta suck. Good luck to you then, dear sir!
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 22:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kimi managed to put together a good lap at the right time. He badly needs to finish ahead of Alonso to ensure he gets the respect he deserves within Ferrari.
To that.

He needs it big time.
Overall, was a happy qualification round for us Kimi fans, not for his grid spot, but since he is ahead of Fonso.

I hope Kimi gets a podium finnish tomorrow.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 23:53   #27

Quote:
Didn't expect Ferrari to do any better than 9 and 10 after seeing the first few minutes of Q3. Kimi managed to put together a good lap at the right time. He badly needs to finish ahead of Alonso to ensure he gets the respect he deserves within Ferrari.
Kimi is excellent. I am not saying Alonso isn't, today just wasn't his day!
Kimi will surely get the respect that he deserves.

I was mighty impressed by Perez and Bottas today!
But not so impressed with Massa, Hulkenberg and Magnussen. I feel they could've done better.
Other than that, Mercedes looks really very strong this season. Our defending champion better watch out!
I will be supporting Lewis for tomorrow's race. Let's see how it goes!
Shanky_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 09:41   #28
BHPian

What happened to Hulkenberg?!! I had such high hopes for him to get placed top 5 : (.
I had to leave right after the qualy 3 session. Did he say happened in post-qualy interviews?
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 10:50   #29
BHPian

I read Perez's tweet saying that they will be bringing quite a few new things to Bahrain, and I must say I am surprised by his performance. Didn't expect him to put up such a good show(and also the highest speed of the quali).

If they use all their talent and experience I think Alo and Kimi both can climb atleast 2 places just a few seconds into the start.

1st place fight will be only between the two Mercs and can't see anyother driver challenging them, whoever will be ahead after the 1st lap will begin just going farther and farther from the rest of the pack and go all the way to the finish.

-Bhargav
Old 6th April 2014, 10:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

It was quite obvious to me Alonso had a problem with the car. Had to be a reason for being 6 tenths off Kimi all of a sudden.

Quote:
“Yeah it was not a clean qualifying unfortunately,” Alonso told reporters in Bahrain.

“I was losing power through the qualifying, every lap that we went out it seems the car to be slower and slower on the straight so we need to check if it was something damaged or something that we could do for tomorrow better.

“Maybe in the car, the floor of the car or whatever, or there was something in the electric motor or whatever that was not perfectly combined.
Same thing with Vettel too, downshifting and top speed issues.

Last edited by Hatari : 6th April 2014 at 10:57.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote