Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th April 2015, 19:04   #46
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Chinese GP - Shanghai International Circuit - Race Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
"Come on, get that McLaren out of the way" - Kimi, just before lapping Alonso.

Boring race for everyone except for Ricciardo, who overtook sauber 5 or 6 times.
Alonso clearly sees a McLaren resurgence.
He has told his rivals to enjoy seeing him failing to exit Q1 because it won't last forever and soon it will "time for him to enjoy" success.

As I understand, they have already gone full power on their engine at Chinese GP. No talks about turning down the power etc. was heard. Now what?
Hope Honda comes up with something special for the sake of competition. Otherwise the races are becoming too predictive. Even the pecking order within the teams are obvious.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/alonso-...t-lasts-119162
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 20:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
He has told his rivals to enjoy seeing him failing to exit Q1 because it won't last forever and soon it will "time for him to enjoy" success.

As I understand, they have already gone full power on their engine at Chinese GP. No talks about turning down the power etc. was heard. Now what?
Hope Honda comes up with something special for the sake of competition. Otherwise the races are becoming too predictive. Even the pecking order within the teams are obvious.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/alonso-...t-lasts-119162
As per Martin Brundle they were 150 Hp down at China. At Melbourne they were 200Hp down on Mercedes.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 20:09   #48
BHPian

Boring race overall. Need more heat from the Ferrari's on the Mercedes. Mclaren, oh what a pity! Kimi shouting "get rid of the car using blue flags" for Alonso! Was fun but poor Alonso.

Alonso deserves one more title at least but looks like his time is over!
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:17   #49
Senior - BHPian

I think we will need to wait post Monaco to see the Honda engine in full power. Even then its a bit over the top to expect them fighting Mercedes and Ferrari right away. The Red Bull should come good by then as well. They have over 22 tokens yet to be used, more than Ferrari and Mercedes.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 12:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I think we will need to wait post Monaco to see the Honda engine in full power. Even then its a bit over the top to expect them fighting Mercedes and Ferrari right away. The Red Bull should come good by then as well. They have over 22 tokens yet to be used, more than Ferrari and Mercedes.
Personally I feel if Honda achieve full power till Monza, it will be fantastic. They have embarked on a very ambitious project with high targets.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 13:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Renault has 12 tokens left. Ferrari has 10, Mercedes 7. Not sure how big each token is but I think Ferrari is in the best position engine wise. With an engine that can now challenge Mercedes and bout 40% more tokens left to be used.

Barcelone might be the 1st race with engine updates from Mercedes or Ferrari. Monaco is not that engine hungry so they will use probably one of the current ones.

http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/194433.html
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 19:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Renault has 12 tokens left. Ferrari has 10, Mercedes 7. Not sure how big each token is but I think Ferrari is in the best position engine wise. With an engine that can now challenge Mercedes and bout 40% more tokens left to be used.

Barcelone might be the 1st race with engine updates from Mercedes or Ferrari. Monaco is not that engine hungry so they will use probably one of the current ones.

http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/194433.html
Apologies. My math needs some serious working on.

Some tokens towards the end of the year as well like Austin because aren't all the engines frozen in for 2016 after whatever development they can do this year? That means no free tokens?!

Considering Monaco is just two races away, Honda could up their power to the max probably by Silverstone only or even after the summer break.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 20:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some tokens towards the end of the year as well like Austin because aren't all the engines frozen in for 2016 after whatever development they can do this year? That means no free tokens?!
No, it is not a full freeze anytime in the near future.

FIA has classified the engine components into different parts, each worth 1, 2 or 3 tokens. Total of all components add up to 66 tokens. If an engine manufacturer needs to modify a part from the existing specification, he would need to use up equivalent number of tokens. What FIA has done is that they've capped the number of development tokens that can be used per season.

For 2015 season, the restriction is that the teams can use a maximum of 32 tokens. It is out of this available 32 tokens allocated for 2015 that Mercedes used up 25, Ferrari used 22 and Renault used 20. Ferrari found the loop hole in the rule book that it was not specified anywhere that all the tokens for a season should be used up before the homologation date, which is the reason we are seeing in-season development this year. Most likely, FIA would address it for next season, though I hope they don't since there is something to hope for the fans if there is a possibility of improving later in the season. Without this possibility, more people would have ignored the current season.

For 2016 season, teams can use around 27 tokens, with the number going down to ~21 for 2017 and further down to 15 for 2018. This would continue to decrease for the period of 7 years from 2014 after which there would be a new set of regulations. Going by the decline in fan following and Bernie's efforts in speeding up the decline, it remains to be seen if F1 would still be alive then!

Considering the number of tokens used up by the teams this year before the season started, there should not be any significant restrictions for them even in next couple of years since they'll still have 27 and 21 tokens in those years. If anything, it seems Mercedes would actually be at disadvantage since others are not using up tokens as fast as Mercedes.

Last edited by zenren : 14th April 2015 at 20:29.
zenren is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 23:54   #54
BHPian

The video covering LH and NR interview after the race was done is beyond hilarious. The look on Lewis' face is priceless after Nico claims he was holding him up..

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24...-trying-to-win
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 12:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post

It's high time Alonso realizes that F1 world doesn't revolve around him. Ferrari couldn't care less where Alonso qualifies. Alonso may at some time in future may beat Mercedes, but that may be too far in the future where Mercedes may no longer be the dominant team. So what's the point? Only teams who 'may' enjoy his failure right now are lower-mid field teams, so he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 13:52   #56

My first post on T-BHP, please be gentle

Over the last two seasons, a lot has been said about F1 not being about racing any more. I honestly didn't think the degrading tyres were holding back racing, e.g. I used to enjoy the fact that Kimi could still challenge for podium by having a different tyre strategy and taking a pit stop less, vis a vis softer but faster tyres other teams would be on.

But in this race I was disappointed that Nico didnt try to go for a pass, to save his tyres (for a late challenge, as he claimed). At that point, it just becomes sad that tyres are interfering with racing, and I did not enjoy this race as much as I'd have.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I missed the race but I guess I didnt miss much reading from comments here and elsewhere. Lewis and Nico's rivalry is becoming boring.
I hope F1 management reads the writing on the wall and re-start pitstop re-fuelling, reduce number of races to allow more time for post race recce and improvement and make bigger, louder and faster cars
I remember pit stop refuelling being a major hazard, and that was part of the reason it was done away with. Check youtube to know what I mean, a stray spark can be all it takes, and with hot brakes and engines during the pitstop, it is never safe.

Faster cars, oh yes please!! Bigger and louder is subjective
GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 16:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
My first post on T-BHP, please be gentle

Over the last two seasons, a lot has been said about F1 not being about racing any more. I honestly didn't think the degrading tyres were holding back racing, e.g. I used to enjoy the fact that Kimi could still challenge for podium by having a different tyre strategy and taking a pit stop less, vis a vis softer but faster tyres other teams would be on.

But in this race I was disappointed that Nico didnt try to go for a pass, to save his tyres (for a late challenge, as he claimed). At that point, it just becomes sad that tyres are interfering with racing, and I did not enjoy this race as much as I'd have.

Also,

I remember pit stop refuelling being a major hazard, and that was part of the reason it was done away with. Check youtube to know what I mean, a stray spark can be all it takes, and with hot brakes and engines during the pitstop, it is never safe.

Faster cars, oh yes please!! Bigger and louder is subjective
Welcome to the F1 section.
I think all of us here agree with you on wanting faster and noisier cars!

Frankly, I dont think Rosberg had the pace to challenge Lewis.

Over the next few months, the top 4 order is pretty much set.
Lewis, Nico, Seb and Kimi. I doubt we will see much wheel to wheel racing here.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 19:07   #58

I wouldn't write off Kimi to fourth just yet.
GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 19:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
I wouldn't write off Kimi to fourth just yet.
Waiting to see what he can do in Spa this year - his favorite track.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 20:55   #60

Indeed, Kimi seems to have found the car he likes this year. Now if only he can get his qualifying correct. Spa should be lovely to watch, its fast flowing track is his strength.

Also, during his first couple of years, although he seemed hugely talented, I wasn't a big fan of Lewis.

But after his risky (and even gutsy) move to what was then a new untested team, and then seeing how he has settled down over the last season and intensified his focus from all the earlier babble to just pure racing and winning, I'm beginning to enjoy the new Lewis.

He's a man grown from the kid he was earlier, and has found his center, so to say.

I was rooting for Nico (everyone likes the underdog) in the beginning of last season, but since then Lewis has had me a convert. He has stayed focused through all the bad luck and car problems he had last season, never giving the fight up. I love a fighter more !!

Verstappen seems a revelation, especially how he keeps his line even turning under braking, where even championship winners end up locking a wheel. This kid should be interesting to watch in the future, and for crying out loud he's just 17.
GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote