Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 8th September 2016, 14:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
This is great news and hopefully now F1 will get a shot in the arm which it desperately needs to overhaul itself.

Owners need to remember that F1 is not endurance racing with a need to preserve engines, tyres etc. It's the pinnacle of motorsport and teams needs to go all out with screaming engines, aggressive drivers, etc.

Imagine in current scenario with a grid full of Mercedes cars and drivers such as Hamilton, Verstappen and Alonso driving them!
Two engines per event (qualifying & race) of the olden days was quite wasteful.
Hopefully 2017 will change things around a bit.

Equal machinery is very tempting. What about the longest running F1 team - Ferrari? And the other teams?

Last edited by Hatari : 8th September 2016 at 14:19.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 14:34   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Equal machinery is very tempting. What about the longest running F1 team - Ferrari? And the other teams?
What I actually meant was having the most powerful machinery out there (could be Mercedes of today, Red Bull of 4 years back or Ferrari before that).

Just loosen up the sport a bit from the multitude of rules and regulations on engine development, wind tunnel testing etc.

Might burn money, but so what? If sponsors and teams are willing, I don't see anything wrong with it.
avdhesh15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 14:37   #63
MCR
BHPian

Even though F1 is sold Bernie is going to stay the Boss. So any radical change is definitely not on the cards.
Also the older F1 teams have been known too block any bold changes and will always look for changes which benefit them the most. Like the current Hybrid Era which is definitely helping Mercedes AMG the most.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37298242

So hoping for more interesting races in the future and not dead ones like in Monza recently.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In a different world, Button has agreed to be a "reserve" driver for 2017. This is very important for McLaren since he is very good with the sponsors. Also if Fernando quits F1 in 2018, McLaren have a world champion to replace him.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...2017-successor
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 15:17   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I actually meant was having the most powerful machinery out there (could be Mercedes of today, Red Bull of 4 years back or Ferrari before that).

Just loosen up the sport a bit from the multitude of rules and regulations on engine development, wind tunnel testing etc.

Might burn money, but so what? If sponsors and teams are willing, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Yes, I know. But what do you do with the other manufacturers. F1 is in a bit of a mess that no one knows how to clean up.
Problem is 2-3 teams want to loosen PU development/testing/burn money and the others dont.
So what do you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
In a different world, Button has agreed to be a "reserve" driver for 2017. This is very important for McLaren since he is very good with the sponsors. Also if Fernando quits F1 in 2018, McLaren have a world champion to replace him.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...2017-successor
Alonso is not going to quit in 2018. All his talk was just to spur Honda (& McLaren) as well as the FIA on. He's had 2 years of a very frustrating time. The tactic of keeping Button on a $5m payroll is just a plot to have a bargaining chip to negotiate Alonso's 2018 contract. (yes, thats how detailed Ron Dennis thinks! )
Old 8th September 2016, 15:22   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I know. But what do you do with the other manufacturers. F1 is in a bit of a mess that no one knows how to clean up.
Problem is 2-3 teams want to loosen PU development/testing/burn money and the others dont.
So what do you do.
Well, in my opinion, when you talk about the pinnacle in motorsport, let it be a battle in which the fittest (or richest) will survive. Let PU development be opened and let the strongest win the battle. As I said, if sponsors / manufacturers will be ready to spend, why not?

If F1 can be revived, am sure we will see more manufacturers (e.g. BMW, Toyota, etc) who might want to come back in to showcase their might.
avdhesh15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 18:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Owners need to remember that F1 is not endurance racing with a need to preserve engines, tyres etc. It's the pinnacle of motorsport and teams needs to go all out with screaming engines, aggressive drivers, etc.
I think the tyre scenario is an embarrassment to F1. Bridgestone developed enduring tyres that could last for most part of the race even with driver pushing it. These short life Pirelli tyres seem to be holding back the drivers!
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 15:35   #67
BHPian

Default Re: The 2016 F1 Season Thread

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mallya-...lkenberg-exit/

Force India team boss Vijay Mallya has confirmed Nico Hulkenberg’s departure from the Silverstone-based outfit to Renault in 2017.

Manor drivers Pascal Wehrlein and Esteban Ocon are now linked with a move to Force India now that the German’s seat is vacant.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 19:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hulkenberg signing for Renault in 2017 is a great step and bit of a no brainer.
Force India are a great mid field team, but no more.

Bottas should sign as well.
Old 15th October 2016, 12:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hulkenberg signing for Renault in 2017 is a great step and bit of a no brainer.
Force India are a great mid field team, but no more.

Bottas should sign as well.
The main attraction has to be Bob Bell and he himself has admitted that they are looking at a 5-7 year plan to come back to the front. I think Nico's change in mindset had to do with how Force India kept looking for better drivers every season and Nico was the one who was always being threatened to lose his seat. He just decided to show FI the finger this time.

Its great for Nico to be a factory team but in recent times Force India have been great. They lead Williams in the constructors table this year and looks like they will keep 4th place as well. Williams were threatening Ferrari last year for most of the season. Force India have done well this year, but it remains to be seen if they can catch up with the new regulations for 2017.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 22:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The main attraction has to be Bob Bell and he himself has admitted that they are looking at a 5-7 year plan to come back to the front. I think Nico's change in mindset had to do with how Force India kept looking for better drivers every season and Nico was the one who was always being threatened to lose his seat. He just decided to show FI the finger this time.

Its great for Nico to be a factory team but in recent times Force India have been great. They lead Williams in the constructors table this year and looks like they will keep 4th place as well. Williams were threatening Ferrari last year for most of the season. Force India have done well this year, but it remains to be seen if they can catch up with the new regulations for 2017.
He's left on very good terms as Force India had something for him in 2017 and they have gone ahead and released him out of goodwill.
Williams success last season was due to the Mercedes power unit compared to Ferrari's. Unfortunately, I dont see any more good results for Williams in the coming years. They dont have enough of a budget in place for development. Renault, Force India and McLaren will move up.
Old 17th October 2016, 12:51   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He's left on very good terms as Force India had something for him in 2017 and they have gone ahead and released him out of goodwill.
Williams success last season was due to the Mercedes power unit compared to Ferrari's. Unfortunately, I dont see any more good results for Williams in the coming years. They dont have enough of a budget in place for development. Renault, Force India and McLaren will move up.
Call me stupid but I am rooting for Alonso to win the Drivers Championship next year.
Old 17th October 2016, 22:54   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Call me stupid but I am rooting for Alonso to win the Drivers Championship next year.
Being an Alonso fan myself, that sounds very good to the ears. I haven't been following F1 much because of studies. What are the reasons you think so?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 17:23   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Being an Alonso fan myself, that sounds very good to the ears. I haven't been following F1 much because of studies. What are the reasons you think so?

-Bhargav
Well its more of a gut feeling and a fan boy statement.

I do however think that the Honda engine has developed a lot and certain tracks like Malaysia were proof. I think the remaining 5-6 races and the winter should get them up to speed. Ex-VW WRC boss at the top seat in the pitlane also. It would be great to watch Nando battle the Mercedes & Red Bull cars next year. Here's hoping!
Old 18th October 2016, 18:08   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post

-Bhargav

Alonso's fortunes in F1 and results of Honda's efforts will invariably be interdependent.
And they are chasing a moving target.
Hopefully the rate of improvement for the top teams will plateau sooner than later, allowing Honda to catch up.

Quote:
Well its more of a gut feeling and a fan boy statement.

I do however think that the Honda engine has developed a lot and certain tracks like Malaysia were proof. I think the remaining 5-6 races and the winter should get them up to speed. Ex-VW WRC boss at the top seat in the pitlane also. It would be great to watch Nando battle the Mercedes & Red Bull cars next year. Here's hoping!
In my opinion Honda will definitely get closer to front, but for McLaren to start winning again, they will have to come up with a much better car than what they have managed to do these years. Hopefully the regulation changes happening next year will give them a chance to come up with something special.
Honda is done with this year's PU development. It's all about 2017 from now, other than refining the drivabilty and mapping of the engine.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/187525757

This one's for Alonso fans

Last edited by jfxavier : 18th October 2016 at 18:37.
jfxavier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 22:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

McLaren jumping from 6th place to the top step looks close to impossible in one year.
Finishing 3rd in the Constructors will be a good job done.

Maybe 2018 is when they can look to be serious title contenders.
Beating Red Bull and Mercedes will be a massive achievement. Ferrari will be easier.

In the meantime, I have been watching the FIA Season review of 2005 and 2006 to cheer myself up.
Cant believe there was a time where any one of 4 teams could get pole/win..