Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 30th March 2015, 18:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Malaysian GP - Sepang International Circuit - Race Thread

Scarbs & Peter Windsor's Post Race Analysis!

anachronix is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 11:12   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. Ferrari won in Malaysia, but in a specific set of circumstances that won't repeat very often.

No doubt they're far better than last year and may even win a few races over this season, but WCC contenders? Too early to judge.
I agree. Let's not bring out the champagne and cheerleaders yet. They won one race. Yes, they won it but, in my opinion, it was more of a tactical pit maneuver (or lack of) than the outright competitiveness of the cars up front. Yes, the Mercs were shredding rubber and all that but still, it could've been a much closer race but for that pit stop.

Anyways, very happy to see Ferrari on the podium and more happy to see Kimi get back on the pace. I wish he scores a podium next time.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 11:31   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've always liked Niki Lauda. Now I like him even more:

Quote:
Lauda, who won two of his titles with Ferrari but is now non-executive chairman for Mercedes, welcomed Malaysia's result, referring to reported quotes from Bernie Ecclestone last week suggesting Vettel was "boring".

"I went to [Ferrari boss, Maurizio] Arrivabene straight away and I congratulated him from my heart," Lauda said. "He is competition and the more competition the better, and if Ferrari wins Bernie can't complain about boring Vettel because Vettel is not boring anymore. It's very good this result for the total image of F1, because some people are always complaining."

Lauda echoed the sentiments of Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff that the result set off alarm bells for Mercedes but was happy to concede Ferrari just did a better job on the day.
Here's a straight-shooter if I ever saw one!

Source
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 11:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree. Let's not bring out the champagne and cheerleaders yet. They won one race. Yes, they won it but, in my opinion, it was more of a tactical pit maneuver (or lack of) than the outright competitiveness of the cars up front. Yes, the Mercs were shredding rubber and all that but still, it could've been a much closer race but for that pit stop.
Look at it this way - Vettel was about 4s ahead of Hamilton when the SC was withdrawn. From there, for 50 laps, they had the same number of pitstops and Vettel finished almost 8s in front on Hamilton. This race was won on pace, not strategy - but probably the conditions hampered Mercedes pace and helped Ferrari pace. Even in their last stints, with both running on hards, Hamilton barely made an impression on Vettel.

More than the number of stops, I think Vettel won because he was able to run the faster medium tyre for 2 stints (38 laps). Hamilton's stint on mediums lasted only 14 laps. Even Rosberg's last stint on mediums was only 14 laps, while Vettel's 2nd stint on mediums was about 20 laps. You could say Merc got their strategy wrong by using their mediums in qualifying and keeping the hards for the race - but their strategy was probably a reflection of their tyre wear from the FP sessions.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 12:12   #65
BHPian

It was great race after long long time. Had so much fun watching the thrilling race and so happy that Vettel & Ferrari won it. Wish Kimi had better weekend.

All said and done, I do not think Mercs 1sec advantage vanishes just like that. We have seen in Australia how dominant they were. The more Lauda & Wolf says that competition is good, more fishy it looks. It feels like they have tuned down their performance(of-course they might not expected to lose) to make races interesting and shut up the other team bosses ( Christian Horner etc). So that they can avoid technical changes.
arun_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 12:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Sadly I missed the live telecast but didnt miss the highlights. Was a fantastic race for me as a Ferrari fan. Vettel really seems to be a team player and thats what Ferrari need from their drivers. His emotions were really running high.

This result like many say could be a one-off thing. The Ferrari this year seems to be extraordinary in cooling and tyre degradation, even better than Mercedes. Obviously things have helped in their favour and also the strategy of staying out during the SC period. Come China, its going to be a lot tougher to emulate what happened in Malaysia because of the lower temperatures. Promising start to the season and both Ferrari and Vettel have registered wins which is simply great. Now its Kimi's turn. He has always had a bit of a weak start to the season and catches up once the European races start. Im sure he just cant wait to get on the podium which he will.

Promising race for the Mclarens also, the car seems to have good downforce, if they can sort out their engine gremlins I think we can see them back on top. Would be great to see Ferrari, Williams and Mclaren all battling it out.

The result is very good for F1 and should make for a good season ahead.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 22:06   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
It feels like they have tuned down their performance(of-course they might not expected to lose) to make races interesting and shut up the other team bosses ( Christian Horner etc). So that they can avoid technical changes.
Mercedes wouldn't dare do that at Malaysia as its home to their title sponsor Petronas.

And Mercedes was clearly rattled during the race. Lewis, Nico and even Paddy came across as really nervous and strained over the radio. It was all very real but brought about by various circumstances. They will come back mighty and strong in the much cooler Shanghai.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 23:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
It was great race after long long time. Had so much fun watching the thrilling race and so happy that Vettel & Ferrari won it. Wish Kimi had better weekend.

All said and done, I do not think Mercs 1sec advantage vanishes just like that. We have seen in Australia how dominant they were. The more Lauda & Wolf says that competition is good, more fishy it looks. It feels like they have tuned down their performance(of-course they might not expected to lose) to make races interesting and shut up the other team bosses ( Christian Horner etc). So that they can avoid technical changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Mercedes wouldn't dare do that at Malaysia as its home to their title sponsor Petronas.

And Mercedes was clearly rattled during the race. Lewis, Nico and even Paddy came across as really nervous and strained over the radio. It was all very real but brought about by various circumstances. They will come back mighty and strong in the much cooler Shanghai.
Agree, if this was not Malaysia I would have suspected the same.
Though the video above explains a lot on usage of the medium tire by Ferrari.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 10:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

If it was fully tactical, Mercedes was expecting Lewis to be at the tail of Vettel's Ferrari with 5 laps to take the chequered flag and Rosberg to pass the Ferrari with couple of laps to finish. But, for every fast lap by the Mercedes, Vettel was comfortably responding and maintained the 9 to 10s advantage all through. Ferrari will be close to the Mercedes in China, but the tire advantage Ferrari had in the malaysian heat may not be there and it will be down to the drivers to fight it out on track.

Another aspect that was completely missed more to do with the poor coverage of F1, the pace of the other Ferrari which worked its way upto 4th after dropping down a lap end of Lap1.

We could just get the champagne out on any day

Quote:

Anyways, very happy to see Ferrari on the podium and more happy to see Kimi get back on the pace. I wish he scores a podium next time.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 10:59   #70
BANNED

Quote:

It was a triumphant afternoon for Vettel’s team-mate Kimi Raikkonen. Despite starting in 11th place, and then suffering a puncture which put him to the back of the field, he finished fourth, ahead of the Williams pair Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas. Yea i agree happy to see Ferrari on the platform .. as in the intense heat of Sepang Circuit, Vettel was the coolest man out there.
unni nambiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 11:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
We could just get the champagne out on any day
Brave words, indeed. Let's see.

The young fella who scored points, Max. I am glad they have him in there. It's a good indicator that talent is being groomed. And comes with enough sponsorship.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 12:31   #72
Senior - BHPian

A worrying factor is Nico Rosberg. He doesnt seem to be able to understand what is going on with his car and what the team are doing from the pitwall. Even in Australia he was asking for all kind of information that could not be given to him because of the radio ban.
Hamilton seems to have him comfortably covered and with Vettels taunts after each GP, he seems to be crumbling.

Saw the podium celebrations only yesterday, it was fantastic to hear the German anthem followed by the Italian anthem. Old fond memories! :-)
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 17:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Came across this conversation from radio bytes of Malaysian GP Kimi has something to pull off every race

"Can I pass these people because they are not even trying to catch up to the safety car?"

Stuck behind the slow-moving Manor of rookie Roberto Merhi, Kimi Raikkonen is in no mood for more interruptions to his race after a botched qualifying and an early race puncture.

Source
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote