Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 18th June 2016, 20:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Baku (Azerbaijan) Street Circuit revealed. To host F1 race in 2016

Poor Hulk.. just threw away a podium?
Lewis and the Williams position ought to spice up racing.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 21:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
F1 safety has gone backwards at Baku
I don't follow F1 but today I saw a bit of it.
I won't be surprised if I see multiple crashes here.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 07:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

It will be an incident packed race going by the practice and qualifying.
There will definitely be a lot of Virtual Safety Car deployment and maybe full safety car as well.
It is a new track and lot of drivers are still finding their limits and it is very easy to exceed them on a new track.
Lewis will have a hard time moving up the field if he cannot make a quick getaway in the race.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 10:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@speedmiester; Yes, very likely. I watched the qualifying in full this morning having recorded it last evening. May I say a lot may depend of the shuntmaster Hamilton's antics. Yes, VSC and/or SC definitely, maybe even a Red flag.

The curcuit is interesting, a dumb bell, the modern section with rectilinear boulevards and not too exciting, and the medieval section which is more interesting, more like Monta Carlo. The two are joined with a bit of fast road (both sides in parallel). What is worrying me is that some joker may spin and then damage the turret of the ancient fort.

Yes, on the whole much better than the clinical (Tilke designed!) modern dedicated circuits.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th June 2016 at 10:26.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 20:48   #20
BHPian

Well that was clean race by all the drivers. Mercedes was flying, So was Perez in Force India. Ferrari was lucky to secure 2nd and 4th position, Perez would have given some fight to Rosberg had he started from P2.
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 20:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see no SC or VSC. Drivers were cautious in the beginning then they figured it out. I must say the circuit was a revelation. Plenty of scope for overtaking. I prefer it very much to the Micky Mouse Tilke creations.

A few observations:

1. Seems that Pirelli have the tyres sorted out. Most of them did it on a single stop.

2. Ferrari obviously have a power problem. Esp when compared to the Merc power + chassis combo. Renault and Honda have to work even harder.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 21:49   #22
BHPian

All the more reason to keep mouth tightly closed until the racing weekend is over and the fat lady has sung.

From this after the practice sessions on Friday,
“One thing for sure is that these drivers moan so much about so many things,” said the reigning Champ.

To moaning about the Radio ban after the race
"I don't see the benefit. The FIA have made Formula One so technical,” he continued.

The salt on the wound is this - It was also reported Rosberg had the same problem as Hamilton, but the Championship Leader managed to fix it quicker than the Brit

Last edited by jraj : 19th June 2016 at 21:50.
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 21:55   #23
BHPian

All the drivers were very cautious. Not even a single incidence on such a difficult circuit

Rosberg was on his own and no one came closer to pose real challenge. He must be very happy to extend his lead.

Vettle had to settle for second place once again.

Perez has shown very good pace and driving skills. Another podium for Force India. Feels really good.

Raikkonen made another costly mistake (crossing the pit entry white line using all four tyres) for which he was handed over 5 second penalty. He missed a potential 2nd place.

Hamilton was on damage limitation mode. He is surely cursing self for qualifying mistake. He suffered technical issue once again and was struggling to find the right setup during the race. The communication with his team was enjoyable. Later he found the correct setup but very less laps were remaining so he decided to settle for 5th.

Red Bulls provided lot of action in the rest of the grid. They lacked the outright pace today.

Almost all the teams were hoping for safety car which did not happen. That's why many drivers pitted as early as lap 6.

I think the hero of the race was the circuit. It was difficult and very different than what we have seen so far.

The flying plastic sheets (read debris) was scary
Imagine these sheets going into radiators and blowing up the engine.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th June 2016 at 23:06. Reason: Typo corrected
mp417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 00:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post

Hamilton was on damage limitation mode. He is surely cursing self for qualifying mistake. He suffered technical issue once again and was struggling to find the right setup during the race. The communication with his team was enjoyable. Later he found the correct setup but very less laps were remaining so he decided to settle for 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
All the more reason to keep mouth tightly closed until the racing weekend is over and the fat lady has sung.

From this after the practice sessions on Friday,
“One thing for sure is that these drivers moan so much about so many things,” said the reigning Champ.

To moaning about the Radio ban after the race
"I don't see the benefit. The FIA have made Formula One so technical,” he continued.

The salt on the wound is this - It was also reported Rosberg had the same problem as Hamilton, but the Championship Leader managed to fix it quicker than the Brit

Interesting to hear Lauda’s quote ‘it’s a problem they both had and Nico could fix it quicker than Lewis………Lewis did not get the speed out of the car that Nico did” – very interesting indeed when you hear that Lewis is not bothered with Simulator time and track walks etc. Maybe you will be more familiar with the 99 buttons on the steering and even know what they do if you spend more time with it at the simulator.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 10:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Interesting to hear Lauda’s quote ‘it’s a problem they both had and Nico could fix it quicker than Lewis………Lewis did not get the speed out of the car that Nico did” – very interesting indeed when you hear that Lewis is not bothered with Simulator time and track walks etc. Maybe you will be more familiar with the 99 buttons on the steering and even know what they do if you spend more time with it at the simulator.

Really? Not familiar with the 99 buttons, at 350kmph, he would be allowed IN the car?
Rosberg managed to find the correct setting just 3 laps before Lewis. By the EXACT same hit and try that Lewis was doing. Just that he had that little extra luxury of being at the forefront.

That being said, this looks like a boring circuit. Most of the race was telecast from high up angles, so even more unappealing.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 12:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I found this race pretty boring. For a track that had the longest straight, I did not feel the cars to be going fast enough. I think the rest of the track is not as quick. I also did not see a good amount of overtaking; even Monaco had more overtaking than this race. Was pretty disappointed really!!

Last edited by Epic : 20th June 2016 at 12:21.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 12:22   #27
BHPian

I watched Baku race in bits and pieces. Like someone said somewhere, I like the historical part of the track than the modern side. But that turn 8 and 9 (or is it 7 and 8) is really really narrow and I could observe that they were really cautious.
Nice outcome from the race as far as I am concerned - P3 for Force India. I am happy. Good recovery. With performance like this, they should be coming real close to Williams to replace them from the 4th place in constructors (I hope and wish)
As for Hamilton, less said the better.
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 12:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Boring race. Nothing appealing - the race or the track.

Would have loved to see Perez in the wall (or any FI car) for that matter. That team is as Indian as Azerbaijan is Europe (last i knew it was Central Asia). & the only "Indian" connection to that team is hiding in UK. Yes, really gets my patriotism flowing! (NOT)
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 14:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure if anyone noted, RBR (Ricciardo) was on the front of the grid and Renault (Palmer) on the last row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Frankly, I found this race pretty boring. For a track that had the longest straight, I did not feel the cars to be going fast enough. I think the rest of the track is not as quick. I also did not see a good amount of overtaking; even Monaco had more overtaking than this race. Was pretty disappointed really!!
I agree it was a boring race. More so after an exciting qualifying where most ended up on the run off area. So was expecting a first turn melee, SC, VSC, many on run off area. None of this happened

But I think there were quite a lot overtaking, not at the front. But there was quite a bit of action behind the top 5. Among the notable moves, RIC climbed from 12th to 7th after his second stop. VES moved from 16th/18th (don't remember) to 8th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
That team is as Indian as Azerbaijan is Europe (last i knew it was Central Asia). & the only "Indian" connection to that team is hiding in UK.
That said, except Ferrari and Haas. All other cars are designed in Britain. Am not sure how it will play out after the Brits exit the European Union.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2016, 20:04   #30
BHPian

Wonder why the sudden interest in lifting the radio ban? Moaning

Some of the team radio exchanges were hilarious. We have not had entertainment on the radio like this for a while.

Lewis:
Quote:
Hamilton: "This is ridiculous guys, I don't know. I'm looking at my fricking dash every five seconds trying to find a switch in the wrong position. I've not changed anything or done anything wrong that I'm aware of."

Pete Bonnington (race engineer): "There is nothing you are doing wrong, just a setting that is incorrect."

Hamilton: "In HTB?"

Bonnington: "I'm afraid I can't say."

Hamilton: "I might not finish this race as I'm going to try and change everything."

Bonnington: "We do not advise that Lewis."

Hamilton: "Can I make suggestions and you say if it's OK or not?"

Bonnington: "No, that's not allowed. Let's just got our heads down and focus on the job."
Kimi:
Quote:
Raikkonen: “It's the same problem as the last race?"

Ferrari: “I can’t say Kimi.”

Raikkonen: "For sure you can say 'yes' or 'no'?!?".

Ferrari: "I can't Kimi."
Regarding the issues with the Mercs, apparently Rosberg was in the wrong mode because he changed the switch, and then changed it back.

Hamilton's was a different issue.

A spokesman said: ""Nico had made a change during the race that caused the issue. So when told it was an issue with the mode, as permitted by the FIA, he switched back out of it.

"Lewis had the setting from the start of the race and it was not obvious that this setting was causing the problem.

"Fundamental problem is on our heads as it was a configuration not working properly, not the driver's fault. But the radio rules complicated things drastically: without this, it would have been solved immediately."

This will only add to Hamilton's annoyed mood and I hope Lewis responds in the next race at Austria where Nico has an advantage statistically. A fully fired up Lewis trying to overhaul Nico's lead in championships would be the best thing that could happen in 2016 in an otherwise "predictable" season.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote