Default Formula 1 : 2016 United States Grand Prix

Formula 1 : 2016 United States Grand Prix

Name:  Banner.gif
Views: 843
Size:  37.2 KB
Name:  Photo  Track Sunshine.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  63.0 KB

Formula 1 returns to the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, for the 18th round of the 2016 Formula 1 season. Last year, this venue provided entertaining racing, and also served as the place where Lewis Hamilton secured his 3rd World Drivers' Championship (WDC). While the WDC battle will not be decided this weekend at Austin, let's see if this year can provide as exciting a race as 2015:

Race Timings in IST
With the race starting at 2 pm local time, it promises to be a late night indeed for those of us in India watching it live - the race flags off at 12:30 am on Monday morning (24-Oct). The below timings are in IST:
Name:  Race Timings.gif
Views: 764
Size:  21.0 KB

Track Information
Name:  Circuit Diagram with Gear Information.gif
Views: 787
Size:  94.0 KB
  • First Grand Prix: 2012
  • Circuit Length: 5.513 km (3.427 miles)
  • Number of Laps: 56
  • Orientation: Anti-clockwise
  • No. of turns: 20 tu
  • Race Distance: 308.405 km
  • Lap Record (Race): 1:39.347 – S. Vettel (2012)
  • Lap Record (Any Session): 1:35.657 – S. Vettel (2012, Q3)
  • Capacity: 120,000
  • 2015 USGP Attendance: 224,011 (over three days)
  • Architect: Hermann Tilke

The COTA is notable for having drawn inspiration from the best parts of multiple tracks, and has also taken advantage of the site's natural topography, most distinctive of which is the run up to turn 1, which features an increase in elevation of 30m! The below graphic shows the elevation levels across the whole track.
Name:  Circuit Diagram with Elevation Graphic.gif
Views: 805
Size:  189.5 KB

Race Weekend - Weather
Unlike last year's notably wet weather, this weekend is forecast to be dry and sunny.
Name:  Weather.gif
Views: 732
Size:  20.3 KB

Race Weekend - Tyre Selection
Pirelli have designated the super-soft (red), soft (yellow) and medium (white) tyres for the race weekend. Under the new tyre rules for 2016, these are the tyres that Pirelli has said must be used at some point in the race. Each driver must have both these sets available for the race, and must use at least one of them.
  • One set of P Zero White medium
  • One set of P Zero Yellow soft
For Q3 in qualifying, one set of P Zero Red super-soft have been assigned to each driver.

Drivers have selected the following combinations of the dry tyres:
Name:  Tyre Choices.gif
Views: 752
Size:  127.3 KB

Paul Hembery, Motorsport Director for Pirelli has this to say:
Quote:
“The significance of the United States both as a race and a market for us goes without saying, especially with the opening of our first P Zero World store in Los Angeles earlier this year. The 2015 Grand Prix was particularly challenging because of the weather, meaning that the teams are lacking recent data on the slick compounds at Austin. We’re also bringing the super-soft to the track for the very first time. As a result, the free practice sessions in particular will be extremely important this year, with the optimal strategy yet to be defined.”

Race Weekend - Entertainment
Like most F1 venues, the race weekend is not limited to just F1. The race weekend has two other support races: the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup and Master's Historic Racing.

There's also entertainment in the form of a Taylor Swift and an Usher concert. This will extend the celebrations well into the night, on both Saturday and Sunday:
Name:  Photo  Concerts.gif
Views: 746
Size:  148.4 KB

World Constructors' Championship (WCC)
Name:  Constructors Standing.gif
Views: 824
Size:  13.9 KB
Name:  Constructors Championship  Merc.gif
Views: 745
Size:  119.8 KB
Mercedes have already wrapped up the 2016 WCC at Suzuka, their third successive title making a clean sweep of the current turbo era. However there are various other constructors battles happening further down the order, which are of equal importance, since it is the constructors' standing that determines the prize money paid out to teams. Areas to watch out for are:
  • Red Bull vs. Ferrari - with Red Bull placed 50 points ahead of Ferrari, is there a way Ferrari can challenge Red Bull for the #2 spot?
  • Force India vs. Williams - can Force India consolidate their fourth position, or will Williams fight back?
  • McLaren vs. Toro Rosso - With 62 points, McLaren seem secure with the #6 spot. But can Toro Rosso bridge the 15-point gap to overtake them?
  • Manor vs. Sauber - at the very back of the grid, we have Manor with 1 point and Sauber with none. Can a financially-revitalized Sauber manage to get 2 or more points to jump ahead of Manor in the standings, or will Manor prevail?
Name:  Drivers Standing.gif
Views: 755
Size:  44.3 KB

World Drivers' Championship (WDC)
  • The WDC remains an open battle, although it is limited to the two Mercedes drivers.
  • Nico Rosberg enters this round with a 33-point lead over Lewis Hamilton, having outscored Lewis at every one of the last five races.
  • While the drivers' championship remains open, it will not be decided in this race. The fact that there are 3 more races after this means that irrespective of their finishing positions in this US GP, the drivers' championship will still remain open as they head to Mexico. Hopefully, that will translate to an exciting battle on track at the US GP.
  • Interestingly, this is the first time as teammates that Nico enters this race with a points lead over Hamilton.
  • Further down the order, those drivers who've not got a seat confirmed for 2017 will be seeking to impress. This includes Kvyat for his Toro Rosso seat, Magnussen and Palmer for the one remaining Renault seat, Ericsson and Nasr for the Sauber seats, Wehrlein and Ocon for the Manor seats, and Gutierrez and Grosjean for the Haas seats.
Name:  Drivers Standing.gif
Views: 755
Size:  44.3 KB

Last edited by arunphilip : 18th October 2016 at 09:20.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 07:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Team Previews and Analysis

Mercedes
Name:  Team 1  Mercedes.gif
Views: 577
Size:  67.5 KB
Nico Rosberg
Quote:
“It was a great week, heading back to the UK with the constructors’ championship in the bag and celebrating with all our colleagues at Brackley and Brixworth. They’ve worked so hard and really deserve this moment. It’s job done in that battle for this year - but I know they’re already focused on 2017. We’ve got four more races left of this season for everyone to hopefully enjoy some great action on track - starting of course in Austin this weekend. It’s a great circuit, with some really challenging sections and a few good opportunities for overtaking. The city itself is awesome and I’m sure everyone in the paddock looks forward to this one. Last year this race obviously didn’t work out so great for me, so I’ m looking forward to getting back out there and doing my best to get it right this time. Hopefully we won’t have the same weather as last year - that was pretty crazy! Mostly I hope it stays dry for the fans: they were amazing waiting out in the rain last time, so they’re owed a nice dry weekend I think! They give us such great hospitality that they deserve an exciting show, so we’ll do our best to provide that.”
Lewis Hamilton
Quote:
“Seeing all the guys and girls at the factory last week really brought home just what we’ve achieved together this year. They’ve worked so damned hard to give Nico and me this great car and you can see how much it means to them. We’ve got four races left to make the most of it and that’s exactly what I plan to do. It’s just about hitting every race weekend as hard as I can, going all out for every win and seeing what happens from there. I’ll be holding nothing back out there. First up, we’re back in the States - which is like a second home race for me these days. I love the country, the culture, the people and the track, so I can’t wait to get started. I’ve got some great memories from Austin, with three wins from four races and, of course, the title win last year. That was one of the highlights of my career, no doubt. It’s almost like the American fans have adopted me as their own, so I’ll try to channel all of that positive energy into this weekend.”
With a drivers' championship to be won and lost by either driver, they will be keen on repeating the highs and avoiding the lows of the 2015 US GP. While Rosberg qualified on pole, he was quickly pushed off track at the start at turn 1 by Hamilton. Later, on lap 48, Rosberg lost the lead - and his shot at victory - to Hamilton, when Rosberg ran wide. Hamilton will be keen to improve his qualifying form, and to convert it into a victory.
Name:  Photo  Turn 1 Merc Cars______resized.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  66.5 KB
2015 US GP: Rosberg recovers after having been pushed off at turn 1 by Hamilton who ran wide

Engine reliability will remain another area of concern for both drivers - with Hamilton having suffered a string of failures this year, and Rosberg having been unusually lucky with no failures.

Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
Quote:
“Last week was a fitting way to mark a great achievement by the hundreds of men and women who made this triple championship a reality. But that was last week. We now look only forwards and our priority over the coming weeks is to give both our boys the best possible chance of winning the remaining four races. The title is purely between them, which is fantastic news for the team as we can be happy whatever the final outcome. However, the pressure is on to ensure that their battle is decided man-to-man, and hopefully wheel-to-wheel, on the race track. We may already have celebrated our championship success as a team - but we have a responsibility to the drivers and will not let anything distract us from the job at hand. Likewise, we have an entirely new challenge to prepare for in 2017. While we savour these moments, it’s going to be a long, hard winter ahead. There is much work to be done in the coming weeks and months - but also plenty of excitement on the way I’m sure.”
Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (Technical)
Quote:
“Looking ahead to Austin, we’ll be hoping for some drier weather than last year - which won’t be difficult, given the torrential rain which simply didn’t stop until Sunday last time around! The weather conditions in 2015 have also had a knock-on effect in that we actually have very little up-to-date data from which to establish the performance of the car and the tyres at this circuit. Teams will therefore have to work on the basis of records from 2014, which is an unusual challenge heading into a race weekend. We have the medium, soft and supersoft tyre compounds available this weekend, which will likely produce some quicker lap times than those previously seen at this circuit. It’s a great track, with interesting elevation changes, tricky sequences of corners providing a good all-round test of power and cornering, with some prime overtaking opportunities too. In its short history to date, this track has always produced exciting races - not least last year, which saw multiple changes of the lead. There are plenty of enthusiastic fans who come from all across Northern and Central America, which is great to see. We know how dedicated they are, having seen them standing out in the rain last year waiting until the bitter end for the show to continue. We look forward to going back to Austin and putting on another great event in this very welcoming city.”
Red Bull
Name:  Team 2  Red Bull.gif
Views: 570
Size:  59.6 KB
Max Verstappen
Quote:
“The COTA track is very special, it’s a new track but with a lot of old school corners in it (but with more run off) which makes it really cool to drive. Turn 1 has such a big radius it gives a lot of overtaking opportunities, and then the whole of the first sector has the S’s, it’s a bit like Silverstone or Suzuka. It is a really fun circuit to race. I had a good look around Austin last year and really liked it, I love America in general, the people are so friendly and I always feel comfortable and relaxed there. Burgers and meat, it is so good there. I will probably have to be a bit careful to watch my weight as you can eat so well in Austin. I am sure I will find time for a nice steak though.”
Daniel Ricciardo
Quote:
“The track in Austin is sick, I love it. It has a lot of unique features like the wide apex at turn one, you could fit about four cars side by side through there. There are loads of opportunities to overtake and have fun throughout the whole track. It has fast flowing sections and hairpins, pretty much everything I like in a track. Austin city is also awesome, I really like its character. It’s raw and authentic which makes it cool without trying to be. The old school bars and music venues which are super cool just makes it work. Pete’s Piano bar and Rainey Street has a lot of local music which is a really nice vibe and I want to check out Hotel Vegas this year.”
Despite a troubled 2015 season, Red Bull demonstrated their chassis' strength at the 2015 US GP by giving Mercedes a run for their money in the wet (although they fell behind once the track dried). Having eclipsed Ferrari thus far in 2016, one wonders just what is in store for us fans from the pairing of Verstappen and Ricciardo at the 2016 US GP.

Ferrari
Name:  Team 3  Ferrari.gif
Views: 567
Size:  68.2 KB
Vettel and Räikkönen hold 5 drivers' championships between themselves. Ferrari must be hoping that with the most accomplished driver pairing on the grid, they are able to close the gap to Red Bull. The drivers themselves must be wishing for strategy calls from the pitwall that match their driving skills.

Force India
Name:  Team 4  Force India.gif
Views: 557
Size:  67.0 KB
Nico Hulkenberg
Quote:
“The weekend in Austin is one of the coolest of the whole year. It’s an event that ticks all the boxes: the track is fun, the city is interesting and the people are great. There’s a brilliant atmosphere, which you can feel as soon as you land in the city, and I really enjoy going there.

“I think COTA is one of the best tracks among the recent introductions to the calendar – they did a superb job with the layout. Sector one is very quick, with a great flow and high speeds. The whole lap has a good rhythm and overtaking is possible so you usually see some great racing.

“Last year was a very weird race, with some crazy rain on Saturday. When you get really wet weather, it adds to the challenge, because you have to keep focus while waiting around for the sessions to restart. You need to switch off and then be able to switch on again, but that’s part of being a racing driver.”
Sergio Perez
Quote:
“Before Mexico joined the calendar, Austin felt like a home race for me so I am always happy to go there, to be close to home and to be able to spend a bit of time with my family and friends at the circuit. I always have guests with me and there are so many fans who make the trip from Mexico to see the race in Austin.

“The city is really nice and you’re never short of things to do. The whole place comes alive at night and there are so many bars and restaurants to enjoy. Of course, being there to race means we do not really get the chance to go out much, but even going for a walk gives you an opportunity to enjoy the atmosphere and see all the fans. It’s a young city, with many students, and that gives it a nice vibe.

“The circuit is incredible. The facilities are impressive and once the racing starts the atmosphere is really cool. It’s quite different from your average Formula One environment and makes for a very welcome change.

“Turn one is very tricky: you get to the top of the hill and the apex is blind, so you can’t really see where you’re going or the best line into the corner. You take a leap of faith and just go for it, and if you hesitate it’s very easy to turn in too late and lose precious time. You just need to get your calculations right.

“There are many corners inspired by other tracks - you get hints of Monza in the big braking zones, a reminder of Silverstone in the fast corners and it makes for a very interesting lap. Last year’s weekend was very difficult, with the weather stopping us from doing much practice, but we came away with a good result in the end and hopefully we can score strongly again this year.”
Vijay Mallya, Team Principal
Quote:
“Malaysia and Japan were positive races for us. We were close to maximising our potential at each of those events and that’s all we can do at this stage of the season. Sepang and Suzuka provide a tough test of a Formula One car and our strong form is a good sign for the races to come.

“We’re in the middle of a very busy spell for the sport with four races within a month. The motivation and belief in the team are high and the visit to North America is always a highlight of the year. At such a busy time, it’s important to keep focus: the margins between success and failure are very small and we need to perform at the top of our game in every area. I’m proud of the job we are doing and excited about the challenge ahead of us.”
Williams
Name:  Team 5  Williams.gif
Views: 569
Size:  58.5 KB
Although Williams are only 10 points adrift of Force India in the constructors' championship, this has come about due to strong showings by both Force India cars in the recent races. In the constructors' championship, this year Williams are unable to match their 3rd place finishes in 2014 and 2015, and taking 4th place itself appears to be a challenge.

McLaren
Name:  Team 6  McLaren.gif
Views: 566
Size:  65.8 KB
Fernando Alonso
Quote:
“It’s great to go back to North America - Austin is a really cool place and I’m pleased we’re returning there after a bit of uncertainty following last year’s event. It’s a Grand Prix in which you never really know what to expect, and I would say that last year I had one of my favourite races because, despite having a puncture on lap two, we were able to push and make progress through the field, which was hugely satisfying from behind the wheel. The weather can always give us a few surprises and the track temperature often changes a lot from session to session, so I hope we can find a good set-up early on and improve our pace as the weekend progresses.

“The Circuit of The Americas is a big challenge for every car - each sector offers something completely different. The first section requires a lot of precision, as it’s a big climb up to the first corner, which you go into blind. The elevation changes put a lot of pressure on the car and it’s important to get good traction out of each corner. It’s a really exhilarating circuit to drive and you need to work hard at every braking point to keep good momentum around the circuit, as the rhythm is constantly changing along with the elevation as you go around the lap.”
Jenson Button
Quote:
“I’m looking forward to heading back to Austin. I’ve been spending more and more time in the States recently and Austin is a city with passionate fans that really love their racing. The atmosphere downtown is really relaxed and we usually take the opportunity to sample the famous Texan cuisine in one or two of the restaurants over the course of the weekend. I’ve always liked racing at this circuit and we managed to put up a good fight last year despite not having the best outright pace, so I’m hoping for more of the same and a bit of a boost after the disappointment of our result in Japan.

“COTA is one of the few anti-clockwise circuits on the calendar, and has a bit of everything: fast corners, slow corners and heavy braking zones, so you need a car with good balance, which tends to be one of the strengths of our car. There’s lots of fast, sweeping corners in the first sector, the long straight in the second sector, and then the infield section in the final sector which is tight and twisty with long apexes and high g-forces. You really need to prepare the car for everything! For a driver it’s great fun and I hope we enjoy a better result there than in Suzuka.”
Eric Boullier, Racing Director
Quote:
“It’s no secret that we didn’t achieve the results we were looking for at Suzuka, and since returning from Japan we’ve been working hard to find the appropriate solutions to avoid a continuation of this in Austin. The Circuit of The Americas is a very different challenge in its configuration, so we hope we’ll be able to see improved performance there. However, we mustn’t be complacent, and instead keep fighting hard as we have been all year to get the best out of our package and its strengths as we head into the final back-to-back races of the season.

“Achieving a delicate compromise to suit the varying demands of this track - fast corners, slow corners, and a long straight – will be the key to maximising our performance, and we’ll be working hard to find the right balance and set-up as soon as we hit the track on Friday. The first few sessions are always unpredictable as we dial in the car to the ever-changing temperatures at different times of the day, and the autumn weather often gives us the opportunity to throw any dry-weather run plan out of the window!

“Everyone at McLaren-Honda is very pleased to be returning to Austin for the United States Grand Prix. It’s fast becoming a classic racetrack, there’s a great atmosphere, and the fans’ love of racing is palpable throughout the weekend. We always receive a very warm welcome from the Austinites and the US is a very important market for us to bring our show to every season. I hope we can provide more great racing for the crowd again this year and give our fans something to be proud of.”
Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda R&D Co Ltd Head of F1 Project & Executive Chief Engineer
Quote:
"After an intense Asian round of races, we now head off to the Circuit of The Americas where the racing is tight and we see good overtaking on track, making for interesting racing. There is plenty of variation on track with great hard braking corners, an undulating ‘S’ curve and slow twisting turns, so it will be important to us to refine and tune the power unit properly for each of these sectors.

“McLaren-Honda had good race here last year, and we hope we can do the same to target finishing in the points."
Toro Rosso
Name:  Team 7  Toro Rosso.gif
Views: 562
Size:  58.8 KB
Daniil Kvyat
Quote:
“I think the Circuit of The Americas is a bit of a combination of a few other circuits: a very mixed circuit, with fast and slow parts - it's an impressive one.

“I always lose a kilo of weight on purpose before this race to be able to regain it there and eat loads of meat - some ribs with some delicious barbecue sauce! I'm also staying and not flying to the next race until Tuesday afternoon - I will eat more ribs! (Laughs)

“(Austin,) it's small but… very cute! There are a few nice things to do there. I like going shopping to some of the few shopping centres there when we have a bit of spare time.”
Carlos Sainz
Quote:
“Turns 16 to 18 remind me of that famous very long corner in Turkey, even though I've never raced there. What we don't like about it this year though are the long straights! And the rest of it we like, and a lot, don't we?! I also want to say that from all the new tracks that have been built recently, this one and Malaysia are two of the nicest.

“Another thing we can't forget about Texas are the barbecues! Last year I arrived there a day earlier just to be able to go and have a barbecue…! Everyone was talking about it, so I had to try!

“The city is actually quite small. There's a very big, long avenue where all the action takes place, with plenty of music - it's somewhere we might go on Sunday night, but not during the rest of the weekend. I like it there. After the race I'm staying in Austin for a couple of days with some friends, it will be fun!”
Haas
Name:  Team 8  Haas.gif
Views: 564
Size:  60.4 KB
The only American team on the grid, Haas will be proud to be participating in their first US GP, not as a backmarker, but with a healthy points tally. Having said that, the Kannapolis (North Carolina) headquartered team will be keen to return to scoring points, as they've endured a pointless streak since the Austrian GP in early July. Esteban Gutiérrez will be particularly conscious of the fact that all 28 of Haas' points have been scored by his teammate Romain Grosjean. A record 7-eleventh place finishes for the team indicates that Haas are one of those teams poised to capitalize on the mistakes of teams ahead of them.

Renault
Name:  Team 9  Renault.gif
Views: 561
Size:  58.8 KB
Kevin Magnussen
Quote:
“I do love the United States and I know it well from visiting many times. The race in Austin is a great event and the circuit is really good. The fans really get behind you and I’m sure they’ll be out in force as the weather looks like it will be a lot better than all the rain we saw last year!

“The start-finish with the big climb at the end is pretty notable then there’s a fast and flowing section that follows - and that’s pretty fun. It’s a good layout that has quite a few different challenges and we have seen some decent racing there. Overtaking is possible and there can be a variety of tyre strategies too, so I think we could have a fun race.

“There are a few areas we’re looking at for Austin and I also get a new floor, which usually helps with the overall balance.”
Jolyon Palmer
Quote:
“It looks like a great track and it looks like one of the best modern layouts so I’m looking forward to getting out there. In the sim it seems quite tricky with a nice bit of undulation, some blind corners and some good meaty fast corners so it should be a good challenge to drive. I’ve never driven it before so it’s going to be another occasion when I learn it on the Friday.

“Austin itself is a fantastic city, the countryside in Texas is superb and the people are so welcoming. There is a lot more Formula One knowledge than I expected as you always think NASCAR or IndyCar when you think of motorsport in the US.

“My problem with the US is the food; there are too many temptations! This is tough as I have to watch my weight so closely. I’d love to be tucking into ribs and burgers all the time! Aside from trying to keep away from the food, it really is a nice place to go racing. It’s something different, especially to be in Texas, there’s a great atmosphere there. Last year we had huge downpours, which was a shame so I’m hoping for some good weather this year and a big crowd!”
Nick Chester, Technical Director
Quote:
“It’s all about maximising what we have. There are a few minor aero bits we will have on the car that are just the final elements of the R.S.16 development programme. In addition we are making progress on set-up and tyre management, especially tyre management for qualifying.

“There’s nothing about the layout to cause alarm for our car so looking at the simulations we could have a decent race. It’s a nice smooth circuit with a high-speed first sector incorporating a lot of fast-flowing corners - the type of which have turned out okay for our car of late. If you look at the rest of the circuit too we are predicting a Sepang / Suzuka level of performance from the R.S.16.”
Manor
Name:  Team 10  Manor.gif
Views: 565
Size:  64.0 KB
Pascal Wehrlein
Quote:
“I’m really excited about heading to the US, Mexico and Brazil. The cities are really cool – places I really want to visit and explore – and the circuits are a mix of new and traditional. So it’s going to be fun.

“I like the look of the section from Turns 12-15 – very much like the stadium section at Hockenheim, so that gets a thumbs-up before I’ve even started running there. I think the sensation of heading through the start-finish straight and up the steep hill to Turn 1 is going to be really cool as well and then there are some other sections that are reminiscent of other circuits, like Silverstone, so it seems that it has a bit of everything. The weather can be quite mixed there - judging by what I saw there last year - so it will be interesting working with the tyres I think. I can’t wait.”
Esteban Ocon
Quote:
“I’m really getting into a good rhythm now. At first it was not easy, stepping into a new car mid-season, but every race things are improving and when we have a nice run-up to race day, I can really show what I can do. So, yes, another strong weekend in Austin would be good.

“It looks pretty amazing. It’s the Live Music Capital of the World, so I’m hoping to experience that a little bit before the hard work starts for the weekend. And the Texas BBQ looks good too. I’ll give that a try, for sure!”
Jordan King (driving in FP1 only)
Quote:
“First of all, I’d like to thank the team for making this possible. It’s another big step in the right direction for me, after two really positive tests in the MRT05 which paved the way for this opportunity. It’s a dream come true, but at the same time I have a job to do in the car on Friday and I want to make sure I give the team plenty of quality feedback and data to help with their USGP challenge.

“There’s quite a lot to cram into 90 minutes. I’ll be exploring the balance of the car and correlating that with the team’s simulation work. There’ll be some new components to evaluate, along with the tyre specifications for this event. I’ll also be learning the circuit and getting up to speed with the car, which has been developed quite a bit since I last drove it at Silverstone. I can’t wait!”
Dave Ryan, Racing Director
Quote:
“Both race drivers will be looking to get the American rounds underway with a nice smooth weekend in Austin and we’ve done a lot of work since Japan to make sure that’s possible. It will be good to give Jordan his first FP1 session. He’s done a really great job in his Development Driver role and this opportunity was a planned part of his programme with us. We look forward to getting his feedback and this further opportunity to appraise his performance in the MRT05.”
Sauber
Name:  Team 11  Sauber.gif
Views: 564
Size:  63.2 KB
Longbow Finance's takeover of Sauber in July 2016 brought with it a much-needed infusion of funds. The change was apparent - as new development parts started appearing on the Sauber cars shortly thereafter. While this hasn't translated into points or better race finishes, Sauber must be hopeful of taking a point or two, to move ahead of Manor.

Its time to go racing bigtime in Texas, 'cause everything's bigger in Texas!
Name:  Photo  Stars and Stripes Track.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  55.3 KB

Sources: formula1.com, instagram.com/f1, fia.com, FIA Media Kit, circuitoftheamericas.com

Last edited by arunphilip : 18th October 2016 at 09:27.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 10:03   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Formula 1 : 2016 United States Grand Prix

0030 hours on a Monday morning . Got to love the USA Grand Prix!

Still, can't miss it. The season is too interesting now. The championship is majorly in Rosberg's favour - either he'll take his chances from "good" to "inevitable" this weekend, or Hamilton will have lady luck shining on him. Lets not forget, Hamilton has won 4 out of the 5 times he's raced here.

Plus, the track is good & drivers love it too. Here's to an enjoyable race .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 11:11   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Still, can't miss it. The season is too interesting now. The championship is majorly in Rosberg's favour - either he'll take his chances from "good" to "inevitable" this weekend, or Hamilton will have lady luck shining on him. Lets not forget, Hamilton has won 4 out of the 5 times he's raced here.

Plus, the track is good & drivers love it too. Here's to an enjoyable race .
Summarising, it's Rosberg consistency vs Hamilton's luck + daring stunts backed up by Red Bull flank attacks
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 18:02   #5
BHPian

Once Rosberg wins this year, finally maybe people will start acknowledging that he has driven better than Hamilton this year and it's not JUST Hamilton driving bad.

As GTO said, can't miss this race regardless of time!
RPM1500 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 19:07   #6
BHPian

Excellent Preview
The formality of WCC is out of the way and let the games begin for the rest of the battles.

Nico has outperformed Lewis this year and it remains to see how the pressure will act upon Lewis. Will he have the reserves to overcome the pressure in these last few races? My personal opinion is that Nico will hold on to the lead unless something disastrous happens to his PU units.

From a technical point of view, it's all about 2017. Almost
jfxavier is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 22:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

I will assume the Mercs will be on the front row. Turn 1 will be very interesting!
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 08:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I will assume the Mercs will be on the front row. Turn 1 will be very interesting!
No prize for that guess.

How I wish the new regulation changes the pecking order next year.
Rumors already on about Mercs attempting trick rear suspension for stalling the diffuser in straights and RBR going for a longer wheelbase car compared to others. And of course, about Honda going for a big compressor out of the V.
Cant wait for 2017

Last edited by jfxavier : 20th October 2016 at 09:01.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 12:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lewis has to win every race going ahead.
Rosberg has to only ensure that he comes second in every race even if Lewis wins.
Lewis is capable of doing the former, I am not entirely sure about Rosberg being able to accomplish the second. The law of averages has to catch up sometime. Hopefully its this time around.
There are many other combinations available, but the Merc dominance makes this one the most likely.
I just hope the season remains interesting for the remainder. Loved the days when the championship was decided at Suzuka....
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Lewis has to win every race going ahead.
Rosberg has to only ensure that he comes second in every race even if Lewis wins.
Lewis is capable of doing the former, I am not entirely sure about Rosberg being able to accomplish the second. The law of averages has to catch up sometime. Hopefully its this time around.
There are many other combinations available, but the Merc dominance makes this one the most likely.
I just hope the season remains interesting for the remainder. Loved the days when the championship was decided at Suzuka....
So far Nico has accomplished much more than what you said above.

I would throw in a couple of DNF and mechanical failures too just to spice things up
jfxavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 17:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nico is actually strong at most of the remaining races, and won three of them last year. Agreed not with the WDC on the line but confidence from past performances can only do him good.

Blow up an engine for kicks and giggles

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2016 at 17:46.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 19:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

I've already posted the eye-catching video of the 2015 race edit in the first post. Now, here are 3 more nice videos from the official F1 channel:

Turn 1 was the scene of an epic start last year, when Hamilton ran wide and pushed Rosberg off the track, making him concede the lead. It has also been the scene of various interesting overtakes. This video delves into what makes the corner so special - the elevation, track width, and the unsighted apex:

The circuit guide for the COTA, narrated by David Coulthard:

In the first year of the US GP at the COTA, Sebastian Vettel set the fastest lap of the race with a time of 1:39.347 in the last lap of the race. Go on-board with second-placed Vettel for that lap, as he desperately tried to catch race-winner Lewis Hamilton:
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 07:55   #13
BHPian

Oh Daniel,

ecenandu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 23:51   #14
BHPian

Business as usual - resumed.

Formula 1 : 2016 United States Grand Prix-fp1.jpg
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote