Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix

Williams top speed 372.5 Kmph

Will we break the record?
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 02:21   #17
BHPian

Arguably the closest and exciting race of the season. Vettel gets the final podium position after Max given 5 second post race penalty.
1. Hamilton
2. Roseberg
3. Vettel

For a change Ferrari got their strategy right, at least in case of Vettel.

Last edited by Makin Rulesz : 31st October 2016 at 02:24.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 02:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

What drama, right down to the green room Too bad, VES lost his cool and drops to 5th. How times have changed, a team that set a target of 3 wins in 2015 and achieved it. Now has to celebrate big time for barely entering podium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
For a change Ferrari got their strategy right, at least in case of Vettel.
RAI's looked like a team orders stop. Agree with you on pit stop of VET
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 03:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Race Result

Race Result - Hamilton wins, Rosberg second, Vettel third

Name:  Race Hero.gif
Views: 1782
Size:  146.4 KB
  • Hamilton wins the Mexican GP, with Rosberg in second, resulting in yet another 1-2 finish for the dominant Mercedes. Through the race, it was Verstappen who kept Rosberg honest by staying close and even attempting one lunge that didn't pay off.
  • Rosberg's lead in the drivers' championship is down to 19 points.
  • Vettel in third, after a penultimate lap incident with Verstappen results in the latter being given a 5-second timed penalty at the end of the race.
  • Ricciardo fourth and Verstappen fifth after the 5-second timed penalty was applied. Ricciardo also set the fastest lap of 1:21.134, which was six-tenths slower than last year.
  • Räikkönen followed home with sixth for the second Ferrari.
  • Both the cars of Force India and Williams rounded out the top 10, with Force India increasing their lead over Williams to 9 points.
  • Marcus Ericsson of Sauber came in 11th to mark their best finish, and closest attempt to scoring a point. Their pointless run continues however, as the top 5 teams had locked up the top 10 point scoring positions.
  • Sauber, McLaren, Renault, Toro Rosso, Haas and Manor all finished outside the points.
  • The only retirement was the Manor of Pascal Wehrlein, due to accident damage sustained after he was tapped by the Haas of Esteban Gutiérrez.

Name:  Race Classification.gif
Views: 1785
Size:  83.2 KB

Championship Standings - Top 10 Drivers
Name:  Drivers Standings Top 10.gif
Views: 1757
Size:  132.6 KB

Photos of Interest
Name:  All Time Wins.gif
Views: 1742
Size:  48.5 KB
Hamilton's victory was his 51st, which tied him with Alain Prost as second in the all-time list of F1 victories.

Name:  Hamilton Mowing Grass.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  127.7 KB
At the start of the race, Hamilton decides the grass is too long at the end of the straight, and decides to trim it with his front wing
Also seen are Rosberg and Verstappen banging wheels. Rosberg prevailed to retain P2 although he had Verstappen breathing down his next thereafter.

Name:  No Love Lost Vettel.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  15.9 KB Name:  No Love Lost Verstappen.jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  15.8 KB
No love lost between Vettel and Verstappen at the finish line after the lap 70 incident between the pair.

Name:  Vettel Runs.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  79.6 KB
However, the stewards deemed Verstappen was in the wrong and handed him a 5-second timed penalty which demoted him to 5th and moved Vettel onto the final podium step. Since this was handed out shortly after the race ended, it meant that Verstappen had already gone to the cool down room, and Vettel had to run to make it to the podium instead of him.

Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-podium-distant.jpg
Arguably one of the best podiums of the calendar.

Last edited by arunphilip : 31st October 2016 at 03:23.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 06:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Race Result

Quote:
[*]Vettel in third, after a penultimate lap incident with Verstappen results in the latter being given a 5-second timed penalty at the end of the race.
Vettel demoted to 5th,

Stewards issued Vettel a 10-second penalty for his defence of Ricciardo, demoting him behind both Red Bulls and putting Ricciardo on the podium.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 07:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

What Vettel and Max had to say about each other after the race;

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 07:40   #22
BHPian

Not the best start or turn1 for that matter.
Cars going straight across the grass, pushing others off - not impressive at all.
The only one that impressed me while off track was Fernando with his superb reflexes.
Now others are questioning Lewis's actions at Turn 1 on the start.
Nico's reactions to press suggest to me that he expects to hold on to the lean and be crowned WDC this year.
What's with Vettel and talking trash? His theatrics get worse after each race. Maybe Fernando was right, that we all should forgive him for he is a highly frustrated man.

After the dust settled down, its Daniel who has the 3rd place trophy.

Name:  CwDm6ExWgAAKgNw.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  51.5 KB

Max finished 3rd on the road, Seb stood on the podium and Daniel took the trophy home. Everyone happy

Here's what the stewards had to say about Vettel.
Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-vettel.jpg

New Race classification
Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-class.jpg

Driver's standings after applying the penalties.
Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-standings.jpg

Last edited by jfxavier : 31st October 2016 at 07:53.
jfxavier is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 09:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
Now others are questioning Lewis's actions at Turn 1 on the start.
I’m also surprised at the lack of investigation towards Hamilton cutting the corner on turn 2. In my opinion, although it was a lap 1 turn 1 incident, it was an unforced error (not due to wheel-to-wheel racing), so the usual leeway given by stewards to lap 1 turn 1 incidents shouldn’t have applied.

Rosberg and Verstappen coming together there was correctly investigated as it was two cars racing, and not a bunch of cars piling into turn 1 causing bumping.

Quote:
Max finished 3rd on the road, Seb stood on the podium and Daniel took the trophy home. Everyone happy
Priceless! Although if Vettel reads your comment, he'll have something unprintable to say about your "Everyone happy" statement

Red Bull had an unofficial podium ceremony where Verstappen handed the 3rd place trophy to Ricciardo. I am curious as to the fate of the person who had to inform Vettel and take the trophy away from him!
Name:  Impromptu Podium.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  124.1 KB
I love the expression of the official on the right. She's like "Can you wind this up already so I can go home? Its been a long day!"

Quote:
Driver's standings after applying the penalties.
The revised standings also mean that Ricciardo is 3rd in the WDC. He is 55 points ahead of 4th-placed Vettel with only 50 points available to a single driver over the remaining two races. 4th place is open with 3 drivers (Vettel, Räikkönen and Verstappen) all within 10 points of each other.

Last edited by arunphilip : 31st October 2016 at 09:01.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What drama, right down to the green room Too bad, VES lost his cool and drops to 5th. How times have changed, a team that set a target of 3 wins in 2015 and achieved it. Now has to celebrate big time for barely entering podium

RAI's looked like a team orders stop. Agree with you on pit stop of VET
We shouldn't be surprised anymore about Ferrari's strategies. It's clear the team doesn't have capability to focus on both their drivers' strategy during the race, while even getting it right with one driver is a lottery. They could have tried the same strategy of going long on the softs with RAI who was much higher up the road earlier, or just switch their positions in the track if RAI was holding up VET. Instead they decide it's better to screw RAI's race.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:17   #25
BHPian

A scrappy start, boring middle stints and a fiery end was what I would describe the Mexican GP as. The title battle was again relegated to an interesting side show as best.

The brilliance of Adrian Newey's Red Bull chassis is just amazing. To me it is the best chassis and aerodynamic package in the business, period. The confidence that it inspires in drivers for late braking moves, lunges etc is there to see. And in the hands of two practitioners like Verstappen and Ricciardo, it translates to some engaging racing. It is an irony that Vettel is being handed out a beating by the machinery that he himself used. At slow corners the Red Bull are clearly a step ahead even of the Silver Arrows.

That said i think it was unfair of Verstappen not to give up the place. Next year they definitely should have sleeping policemen at the runoff to this corner, like on the first corner at Monza to discourage similar excrusions. It is plain to see that straight lining that corner definitely gives an advantage. The delay by Verstappen was strategic too, allowing Vettel to fall into the hands of Ricciardo and lay the ground for Vettel's eventual penalty that sunk him to fifth. Vettel should keep his cool better given his experience. Maybe Ferrari has become a very frustrating place after all.

That aside I thought the Mexican circuit was a very boring circuit. It was evident by the way Perez was being kept at bay by the Williams.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 13:21   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
We shouldn't be surprised anymore about Ferrari's strategies. It's clear the team doesn't have capability to focus on both their drivers' strategy during the race, while even getting it right with one driver is a lottery. They could have tried the same strategy of going long on the softs with RAI who was much higher up the road earlier, or just switch their positions in the track if RAI was holding up VET. Instead they decide it's better to screw RAI's race.
I think this is the first time in a lot of races they got the strategy right. They don't have the fastest cars so they have to change it and take risks. I'm quite sure they pitted Raikkonen to cover/undercut if any of the front runners pit. They don't have much to lose.

Keeping Vettel out longer was similar to Austria, I was hoping they don't pit him early and they timed it perfectly. It was a definite 3rd place, maybe even 1st if the tyres didn't last for the guys in front.

Its a shame what Redbull VER and RIC did, its a nice option/strategy to use in the future in case your team mate is fighting for the title need more point vs the one in front of you. You can cut across the track, brake check the other car and your team mate catches up and passes him. It's just a 5 sec penalty.
alder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 14:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Although if Vettel reads your comment, he'll have something unprintable to say about your "Everyone happy" statement
I can imagine Fernando smiling at all the attention that Seb and Ferrari are attracting.
Hopefully they have fully committed all their resources towards the 2017 challenger, and are forced to have to make do with what they have in hand for the remaining races in 2016. But the rants from Seb increasingly makes it look like he is seeing a bleak picture for 2017 as well and hence the frustration. I hope I am wrong on that one.

