Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 6th July 2014, 22:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 2014 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit - Race Thread

Lessons to be learnt from Hamilton's performances -
1. Never take anything for granted (qualifying)
2. Never give up (race day)
Great racing between Alonso and Vettel. The cribbing could have been lesser.
Bad shunt for Raikkonen, but good to see him walk away. Unlucky for Rosberg and Massa.
Overall, great performance from Hamilton, Ricciardo and the new "Flying Finn" - Valtteri Bottas. Good to see Button doing decently as well.
PS: Hamilton's pit stops need to improve
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 23:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

The scrap between Alonso and Vettel was both entertaining and hilarious. The way Alonso was taking different lines all the time and giving Vettel hope was fun to watch.
Vettel—stop crying, F1 is a race after all.
Racers don't give way for you to overtake, they find a way!
tharian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 08:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

What a great race it was. I had a guest at home, so the red flag and the subsequent delay worked perfectly for me. Lewis was due some luck and he got some. Nico' first retirement puts the championship back to square one.

I have no idea how Daniel made those medium tyres last that long. That's one amazing talent behind that very likable smile. Vettel doesn't know what he has got into. Bottas had an amazing drive to finish second from that far back and put in some stunning moves. Shame we didn't get to see him more during the telecast. And what to say about the amazing duel between Alonso and Vettel? It was epic and I thoroughly enjoyed the defense from Alonso to keep faster RedBull on better tyres for that long.

PS: Chilton recorded one of the longest pit stops in history when he got stuck there due to the red flag.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 09:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to Bottas - that was a remarkable performance to get P2 after being eliminated in Q1.

Good to see Rosberg retiring and the title race back to full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Epic battle between Alonso and Vettel for the fifth!
Vettel was complaining like a little boy that Alonso didnt leave him room!!
There was no need to crib but both drivers were complaining, just like the numerous dives we see in the FIFA world cup this time to get a penalty.

Even Alonso started cribbing after Vettel overtook him about Vettel going off track, though even he was also doing the same lap after lap, got a warning flag and was continuing to run off track. In the end, Vettel finished more than 5 seconds clear of the Ferrari; otherwise Ferrari might have appealed to the stewards to give Vettel a 5 second time penalty.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 10:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Epic battle between Alonso and Vettel for the fifth!
Vettel was complaining like a little boy that Alonso didnt leave him room!!
You got to see this. There is a bit of history with Alonso and the "space".

SilentEngine is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Awesome fight between the 2 multiple times champions. Alonso's move on Vettel was BALLSY!! He basically gave Vettel the option to back-off or crash. I guess in the end Vettel did the same when he took back the position. Absolutely thrilling.

Awesome drive by Bottas. Mercedes is way ahead of everyone. They need not even take part on a Saturday to get a 1-2 on Sunday (reliability apart). From yesterday's performance, even Williams didn't need to run on a Saturday for a podium finish on Sunday. Only 2 points away from Ferrari now.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic duel between Alonso and Vettel! If only it had been further up the field for victory or even a podium, because that is where these 2 drivers are meant to be.

The law of averages meant that Rosberg was due for a DNF and it had come on a day when Lewis took victory gleefully, cutting the gap to Rosberg to just 4 points. Barring any more DNFs, I think Lewis should romp home to the championship from here on in.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 18:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Fantastic duel between Alonso and Vettel! If only it had been further up the field for victory or even a podium, because that is where these 2 drivers are meant to be.

The law of averages meant that Rosberg was due for a DNF and it had come on a day when Lewis took victory gleefully, cutting the gap to Rosberg to just 4 points. Barring any more DNFs, I think Lewis should romp home to the championship from here on in.

The good thing with Lewis this season seems that he appears a lot more "grounded" and "cool". It's going to be an exciting season going forth!
Pratik Chavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Even Alonso started cribbing after Vettel overtook him about Vettel going off track, though even he was also doing the same lap after lap, got a warning flag and was continuing to run off track. In the end, Vettel finished more than 5 seconds clear of the Ferrari; otherwise Ferrari might have appealed to the stewards to give Vettel a 5 second time penalty.
After Vettels pass over Alonso I thought he was complaining about the formers incorrect use of DRS in non DRS zones and not about him going offtrack?

But what a fight!!! Epic. Reminded me of the fights Alonso used to have with Schumi.

Last edited by Shashidl : 7th July 2014 at 19:53.
Shashidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 20:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post
After Vettels pass over Alonso I thought he was complaining about the formers incorrect use of DRS in non DRS zones and not about him going offtrack?
Alonso was complaining that Vettel was within the DRS range to overtake him only because Vettel exceeded the track limits. I guess he must have been simply frustrated at how he couldn't gain an advantage in relative terms by exceeding track limits just because the guy behind ran even wider and gained a bigger advantage.

Here is a radio transcript:
Quote:
“He take the DRS thanks to the track limits in the last corner,” Alonso told race engineer Andrea Stella. “He take the DRS out of turn five and out of turn nine. What more I need to do?”
source:f1fanatic

I think Alonso is actually referring to turn 14 when he said turn 9 which might have created the confusion. There is no DRS zone out of turn 9 and Vettel and RBR would have certainly been penalized if they used DRS in a non-DRS zone.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 22:20   #26
BHPian

Talking Re: 2014 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit - Race Thread

While the British Grand Prix was very exciting, it lacked that little thing we all look for in a race.

Fun!

So F1 fans, check this out!
F1 world champion, Kimi Raikkonen taking a lawnmower out for a race on a rally special stage with Martin Brundle, Anthony Davidson & Johnny Herbert!
Seems Kimi has it all figured out on what to do after retiring from F1 next season

sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 00:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
While the British Grand Prix was very exciting, it lacked that little thing we all look for in a race.

Fun!
F1 drivers belong to a planet of their own, one can simply not beat them at any form of racing :P

If I liked anyone after Schumi, it is Kimi (Alonso as well); and it will be really sad to see him bid adieu to racing next year..

Kimi has lost that fire in him, he isn't the same which he used to be and I know this, we won't get to see his old killer instinct anytime in future either. His racing days are over.

Personally for me, the grid will be short of such great drivers and it will not be as exciting as it used to be..

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:59   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Kimi has lost that fire in him, he isn't the same which he used to be
IMHO, Kimi very much has the fire in him as was evident last year.

However, we got to understand that having a team-mate is one thing, and someone like Alonso entirely another. Drivers like Schumacher & Alonso have always demolished their team-mates; they're so close to perfection that it's impossible to beat them. Despite trying his best, ending up slower than Alonso must hugely take away from Kimi's motivation levels. It must be devastating for him.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote