Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2015 MotoGP championship?
Marc Marquez 21 15.22%
Jorge Lorenzo 27 19.57%
Dani Pedrosa 1 0.72%
Valentino Rossi 89 64.49%
Others 0 0%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th August 2015, 06:47   #451
BHPian

Default Re: The 2015 MotoGP Thread

Second part of the Trunkman analysis. Shows you how a biased media can manufacture a king out of a mummer.

http://trunkman.co.uk/blog/doctored-...-rossi-part-2/
MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 07:41   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Second part of the Trunkman analysis.

Thanks for sharing.

Going through the article, it is clear that media plays a very important role in Rossi's prominence. Take a look at the following paragraphs which state clear facts and not just the opinion of the writer.

"But, since it (MCN sport) returned to newsstands in late 2009 there have been 21 issues. Valentino Rossi has appeared as the cover star 10 times. If you discount the annual IOM TT special issues, you’re looking at Rossi being on the cover around two thirds of the time. That’s also not including his smaller appearances on numerous other covers, though not as the feature.

In that same time, across those sixteen issues, Casey Stoner graced the cover once. Jorge Lorenzo, not at all as a featured star but did appear standing behind Rossi, with Stoner, on one occasion. During the time period of these publications Valentino Rossi won 4 GPs and no titles.. Lorenzo won 33 races and two world titles. Stoner won 18, a title plus he announced his retirement in 2012. To be fair, Marc Marquez graced two covers in this period for his four titles and 45 wins, but that’s still well short of Rossi’s coverage."

" And finally, to my personal bugbear. Rossi is constantly referred to as a nine time world champion. Which he is. But almost every time Lorenzo is mentioned, he is the double world champion. The same for Marquez. Or Pedrosa, still searching for that first title. If Lorenzo is a double world champion, then Rossi is a seven times world champion. It is still apparent Rossi has had more success and it’s accurate. Or if Rossi is a nine time world champion, Lorenzo is a four time world champion. It’s unconscious stuff like this that plays into the whole broader problem."

Last edited by badri : 27th August 2015 at 07:52.
badri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 08:02   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
A little bit of history here. In 2007 Casey Stoner and the Bridgestone shod Ducati dominated motogp to an extent that Rossi decided that he should be on Bridgestones too for 2008. Problem was, Bridgestone was not ready to oblige him and decided not to supply. Rossi managed to get Dorna involved and arm twist Bridgestone to supply him the tyres. However, they agreed to supply only Rossi and not Lorenzo.
Wasn't aware of this. Thanks.
MonsterPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 08:52   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shows you how a biased media can manufacture a king out of a mummer.
Past pages would show that I support Rossi but I do respect other riders. Media also has been biased towards Rossi & has favored him, commentators as well.

But you Sir, actually claim Rossi & his victories as a fluke or not deserving? This is wrong. [Mummer is a slang & has many meanings but none of them show it in a positive light]

I would request you to be careful about this. Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 09:30   #455
Senior - BHPian

"Well, its known that the media has a huge role to play in MotoGP championships.
Its the same with F1, isn't it? You have to be in favor with Bernie, if you want to even exist in F1, much less be champion. Just like he's been bypassing the Mercedes' "extra" developments and within that also favoring Lewis. Earlier it was Alonso, before that Schumacher and Ferrari.
There is no figure like Bernie on the MotoGP grid, so the maker-or-breaker mantle is occupied by the media. They decide who is champ. Write enough about Rossi, and the authorities know that this guy will have to be made champion this year. However, in recent years, the authorities tried to be fair, which were the times when true riders were champs, MM, JL, and their ilk. But within a few years it was fairly apparent to them that viewership with Rossi at the back was dismal. They were not managing to pull in even 20% of eyeballs compared when Rossi was pulling his antics. And, so, just to gauge if there is some truth to this, he is again allowed to lead the championship for some time, and the figures are apparent. The viewership is rising, the tickets sale decline has been propped back up.

Although motogp has moved to give true riders the crown, they know they still need to make money. So, as expected, its mid season, and the championships are level. After a blistering "comeback" by 46, the hook has been swallowed, and the caught viewers are going nowhere for the remainder. Now the authorities will let the real racing happen, disregarding the instructions of the media to keep Rossi on top.

As in F1, its time for motogp and all auto racing to break free of the shackles of fixed racing duping the true talent in the name of figures, and profits.
"
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2015, 09:42   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Past pages would show that I support Rossi but I do respect other riders. Media also has been biased towards Rossi & has favored him, commentators as well.

But you Sir, actually claim Rossi & his victories as a fluke or not deserving? This is wrong. [Mummer is a slang & has many meanings but none of them show it in a positive light]

I would request you to be careful about this. Thanks.
'Mummer's reference was not pointed towards Rossi at all. Biased media reporting is very effective and influential in forming people's opinions especially when reputed magazines are involved. Hence even a mummer can be made to look like a king. And personally for me Rossi is neither a king nor a mummer. So that's the end of it I guess..

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 27th August 2015 at 09:44.
Old 28th August 2015, 07:32   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Dorna keeps doing this time and again.. this year they have done with Fabio Quartararo to bring him into Moto3 a few months shy of 16 yrs.

Agree with you completely on the new Geographic regions. Indonesia is a huge market and they should try to include a race there as well as one in India. However, as F1 organizers have seen in India, there is quite a lot of bureaucracy related hassles in some Asian countries and that makes it uninteresting for motorsport organizers.

In my opinion Rossi clearly outgunned Biaggi, Gibernau, Capirossi in the early 2000's and he fully deserves the credit for it. In fact he beat Biaggi (on a arguably superior Honda) in 2004 after moving to Yamaha which had just a couple of podiums in 2003.
Asia except Japan (since it is already tapped) has a huge untapped potential for motogp and they need to find some riders from Brazil, Russia , India and China and see then what happens to the sport. The problem with the sport itself is that its very Euro centric. We need some Brothers, Latinos and Indians to make it spicy. But given that power centre is based in Europe this would mean that the existing power centre wouldnt want to share it without seeing some money going their way.

Rossi clearly (fair and square) outgunned Biaggi in 2003 only. 2000, 2001 and 2002 it was Biaggi on the weaker Yamaha and Rossi was on the Repsol Honda which he inherited from Mick Doohan along with his crew of Jeremy Burgess! 2003 all were on the Honda but Rossi was the only one on the Repsol Honda, Biaggi was on the Camel Honda and Gibernau was on the Pons Honda.(akin to being on a satellite Honda but albeit a much lesser difference those days). Till 2003 Yamaha was clearly the weaker team and in 2004 they brought in their big bang M1 engine. So the Yamaha became better than the Honda in 2004 (likewise in 2015 as you can see) and Rossi goes on to win 9 races in 2004 and further 11 races in 2005.

One thing you need to attribute to Rossi is that he made the shift from Honda to Yamaha and was still able to manage the Yamaha since riding style for each bike is different. Biaggi didnot make the switch to Honda good (may be due to age, he was 33) since his riding style was more smoother (wider arc like Lorenzo) rather than Rossi (Point and shoot) and Honda is known to be a more point and shoot machine. He also was outgunned by Gibernau on the Honda in both 2003 and 2004. 2005 he got to Repsol and things turned acrimonious between him and Honda which led to his departure.

Quote:
Second part of the Trunkman analysis. Shows you how a biased media can manufacture a king out of a mummer.

Thanks for this. This is what i had summarized in my last post even before the article came out - esp regarding the creation of villains and selling stories (media) . Privy to motogp information or a layman's observation without yellow glasses?

Last edited by JayKis : 28th August 2015 at 07:36.
JayKis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2015, 08:45   #458
BHPian

The movie faster directed by Mark Neale was made in poor taste. Poor Max was made to look like a proper Villian.

Both the movies Faster and Fastest were Rossi centric clearly portraying him as the hero and the rest villians trying to usurp his throne.

