Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 27th February 2017, 08:50   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017

^

Great looking livery. They just copied a Red Bull simply cola can. Smart!

To me, the best looker is the Merc W08. So elegant with a brilliant front wing and a great looking nose too. Hopefully, they wont attach a shark fin to its back.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 11:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Its not the side pod itself but the aero appendages ahead of the sidepods that's got the unusual shape, possibly designed to work along with the front crash structure. The full package will only become clear during the tests & first race practice.
Minor tweaks before the Australian GP I would say. Off late teams that go radically different in design going into the new season seem to have a lot more ghosts to bust during the course of the season. In comparison, Mercedes and RBR seem to have made minimal changes suggesting that their car was "aero efficient" last season itself. I just hope I am wrong and Ferrari are going to challenge for the top spot this year.

The pre-loaded suspension that Mercedes have on seems to be the topic of debate this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic
My first reaction was the they launched a Marussia! This livery doesn't is let down compared to the hype McLaren created around it.
That was my impression as well. Wish they used more orange!
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 13:36   #198
BHPian

In case anyone is looking for some live threads for the Test day1

https://www.autosport.com/live/comme...1-test-day-one

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/39046204
jfxavier is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 17:40   #199
Senior - BHPian

Circuit de Catalunya - 1st winter test 27-02-2017
Times at lunch:
1.S. Vettel - 1:22:791 - 62 laps
2.V. Bottas - 1:23:169 - 79 laps
3.S. Perez - 1:23:708 - 39 laps
4.F. Massa - 1:25:552 - 38 laps
5.C. Sainz Jr - 1:25:632 - 16 laps
6.N. Hulkenberg - 1:26:319 - 22 laps
7.K. Magnussen - 1:26:404 - 15 laps
8.M. Ericsson - 1:27:710 - 30 laps
9.D. Ricciardo - 1:28:712 - 4 laps
10.F. Alonso - 1 lap

The Mclaren reported a oil leak/sensor issue after just 1 installation lap, the team are working hard to fix but reckon it will take several hours to sort out. Red bull suffered a sensor issue.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 21:36   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The Mclaren reported a oil leak/sensor issue after just 1 installation lap, the team are working hard to fix but reckon it will take several hours to sort out. Red bull suffered a sensor issue.
McLaren problems caused by new oil tank (smaller, lighter, new shape).
Complete solution not before tomorrow.

However, I must say that Mercedes have managed to turn up every winter for the past 3 years with new PUs and run faultlessly in multiple cars.
It looks like they have better quality control, somehow.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 06:29   #201
BHPian

Quote:
In case anyone is looking for some live threads for the Test day1

https://www.autosport.com/live/comme...1-test-day-one

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/formula1/39046204
This and there are few people live on periscope just in case some one wants to see a video. There are streams from main straight and at turn 13.
Monolithic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 08:31   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes looks very good, both literally and figuratively.

And not a lot of good news for the fans from the drivers. They say the new aero package has made it tougher to follow other cars. High overall downforce levels make it harder for a following car to keep up in fast corners, because it loses front grip in the wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis
"I was behind a couple of cars out there and it was harder to follow, as we expected," said Hamilton.

"And then also right now the tyres are so hard that they don't drop off, they just keep going and going and going and going.

"So most likely we're going to be doing a lot more one-stoppers and, since there's not degradation - less mistakes, less overtaking.

"That's my prediction, I might be wrong, we'll find out."
Source
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 11:14   #203
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to note that Ferrari set that time on a pair of mediums. However it could be a low fuel run.

I agree with Hamilton, Mercedes still look to be the top team. Still early days though, I am looking for Red Bull to come out and show their true performance.

Times from the 1st Day:
1. L. Hamilton Mercedes Grand Prix 01:21.765 (73)
2. S. Vettel Ferrari 01:21.878 (126)
3. F. Massa Williams 01:22.076 (103)
4. K. Magnussen Haas F1 01:22.894 (51)
5. D. Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 01:22.926 (50)
6. V. Bottas Mercedes Grand Prix 01:23.169 (79)
7. S. Perez Force India F1 01:23.709 (39)
8. C. Sainz Jr. Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:24.494 (51)
9. N. Hulkenberg Renault 01:24.784 (57)
10. F. Alonso McLaren 01:24.852 (29)
11. M. Ericsson Sauber 01:26.841 (72)
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 12:19   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And not a lot of good news for the fans from the drivers. They say the new aero package has made it tougher to follow other cars. High overall downforce levels make it harder for a following car to keep up in fast corners, because it loses front grip in the wake.

Source
I hope Lewis is wrong there.

Hopefully once everyone is upto full speed, things will be different.

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-tixxym3.jpg

Here's a picture of a 2017 PU, courtesy Honda's troubles yesterday.
Looks a lot like the Merc. PU. At least the inlet plenum.

Apparently, their issue is with the lub. oil return system not able to return oil properly to maintain proper oil supply in the tank (these engines are dry sump).
Possibly due to higher G forces affecting the efficiency of their oil scavenging system.
I hope they are able to solve the issue soon.
Till then I guess the car will not be going for full whack.

Last edited by jfxavier : 28th February 2017 at 12:25.
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 19:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Reports that not only is the new Honda PU unreliable but down on power as well.
What a depressing start to the season (again).
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 06:56   #206
MCR
BHPian

McLaren Honda revisit 2015!
Their performance has been all scrappy till now in the two days of testing!
Talking of reliability, Mercedes and Ferrari have completed close to 300 Laps, where as the 'McLaren with an extremely reliable engine manufacturer-Honda' have done may be close to 70 laps!

Fernando Alonso is extremely frustrated and already looking to move (may be) : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1...future-latest/

He may be just wishing that he had answered that call from Toto Wolff in affirmative.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 08:44   #207
BHPian

Ferrari faster than Mercedes on second day.

Raikkonen outpaces Hamilton on slower tyres. Bottas completes race simulation but hits the wall. Mclaren suffer more Honda engine frustration.

Day Two Time-sheet:

1) Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 108 laps, soft tyres, 1:20.960
2) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 66 laps, supersoft tyres, 1:20.983
3) Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 89 laps, soft tyres, 1:22.200
4) Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 100 laps, supersoft tyres, 1:22.204
5) Esteban Ocon, Force India, 86 laps, 1:22.509
6) Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 68 laps, 1:22.956
7) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 102 laps, 1:22.986
8) Jolyon Palmer, Renault, 53 laps, 1:24.139;
9) Antonio Giovinazzi, Sauber, 67 laps, 1:24.617;
10) Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, 40 laps, 1:25.600
11) Lance Stroll, Williams, 12 laps, 1:26.040

Last edited by jeevan007 : 1st March 2017 at 08:45.
jeevan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 08:56   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope Lewis is wrong there.
I guess we can relax. Max played down those fears yesterday. source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
“I've been quite close to some cars today,” the Dutchman said at the end of his running. “It's alright. I think it's the same as last year.

“It's felt really similar, you know. You have more downforce, you are going a bit faster through corners, so that cancels out a bit.

“I think it should be pretty similar, but we just have to wait and see, hopefully we won't need to overtake.”

Also, saw this brilliant note from BBC' Andrew Benson yesterday on what could be leading to engine troubles at McLaren Honda. Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
More trouble for McLaren-Honda has arrived in the shape of a loss of power and subsequent engine change. Honda has fundamentally revised the architecture of the engine this year and although F1 boss Yusuke Hasegawa has not fully confirmed the layout, sources have told BBC Sport that they have copied Mercedes’ split-turbine philosophy.

This puts the two parts of the turbocharger - the compressor and turbine - at opposite ends of the engine vee, joined by a shaft on which sits the MGU-H, the unit that recovers energy from that part of the engine. The main engineering difficultly of this is controlling reliability on such a long shaft spinning at up to 125,000rpm.

It was already known last summer that Honda were planning this and I spoke to Hasegawa about it then.

“Splitting turbine is not to make the turbine bigger,” he said. “It makes the centre of gravity lower, mainly. That is the only advantage. But it is a very big advantage. The MGU-H is more than 25kg and it is very high up. So it will give us huge benefit, even if the turbine is the same size.”

He admitted his concerns then about the turbine shaft. “Very difficult,” he said. “The turbine is rotating more than 100,000rpm. The limit is 125,000. It has huge mass for the turbine and compressor. It is very hard to realise. That’s why Ferrari and Renault doesn’t create that. So that’s why I can’t tell if we can realise that.”

We don’t know if that is the problem with the Honda engine, but it gives a sense of the scale of the challenge facing them.

And finally to balance the nerd quotient of this very post.

Tatiana Calderon from Colombia has signed as a development driver for Sauber. And she will have to surely have a strong season in GP3 with DAMS before getting anywhere close to that Sauber.
Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-tatianacalderon.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:17   #209
BHPian

Wet tyre tests have started.

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-c55kfciwyaebsko.jpg
Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-c55kghnxeaaevqt.jpg

McLaren continues their disastrous campaign with Honda.
Maybe the people's expectations of quick gratification, rather than long term toils for rewards is reflecting in the outrage that happens everytime a Honda PU fails or when McLaren continues in the lower half of timing sheet.

Alonso’s comments about turning left differently to turning right might suggest that the Honda PU's scavenge pumps are being starved as these are usually on one side of the engine, typically one for each crank throw and one for valve train.
If these parts are the wrong shape, it could probably take time to fix, hopefully will be ready for next test.
Possible that when the car takes turn 3 on full throttle the oil pressure has down peaks because of the G-forces forcing the oil to stay back in the system. Since this could lead to a mechanical failure, they might not be running at full power.
However, the second PU failure after making a temp. modification to the oil tank and running conservatively is the more serious one as they have to find the root cause and eliminate it.

The other half of information is that oil tank or specifically speaking the baffles inside the tank is the issue, The oil tank is tall to allow air to settle out, with the pick up at the bottom. It receives oil from the scavenge pumps. The oil tank is outside the ICE and made of CF and can be refabricated in 2 days. It's not a serious issue. However it's located in place difficult to reach, so you have to detach engine from car in order to repair. The tank is just behind the driver’s survival cell and the space there could be at a premium.

Name:  35583_ecco_il_serbatoio_dell_olio_della_mclaren_mercedes.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  113.9 KB

Looking at the Mercedes PU (2014) oil tank above, it seems that the shape is more and more resembling a crescent as the blower of the turbocharger gets bigger, eating into the already slim and tall tanks design.
Like all makers, Honda relies on computer simulations and dyno tests for their engine design and development. The fact that they have delivered an engine that immediately developed problems shows Honda's testing methods are flawed. Also it is fairly certain that they have not used a “test mule” (possibly illegal too) as rumored about the other manufacturers from time to time.

Whatever Merc. & Ferrari does, it appears that the only confirmation that Mercedes needs is the initial correlation between Wind Tunnel/CFD and on track to confirm. That is why they just go around pounding laps after laps. We hardly see them going around with massive aero rakes for days long. Looks like they have established sophisticated off track systems to understand and develop the car, design a test program and stick to it. Importantly, it speaks volumes about their production procedures and Quality Control that they hardly have anything fail in testing.

On a lighter note, here is Hitler's reaction to the McLaren's disastrous start to the tests.

Last edited by jfxavier : 2nd March 2017 at 14:22.
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:23   #210
BHPian

Timing at the end of Day 3 testing

Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-f1.jpg

Mercedes looks to be the car to beat again this year, both in terms of speed and reliability.
Williams will not be testing on the 4th day due the damages suffered during yesterday's Lance Stroll crash.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote