6th March 2017, 20:24
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Jul 2011
Thanked: 4,322 Times
| | Re: The 2016 F1 Season Thread
Few numbers on overtakes from the 2016 Championship,
- Max Verstappen completed 78 overtakes during the 2016 F1 season, F1 tyre supplier Pirelli confirmed Verstappen's tally is the most since 1983. Others in the top 5 are, 61 overtakes by Daniel Ricciardo, 56 by Sergio Perez, 52 by Fernando Alonso, 49 by Valtteri Bottas
- Red Bull recorded the most overtakes during the season (78 by Verstappen, 61 by Ricciardo and 15 by Kvyat).
- Fernando Alonso's gained 41 places on the opening lap of races
- Sebastian Vettel was overtaken just once all season - by Verstappen in Brazil.(I think this doesn't include the opening lap)
- Lewis Hamilton claimed the most overtakes in a single race, making 18 passes during the Chinese Grand Prix after contact at Turn 1.
- World champions Mercedes were overtaken on the fewest occasions; Rosberg four times, Hamilton three.
Few other numbers,
- Total overtakes: 866, just four shy of 2012's record
- China set a new record after featuring a total of 128 overtakes - a new all-time record for a single race, surpassing the 112 set in Brazil in 2012.
- Longest race: Brazil, at 3h 01m 01.335s.
- Shortest race: Italy, at 1h 17m 28.089s.
- Number of wins from pole: 13 from 21 (62 percent)
- Lowest winning grid position: 4th (Max Verstappen in Spain and Daniel Ricciardo in Malaysia)
- Biggest winning margin: 37.776s (Nico Rosberg over Sebastian Vettel, China)
- Smallest winning margin: 0.439s (Lewis Hamilton over Nico Rosberg, Abu Dhabi), Singapore also featured a winning margin of less than half a second
- Most changes of lead: Eight (Spain)
- Most different leaders: Five (Austria) - Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen, Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen all had spells at the front of the field.