Will be interesting to see what 'Hitting the apex' brings forth. I wont be surprised if it is another 'Rossi special' considering its the same director.
Old 28th August 2015, 19:47   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Till 2003 Yamaha was clearly the weaker team and in 2004 they brought in their big bang M1 engine. So the Yamaha became better than the Honda in 2004 (likewise in 2015 as you can see) and Rossi goes on to win 9 races in 2004 and further 11 races in 2005.
Sir, with all due respect I don't agree with you. I have really tried very very hard to not post here mostly because my knowledge levels don't come close to you guys.

I think you are making this statement the third time if I am not wrong, and I disagree to this. I understand the media, the sport and everybody favoring Rossi and what not. I understand it. In the end its business, Rossi brought more viewership, hence more sponsors. So the logic that everybody favors him, I am ok with that.

But I think everywhere it is accepted that when Rossi switched to Yamaha in 2004, it was not superior to Honda. And even if it was, Rossi must have had a decent input in making it one because before it was nowhere close before that.

Also, In 2015 Yamaha is still not superior to Honda. Everybody before the start of the season felt it was going to be Ducati and Honda. I understand the engine tuning issues of Honda and it being more difficult to ride. With the 2014 chassis I really think they are on par at least.

What I wanted to say was, putting everything that Rossi has achieved to just good career moves is a little bit harsh. Also if he wins its only because of the bike and only in his case, is a bit harsh too.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 19:36   #460
BHPian

Marquez on Pole. Lorenzo second and Pedrosa third. Rossi on fourth, Pol fifth and Bradley 6th. So Rossi should win! Dont know what happened to the Ducatis thou! 9th and 12th

1 93Marc MARQUEZSPARepsol Honda TeamHonda322.02'00.234
2 99Jorge LORENZOSPAMovistar Yamaha MotoGPYamaha319.02'00.5220.288 / 0.288
3 26Dani PEDROSASPARepsol Honda TeamHonda326.62'00.7160.482 / 0.1944
4 46Valentino ROSSIITAMovistar Yamaha MotoGPYamaha323.22'00.9470.713 / 0.231
5 44Pol ESPARGAROSPAMonster Yamaha Tech 3Yamaha324.42'01.0310.797 / 0.084
6 38Bradley SMITHGBRMonster Yamaha Tech 3Yamaha319.62'01.1400.906 / 0.109
7 45Scott REDDINGGBREG 0,0 Marc VDSHonda320.12'01.3291.095 / 0.189
8 35Cal CRUTCHLOWGBRLCR HondaHonda323.32'01.3761.142 / 0.047
9 29Andrea IANNONEITADucati TeamDucati329.92'01.8741.640 / 0.498
10 41Aleix ESPARGAROSPATeam SUZUKI ECSTARSuzuki317.22'01.8801.646 / 0.006
11 68Yonny HERNANDEZCOLOcto Pramac RacingDucati322.82'01.8941.660 / 0.014
12 4Andrea DOVIZIOSOITADucati TeamDucati322.82'01.9791.745 / 0.085

Last edited by JayKis : 29th August 2015 at 19:39.
Old 30th August 2015, 14:42   #461
BHPian

It's raining in Silverstone and Rossi sets the pace in the final warmup. Marquez is third and Lorenzo fifth.

If the rain continues, it could be Rossi's chance to pull ahead in the championship.
badri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 18:44   #462
BHPian

Brilliant race by Rossi! Even more brilliant one by Petrucci! A bit of damage limitation by Lorenzo, more due to attrition I would say. I'm glad that he didn't crash though, there were couple of scary moments while fighting with Petrucci early on in the race.

Last edited by badri : 30th August 2015 at 18:49.
badri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 18:52   #463
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!
What a flawless ride by the 9 time world champion(out of which 6 in motogp, 1 in 500, 1 in 250, and 1 in 125cc).
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2015, 18:54   #464
BHPian

Yeah great ride by Rossi. Too bad that Marq crashed (that looked just out of the blue). Was looking forward to the last lap pyro techniques from Marquez.
Petrucci -the man, whattay man! Wahttay ride!! Putting a satellite bike on the podium ever since??? Good ride by Dovizio!! It seems the disaster became a little less disastrous for JLo!!! The difference is 12 points now!
Old 30th August 2015, 18:56   #465
BHPian

Lorenzo needs to change his helmet manufacturer.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   Reply With Quote