Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 23rd August 2006, 10:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
People tend to eulogise a person and add wings to him after death. Posthumous accolades should be compared only after Michael's time.

People also tend to romanticize Senna because of his flambouyant personality and his spectacular death.
And that's the reason why I was mentioning "drivers", not necessarily people as in you, me and the general "junta".......I'm talking about his contemporaries on the track.

I do not agree that its for Schumi alone that we are watching F1 today. Believe me, I had STOPPED watching F1 completely for about a year and a half when it was a red one-two procession (or at least a one) from pole to podium and most times the lead extended and race won on pit lane strategy rather than wheel to wheel driving (as we are now fortunate to see but not necessarily through Schumi). It was BORING and predictable and didn't make my day.

There's no denying that he's a good driver as also there's no denying that he's ruthless and doesn't give a s**t for anyone who gets in his way, be it his own brother or anyone else. But I don't want to start another MS vs non-MS and have the thread closed so I'm out of here.......
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 09:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
People tend to eulogise a person and add wings to him after death. Posthumous accolades should be compared only after Michael's time.

People also tend to romanticize Senna because of his flambouyant personality and his spectacular death. Michael does not have that magnetic personality and I dont think he particularly wants a similarly spectacular exit.

In his days, Senna was as much a bad boy as any other driver. People tend to forget these things and remember only the good parts after he died.

As for Jacques - who is he to talk about Michael ? The late Gilles had much better control over both his tongue and his car, and he is the reason Jacques was able to sniff around F1. He's been tolerated for too long - let us not attach too much importance to what the likes of him, Eddie Irvine and Damon Hill say.

If it werent for Schumacher, many of us wouldnt be watching F1 today. I mean both the fans that swear by him and those that watch F1 to swear AT him.

I think we are fortunate to be around to watch one of the greatest drivers in action. I say one of the because it does not make sense to compare across eras - the cars, the rules, the tracks, the engines and the tyres were different.

Let us therefore be thankful that we have the opportunity to take sides for and against him. Ignore the inconsequential mosquitos like Jacques.

You just hit the nail on its head.... this should settle the things once and for all...
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 10:31   #48
Team-BHP Support

OT: ***!! this is every where eh... i meant all the forums...
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 10:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
OT: ***!! this is every where eh... i meant all the forums...
JV could get real famous for his ZERO status....
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 12:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a case of sour grapes!

I used to like Jaques earlier for thrilling racing with MS in early part of his career. But, he hasn't done anything worthwhile later on to prove his mettle.

He keeps on harping that MS will be forgotten, but at the same time, complains that his fans are so loyal to him that they treat black as white, just because MS says so. Common man, make up your mind!

MS will remain controversial legend for long time to come, for the huge fan following that he has, along with vociferous contigent of MS haters (though they clearly are in minority ) )
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 12:35   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To me, MS will go on to become the greatest legend in F1 cos:

1. The only driver I know of who dominated so good that the rules of the game changed!

2. Most drivers choose the best car available to them. MS has a chance to drive for Mc but still went ahead with Ferrari, which in 1996 was far from domination. As Frank Williams had once said, there were no dearth of seats available to MS and he didnt know of a single team in the paddock which would refuse him a place.

3. MS is the only driver who has turned around a teams fortunes so brilliantly. Of course, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt, Bryne etc. had an equal part but that does not make Michael Schumachers contribution any less significant.

Just being a good driver is not enough to win 7 championships. There is a lot more.....team work skills, motivation levels, practicality, the ability to test in an extreme manner etc.

You can argue that hes not the best, but no one can argue versus his achievements.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 13:48   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
To me, MS will go on to become the greatest legend in F1 cos:

1. The only driver I know of who dominated so good that the rules of the game changed!
You said the words right out of my mouth!! Proves schumi is a legend. But sometimes I feel F1 sucks because they had to change the rules to prevent him from winning. There are legends in other games too who completely dominate like Federer, Woods or Armstrong but for these games the rules were never changed. Also nowdays there is "reservation" in F1 too.. (V8 vs V10)
wiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 15:39   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiking
Also nowdays there is "reservation" in F1 too.. (V8 vs V10)
I couldnt get you....??
Old 24th August 2006, 16:26   #54
BHPian

what I meant was one of the teams is still using 3.0L V10 engine (restricted) while the others are using 2.4L V8.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/4783108.stm
wiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 16:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiking
what I meant was one of the teams is still using 3.0L V10 engine (restricted) while the others are using 2.4L V8.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/4783108.stm
Oh that i know ofcourse... actually i thought by mentioning "reservation" were hinting that these v10 engines were getting undue advantages....
Old 24th August 2006, 18:26   #56
BHPian

Everyone has an opinion about everything. JV has an opinion about Schumi. Schumi is hated by many people and will never be a legend or whatever for them and I guess JV is one of them...
(I'm with JV here
madhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 19:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
As Frank Williams had once said, there were no dearth of seats available to MS and he didnt know of a single team in the paddock which would refuse him a place.
Exactly.Even today if he goes and says that i am available most of the teams wont hesitate for a moment to offer him a drive and that Mr Flavio will be first in the queue followed Mr Ronny.BMW repotedly offered MS 100m US$ for one year,the same team who threw out JV,the noisy kid.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote