Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 19th June 2015, 17:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Austrian F1 GP - Race Thread

Alonso gets a 20 place grid penalty while DR will be handed a 10 place penalty.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/06/1...rid-penalties/
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 18:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Riciardo and Kyvat are given a 10 place grid penalty for using their 5th engine.

Quote:
Red Bull drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat will both drop 10 places on the Austrian Grand Prix grid after exceeding their engine allocations.

Amid Renault's early-season struggle for reliability, Ricciardo and Kvyat have been forced on to a fifth engine for this weekend's Red Bull Ring event.

With only four of each of the six elements permitted throughout the campaign, Ricciardo and Kvyat will be hit with the aforementioned penalty.
Source:F1racing.net

Ferrari looking in decent shape but a gearbox glitch prevented Vettel from running in FP1 after just 4 laps. At the moment its an all Mercedes affair. Slight drops of rain in the start of FP2 but seems to have died down at the moment.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 19:16   #18
BHPian

FP2:
This time around it was Ferrari on top.
Looks like they are concentrating on qualifying.
Williams meanwhile looks like concentrating on long runs.
Whatever it maybe, Hamilton is not happy with his runs.
As usual McLarens are struggling.
Name:  fp2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  83.8 KB
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 19:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Riciardo and Kyvat are given a 10 place grid penalty for using their 5th engine.

Source:F1racing.net

Ferrari looking in decent shape but a gearbox glitch prevented Vettel from running in FP1 after just 4 laps. At the moment its an all Mercedes affair. Slight drops of rain in the start of FP2 but seems to have died down at the moment.
So far looking at the FIA Technical delegates reports and the Stewards decisions available. only Ricciardo has changed his engine. Kvyat has only been reprimanded as he crossed the white line at the pit entry during FP1. With the kind of casualties happening, you never know maybe the second red bull will also need another engine.
Old 20th June 2015, 02:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Vettel feels he wont need a gearbox change and can escape a penalty.Kimi's long run on the super soft in FP2 was ruined by a lock up. A pretty serious lock up.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Austrian F1 GP - Race Thread-i.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 13:32   #21
BHPian

Friday PC :

2015 Austrian F1 GP - Race Thread-image16x9.img.1024.medium.jpg

TEAM REPRESENTATIVES – Mattia BINOTTO (Ferrari), James KEY (Toro Rosso), Rob WHITE (RenaultSport), Tom McCULLOUGH (Force India) , Pat SYMONDS (Williams), Paul MONAGHAN (Red Bull Racing)

Some interesting questions and responses.

Source: http://www.fia.com/news/2015-austria...ess-conference

Q: (Peter Farkas – Auto Motor) A question to all of you. One of the complaints fans frequently make is the drivers are instructed too much on the radio. I understand that, at the moment, it wouldn’t be possible for them to manage all the systems of the car themselves because they are too complex. Do you think it would be possible to reprogram the systems and make some displays available for them so they can manage things like fuel saving and brake temperature and things like that themselves without any outside help? Because maybe they would seem to be managing the race without any help and that would look better from the outside.

Mattia, would you like to start?

MB: I’d be happy for someone else to start! James?

JK: It’s a big topic actually because it’s not so easy. The cars are complex now and since last year considerably so with the power units that we use. The thing for a driver now, when he presses the throttle there’s a lot of stuff going on compared to before. You have electrical machines switching in and out, you’ve got the various motive recharge maybe happening there as well, you’ve got driveability which may change the way the engine… blah, blah, blah… so it’s not ‘press the throttle and go’ anymore. There’s a lot of stuff going on in the background and sometimes you need to change the way that’s working and you need to instruct the driver to do it. But he can’t feel any of that. That’s really instruction to him. Obviously you’d like to automate all of those things but actually doing that is a huge task. If you look at the number of engineers who have to monitor all of these systems from a reliability point of view, a performance point of view – and a safety point of view to a certain extent – that we have to have in the garage now. Both on the chassis and the engine side. It’s quite considerable numbers. And to automate all of their tasks at the track is a very big and expensive thing to do. So maybe in the future you could do it – but right now you have to give the driver some idea of what to do to make use of these cars. He can’t feel what’s going on and he couldn’t possibly understand what’s going on. I guess the second thing is that the only way he could find out if he has to do something is to look at his dashboard on the steering wheel or maybe listening to something in his earpiece. You can’t do that when you’re going around Monaco or Singapore. You need to keep your eyes on the track. So, for them to monitor information that, again, all these engineers are doing in the background, is extremely difficult. I think we’ve got ourselves to the point at the moment where we have to manage the car in a certain way. Possibly in the future it will get a little bit easier.

Tom?

TMcC: I think James has covered a lot of it. The cars are a lot more complicated this year. Ultimately there’s various different aspects to it. We’re very focused often on performance. It’s a global optimization game we’re playing, so we’re trying to maximize every single thing. But, take Canada for example, we’ve been going there for many years, the brakes have always been pretty difficult, you can sit and watch on TV, dust coming out the side of the front wheels as the drivers hit the brakes hard, so it’s been many years that we’ve been informing drivers. Brake wear sensors have been on the cars for ten, fifteen, maybe even longer, you know? So I don’t think a lot of it’s new, obviously a lot of it is now communicated on the TV, so people are a lot more aware of it. There’s lots to it.

Pat?

PS: It’s interesting, isn’t it. Because, on the one hand, the FIA particularly, don’t want us to have driver aids. Now, where does a driver aid start and stop? A lot of the instructions we give them could be automated – but then one might argue that they are driver aids. So, what’s the role of the driver? It does change over the years, and these systems are complex, and probably, given time, we will automate more and more of them. I think with the different power unit manufacturers at the moment, the level of automation is probably different for each one. I don’t find it particularly obnoxious that we assist the driver in these ways.

Paul?

PM: In answer to your question directly: yes we could. In reality, because we’re a prototype business and things are continually evolving, it would simply add to the burden of trying to evolve the car. I think, as James has already mentioned, it would be an enormous task to take on the automation of the entire process. There’s a sort-of blend between what we can do in software and what we rely on the driver to activate through the steering wheel or whatever controls we’re asking him to do it with. There was a bit of a clarification towards the end of last year on what we can and cannot do and I think we’ve reached a sensible compromise in which, as Pat’s noted, we don’t necessarily aid the driver but there’s reliance on both parties to work together. So, it comes together via team action, the driver’s part of the team and everybody seeks to just make the car go as fast as possible and get to the end. So that’s where we stand at the moment. I think the compromise is about right.

Mattia?

MB: No doubt that the current power unit are a lot more complex compared to the past and there is a lot of engineering and, as James said, a lot of people in the back looking at telemetry and trying to manage the entire situation. But I think that finally, trying to optimize the performance of the car has always been true, even in the past and even when we didn’t have such a complex – maybe – power unit there was still a lot of communication with the drivers, trying to optimize corners: entry, mid-corner, exit of the corner, switching and whatever. I think the intensity of the communication was there in the past, is still there today. It’s only a matter that maybe today you’re trying to manage the complexity of the power unit and yesterday you were doing something else. But, you will never stop it at a certain stage because it’s a matter of whatever you can do to optimize and improve yourself.

Rob, as an engine manufacturer and supplier is there anything you’d like to add?

RW: Just that there’s an awful lot of stuff that’s already very automated. I share the view that we could go a lot further if it was an absolute requirement – but we’d need to deal with the problems that Pat’s identified. And then there’s another thing we need to be a little bit aware of, which is that there’s always something unintended that comes out of one of these shots from the hip and we should be extremely conscious of the unintended consequences: it would for sure be a massively costly undertaking which would be another big background cost and activity invisible from the stands and make perhaps Formula One even more deviant.

Q: Joe Saward (Grand Prix Special) I have a general question because we’ve heard a lot of people talking about new technology and the sport and whether it’s beneficial or not. Do you think that hybrid technology has been beneficial for Formula One – and is it really something that can be used on road cars?

RW: Beneficial for Formula One? I’m sure there are as many opinions as there are opinion holders and therefore difficult to give one. For sure, applicable to road cars: absolutely. Not necessarily the same organs, not necessarily the same components but the exact same design, development objectives and some of the technologies are directly transferable. Road cars becoming more and more sophisticated. The challenge of markets all over the world requires this family of technology and without them it’s not possible to satisfy the regulatory requirements, it’s not possible to satisfy the market requirements, so for sure there’s a direct relevance to the road car industry.

MB: As Rob said, no doubt there’s a relevance for the road cars. I think the hybrid is the future of the power unit and if you look as well in terms of fuel consumption, efficiency, the whole systems, what we are achieving currently in F1 is really something quite impressive compared to the current, let me say, achievements on the road cars. So, somehow it’s good for F1 to be there and there is a lot to be done. We are speaking about overall efficiency of our power units, road cars are slightly over 30 per cent, maybe in terms of the best power unit. All of us are clearly over 40 per cent and even higher than that – overall efficiency, so it’s a technology which is important, and somehow I think we are doing very well for the road cars as well in F1.
Paul?

PM: I’m going to look at it a different way. There’s a set of rules there, and someone’s got to win at the end of the season, and we’re all going to chase the same title, and whether you put a different engine in the back, change the rules somewhat, the game stays the same, we want to win. So yes, there’s been a power unit change. I would agree with Rob that it has some relevance to road cars and will drive that aspect of it along quite well – but at the end of the day, all we want to do is make the car go as fast as we can, and that’s what we’ll chase.

Pat?
PS: I think Joe, it would be interesting, had we not done it, would you be asking the question in reverse? In other words, would you be saying “why hasn’t Formula One gone greener?” With the car industry heading for fleet averages of 100g of CO2 per kilometer, that doesn’t come for free. I think when we took the decision to produce these highly hybridized engines it was a time when CO2 was very firmly coming onto the scene. It’s still there. What wasn’t on the scene at the time, of course, was recession, so some of the timing was unfortunate – but I really do believe that, if we were still producing very inefficient gas guzzlers, I think people would be looking at us and saying: “are you really doing the right thing?” So, I’m very sure that we did do the right thing.

James?
JK: I agree with the points that both Pat and Paul have made, actually. I think as a technology it’s for sure relevant. It puts it very much out there in a racing environment. It’s not an unglamorous environment in the end and that’s probably a good thing for a green technology, so I think it’s relevant – and I think that’s a positive thing and the right thing to do. But equally, we are here as race teams and most of us are chassis constructors and, y’know, you want to go out and do your best as well. So, I guess the question is: have we pitched the regs right for this technology? Maybe – and this is purely with hindsight – but if you could go back and think ‘have we got this exactly as we’d want it and will it work as we’d want it?’ Maybe we’d tweak it a bit. It’s a bit late for that now. But I think probably we need to question whether what we’ve ended up with is absolutely the right thing for now, rather than the principal of it.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 15:57   #22
BHPian

FP3:
Vettel was just 0.017 seconds quicker than Hamilton before rain hit the Red Bull Ring halfway through the session.
Hamilton had been on a faster lap before making a mistake at the final corner.
After the rain started only some drivers went out in the wet tyres to collect the invaluable data in case quali happens in rains.
All will be clear in little over an hour when qualifying commences.
Who's hoping for a wet qualifying then? It could be brilliant, if the last 20 minutes were anything to go by.
McLaren had their customary problems in the session with Alonso stopping on track to bring out red flags.
He will need a gear box change which puts both McLaren drivers with 25 place penalty. Equal treatment for the team mates, they say.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/33210846

Name:  fp3.png
Views: 255
Size:  39.7 KB

Last edited by jfxavier : 20th June 2015 at 16:18.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:57   #23
BHPian

Kimi out in Q1 and his engineer says " it's P17".
He goes " How the **** is that possible "
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 17:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Is this the final nail in Kimi's coffin? Just not on it anymore. Honestly I don't see how Hulk or Bottas can do any worse.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 18:34   #25
BHPian

What Kimi can do / cannot do tomorrow, will have a major say on him driving for Ferrari next year . It just seems to be getting worse for him
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 18:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Kimi was stuck behind Perez who was in turn stuck behind Alonso during the final run, compromising both their runs.

Luckily for Kimi, this was the perfect place to goof up the qualifying. With both McLarens and Red Bulls getting grid penalty, Kimi would start at P14 and this is one of the tracks where overtaking is not going to be so difficult. There is a very strong chance he'll be up to P5 or P6 by mid race.

Last edited by zenren : 20th June 2015 at 19:02.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 20:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Kimi out in Q1 and his engineer says " it's P17".
He goes " How the **** is that possible "

On a fast drying track full of competent drivers, no one was safe. Jenson Button at one point held P1 before ending up 17th within a few minutes.
Even the mighty Ferrari engine could not give the edge that Kimi was so confident that he had.
Maybe that's why Bernie would like to install sprinklers around the track so that he can play rain god and see some heads roll.

Classification after Qualifying:

Name:  quali.png
Views: 239
Size:  50.9 KB

Last edited by jfxavier : 20th June 2015 at 20:49.
Old 20th June 2015, 20:44   #28
BHPian

Not sure if anyone of you noticed, this is from FP3 today. What could these pictures signify on Red Bulls garage wall?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1434813130.271388.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  133.8 KB
Bubby is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:07   #29
BHPian

@bubby interesting find. thanks for sharing.

I missed quali. Why did kimi do so bad, and how did Hulk end up so high with Perez all the way in the back ?
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:17   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
@bubby interesting find. thanks for sharing.

I missed quali. Why did kimi do so bad, and how did Hulk end up so high with Perez all the way in the back ?
Quite a few drivers were caught unawares by the changing conditions during Q1.
Obviously Hulk is on an ascent after his LeMans victory and the confidence of a driver does make a difference in tricky conditions.