Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2015 MotoGP championship?
Marc Marquez 21 15.22%
Jorge Lorenzo 27 19.57%
Dani Pedrosa 1 0.72%
Valentino Rossi 89 64.49%
Others 0 0%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th July 2015, 12:20   #406
BHPian

Default Re: The 2015 MotoGP Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seems its time for the Marquez fanboys to come out of the woodwork now, since the Jorge ones (as predicted) have retreated quietly back into the dark recesses from which they tentatively emerged into the sunlight to bask in the sudden spate of victories.
The same old refrain - Rossi is just lucky and had it really easy, and Marquez is the second coming of Jesus. Not even gonna go out of my way now to respond, folks can be happy with what they believe in.

Guess people clearly forget how Marquez is the one who's lucky to have a great bike since day 1, with even rules being tweaked and twisted to get him on the premier class ahead of many others who had an equal chance, if not better. So who exactly has really had it easy? And when you get spanked, it's a "MORAL VICTORY" to fall back on!

Rossi won his first 125 title in 1996, when MM was 3 years old!

Someone who won his first title in 1996 when the current flavor of the season was 3 years old = too old/has been

Someone who's still in the best shape of his life and giving everyone a run for their money and is the title race leader = not as good as MM/JLO in recent years.

Funny how the tide shifts depending on whether JLo/MM is the recent savior.

Last edited by Parth46 : 16th July 2015 at 12:28.
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 17:24   #407
BHPian

In my order of all time greats in riding it is - Doohan, Rossi and Marc.

I think that Marc will be the next big thing. He crashed too often in the beginning of this year as there was a problem with the frame he was running and also rumors of compression lock on the Honda engine. If he had a bike that was not doing what it was supposed to do, he has no choice but to push it and sometimes ride beyond the ability of the bike. Was he being aggressive? Yes, most definitely, but that's what he is paid to do, just like Rossi. He has an aim and that is to take the top step. If he was being too aggressive, he would have been warned/banned and again I am sure that the people running the races are more qualified to view/analyse this stuff more than us.

I am still rooting for Rossi and hope that he will take this championship and the next and the next and the next.....but for anyone to say that Marc is not a good rider, has only won on the best bike, etc. is silly.
killjoy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 19:24   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
The same old refrain - Rossi is just lucky and had it really easy, and Marquez is the second coming of Jesus. Not even gonna go out of my way now to respond, folks can be happy with what they believe in.

Funny how the tide shifts depending on whether JLo/MM is the recent savior.
No one ever won world championships with just luck and it is never easy to win one. What was referred to was the relative advantage Rossi had during the so called 1000 cc debut (I'm actually intrigued that someone called this a debut) compared to Marquez's debut in motogp. It's not what one believes in, but are straight facts.

And, no..if someone praises a rider in opposite camp, it doesn't mean the tide has shifted. It just means calling spade a spade. I don't see anything wrong in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Seems its time for the Marquez fanboys to come out of the woodwork now, since the Jorge ones (as predicted) have retreated quietly back into the dark recesses from which they tentatively emerged into the sunlight to bask in the sudden spate of victories.
We (Lorenzo fans) are still here and active on the thread. On a side note, pls check my prediction for Sachsenring. Even before the race I was sure that it is difficult for Jorge to be on podium. Being realistic about the chances of your favourite sportsperson and praising someone who does a good job doesn't mean you are jumping camp.

My take on Marc and Rossi's relationship (or the lack of it).

They are both racers. In racing there are no friends on the track..period! It is not possible off track too. The simple reason being what happens off track (mind games etc) has a bearing on the track.

In many ways Rossi has the best PR / branding skills in business. He is jovial off track, fierce on it, takes time to smile and blow kisses to camera, has a good humour during interviews etc. No one even comes close to him in this area. Other riders like Lorenzo, Pedrosa etc mostly make do with being politically correct in media, make the mandatory appearances and get away from the cameras as quickly as possible.

Marc on the other hand is still a novice in this area and is learning the ropes. For ex, his comment that he likes to push (and face the consequences) rather than finishing 20 seconds behind the winner is not what Honda bosses would have wanted him to say.

The incident in Parc Ferme of Sachsenring is another winning stroke by Rossi and a personal PR Kamikaze dive by Marquez. At the bottom of their hearts both of them would have preferred to look away and not face each other. May be Marquez remained true to these emotions, but Rossi did the politically right thing and went ahead to congratulate him. On the other hand, the snub by Marquez could also be a part of the mind games. Just an indication that all the niceties are out of the window now and the swords are drawn.

My quick opinion on mental strengths of the riders,

Best focus : Lorenzo
Best strategist: Rossi
Toughest nut to crack: Marquez

I'm not sure how these are going to pan out in the remaining 9 races but it is going to be a cracker of a season.

Last edited by badri : 16th July 2015 at 19:54.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 21:38   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems have to find words on what I wish to convey to my fellow motorsport enthusiast brothers.

I, the lesser Rossi fan amongst few of you, have never ever said anything negative about Rossi, hell, I don't tolerate it myself, but at the same time, would prefer calling the spade, a spade.

Rossi might win this championship or he might not. Doesn't lessen the efforts of others and he wouldn't be Rossi if not for his rivals. I myself have had the privilege to watch him for the past a decade and a half and have never shifted camps goodness, am labelled as a traitor as well.

As much as I like him, I also like Marc Marquez, the first Spanish rider I liked watching and one of the rival of Rossi whom I appreciate and will root for once Rossi hangs his leathers. I [also] root for him when I know Rossi does not have a chance to win a certain race.

Have never been a Lorenzo fan and never will, but his clinical riding skills does make me drop my jaw. No one rode at Philip Island the way Casey did. You cannot discredit these things. Or you might chose to, your choice.

Race-craft? Rossi, no two ways about this, always.

The point of this rant was, I, as a lesser Rossi worshiper also appreciate other riders on the grid and believe few have it in them to win a championship as well as the race. 2011 to 2014 is a prime & shining example of all this. Where was Papa all these years?
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2015, 12:05   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

A Very interesting article I came across. Tires may be the decider.

Link
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 21:52   #411
BHPian

From motomatters.com - Interview of Silvano Galbusera, crew chief of Valentino Rossi.

One interesting reply (from Part 2 of the interview)

Q: What has impressed you most about working with Valentino? What makes him special?

SG: Because every time, he want to be the best, he want to improve our situation. He remember everything after the race, the bike behaviour, the position of the other riders, where he gained, where he lost. He is more than a computer. It was a good help for us to understand how to improve the bike. This is what's impressive for me, because he's fast, but at the same time he has some space in the memory to understand the bike, to understand the race.

Silvano Galbusera Interview, Part 1: On Replacing Jeremy Burgess As Valentino Rossi's Crew Chief

https://motomatters.com/interview/20...t_1_on_re.html

Silvano Galbusera Interview, Part 2: On What Makes Working With Valentino Rossi So Special

https://motomatters.com/interview/20...t_2_on_wh.html

Last edited by badri : 23rd July 2015 at 21:54.
badri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 16:29   #412
BHPian

OT - Yamaha wins Suzuka 8 hours race!

Yamaha factory team of Katsuyuki Nakasuga, Pol Espargaro and Bradley Smith took a comfortable victory at the Suzuka 8 hrs race. They dominated the whole weekend including qualifying in which Pol broke the lap record.

1 hour into the race, Casey Stoner was leading for Mushashi Honda when a stuck throttle resulted in a huge crash for him. He had multiple fractures ( broken scalpula and tibia). Looking at the crash, he seems to be lucky to have escaped with just these injuries.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/221...zuka-lead.html

You can hear Casey's bike hitting rev limiter as he tries to enter the turn.

Last edited by badri : 26th July 2015 at 16:46.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 13:23   #413
BHPian

Indy will be taken by?
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 13:53   #414
Senior - BHPian

Going by the success Honda has had at Indy over the years; winning the GP 5/7 times and all of the wins coming in the last 5 years, I can safely give the edge to Honda this time around as well.

Order of finishing IMO - Marquez, Pedrosa, Rossi

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 7th August 2015 at 14:14.
ashwin.terminat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 20:49   #415
BHPian

Lorenzo tops the timesheets in FP1
killjoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 00:25   #416
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff in FP1 and FP2.

JL99 leads both from MM93. FP1 by 0.093s and FP2 by 0.003s!
Old 8th August 2015, 21:33   #417
Senior - BHPian

And the Hondas respond handsomely!

MM93 tops FP3 with DP26 in 4th place.

JL99 in 5th and VR46 in 9th.

MM93 improved on his FP2 time by 0.5s and DP26 by close to 0.58s. In comparison, the Yamahas improved on their FP2 times by 0.041s(JL99) and 0.6s(VR46).

Now onto Qualifying!
Old 9th August 2015, 00:57   #418
Senior - BHPian

And MM93 is on pole!

1) MM93
2) DP26
3) JL99

VR46, 8th.
Old 10th August 2015, 00:18   #419
Senior - BHPian

Well, credit where credits due. That was a very mature ride from mm, to wait that long.
And a killer fight from the old boy! Such fun. And for the first time, the top of the grid looked to be so clustered, no? No 30 second gaps.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 00:18   #420
Senior - BHPian

So,

1) Marc Marquez
2) Jorge Lorenzo
3) Valentino Rossi
4) Dani Pedrosa

So as it stands in the championship

1) VR46 - 195
2) JL99 - 186
3) MM93 - 139

Superb ride from MM93 to get the lead as late as he did in the race. No life threatening(subjective) overtaking manoeuvres, just pure racing.

Brilliant ride from VR46 to capitalize on every single mistake Dani Pedrosa made in the last few laps to continue his run of being on the podium every race this season.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 10th August 2015 at 00:20.