Quote:
The revised standings also mean that Ricciardo is 3rd in the WDC. He is 55 points ahead of 4th-placed Vettel with only 50 points available to a single driver over the remaining two races. 4th place is open with 3 drivers (Vettel, Räikkönen and Verstappen) all within 10 points of each other.
I think Ricciardo's 3rd position was safe since the start of the second half of this season, where RBR completely eclipsed Ferrari on track. It was a case of just waiting for the inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Ferrari increasingly looks in disarray. The amount of pressure they have to soak up can only be compared to the Indian Cricket team.
They need some cool and calm heads to take charge of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The brilliance of Adrian Newey's Red Bull chassis is just amazing. To me it is the best chassis and aerodynamic package in the business, period. The confidence that it inspires in drivers for late braking moves, lunges etc is there to see. And in the hands of two practitioners like Verstappen and Ricciardo, it translates to some engaging racing. It is an irony that Vettel is being handed out a beating by the machinery that he himself used. At slow corners the Red Bull are clearly a step ahead even of the Silver Arrows.
RBR is definitely the best chassis on track right now.
Mercedes is not bad, but cannot compete head to head with RBR.
No wonder nobody wants to broker a PU deal for RedBull.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 14:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
I think this is the first time in a lot of races they got the strategy right. They don't have the fastest cars so they have to change it and take risks. I'm quite sure they pitted Raikkonen to cover/undercut if any of the front runners pit. They don't have much to lose.

Keeping Vettel out longer was similar to Austria, I was hoping they don't pit him early and they timed it perfectly. It was a definite 3rd place, maybe even 1st if the tyres didn't last for the guys in front.
Well, they got the strategy somewhat right with VET but it was negated with on-track antics and also the extra stop of RAI. The extra stop basically took RAI out of the fight and left just VET to fight the two bulls.

In the few laps before RAI pitted for second time, he was more or less lapping around same pace as RIC ahead of him while while VET was catching him, so it's understandable that they wanted VET ahead at that moment, that's what prompted that extra stop. If they were trying for undercut, it was poorly executed and timing wasn't right because he came out behind HUL and it took him 20 laps to clear him, which brings to my earlier point of not focussing on both drivers. If they really wanted to attempt undercut, they should have waited till there was enough gap to come out ahead of HUL or pit much later and put on some supersofts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
Its a shame what Redbull VER and RIC did, its a nice option/strategy to use in the future in case your team mate is fighting for the title need more point vs the one in front of you. You can cut across the track, brake check the other car and your team mate catches up and passes him. It's just a 5 sec penalty.
Verstappen clearly has some protection from FIA, that's very obvious. Funny thing is if VET hadn't been so vocal in the radio, especially with his choice words directed at Charlie, he may have kept the 4th place at least.

Quote:
I can imagine Fernando smiling at all the attention that Seb and Ferrari are attracting.
Hopefully they have fully committed all their resources towards the 2017 challenger, and are forced to have to make do with what they have in hand for the remaining races in 2016. But the rants from Seb increasingly makes it look like he is seeing a bleak picture for 2017 as well and hence the frustration. I hope I am wrong on that one.
2017 is going to be even worse, they will be fighting McLarens, that's what i think.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 31st October 2016 at 14:46.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I’m also surprised at the lack of investigation towards Hamilton cutting the corner on turn 2. In my opinion, although it was a lap 1 turn 1 incident, it was an unforced error (not due to wheel-to-wheel racing), so the usual leeway given by stewards to lap 1 turn 1 incidents shouldn’t have applied.
Yes, even I feel the same. Lewis locked up his front right while braking late in the first corner, to avoid further flat spotting his tyres, he used the run-off area and rejoined the track.
Now imagine if there was no run off area or if he had to go around obstacles to rejoin. (1st corner Monza) Either he would have had to brake really hard and flatspot his tyres completely, risking a spin as well while attempting to make the corner, or he would have had to go around obstacles to rejoin the track thereby losing considerable time. Either of these would have had a massive implication on his race and thereby the championship.

Hence, this incident warranted an investigation as well.
greatgyan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 16:00   #30

Here is the reason why Hamilton wasn't penalised.

Quote:
Lewis Hamilton escaped a penalty for cutting across the track at Turn 1 of the Mexican Grand Prix because telemetry showed he backed off immediately afterwards to lose the advantage he had gained.

The Mercedes driver locked up at the first corner – and elected to run straight on across the grass before rejoining with his lead intact at Turn 3.
Although several drivers questioned why Hamilton was not sanctioned for what happened – especially after a similar incident by Max Verstappen earned him a five-second penalty – it has emerged that it was what happened afterwards that proved key to the world champion being allowed to race on.
Motorsport.com has learned that F1 race director Charlie Whiting and the race stewards were comfortable that Hamilton had not gained a ‘lasting advantage’ from the incident.
Indeed, the fact that Hamilton backed off, as was proven by telemetry readings that they saw, meant there was no doubt the Briton did not deserve a punishment.
In Verstappen’s case, the stewards decided that the Dutchman had only been able to retain his position by driving across the grass and rejoining the track – which is why he was given the five-second penalty that cost him a podium.
Source: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...on-845383/?s=1
Shreyas Hande is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote