Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 31st October 2016, 16:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix

That bit of FIA reasoning is exactly why drivers and teams don't trust the officiating and are willing to risk a penalty to gain an unfair advantage.

It's immaterial if Hamilton backed off post facto, he did gain a time advantage and potentially kept a place he would've lost if he tried to stay on track. Combine that with damaged tires and a lack of clear air at the front to manage the stint, it's possible he may not have been in a position to win yesterday.

F1 stewarding continues to be hopeless.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 17:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
RAI's looked like a team orders stop. Agree with you on pit stop of VET
It could've been team order, but Raikkonen himself was complaining about low grip and from his comments he seemed to think the stop was worth a try. However, as he mentioned, he did not run the mediums at all in the FPs, so it was just that he was unaware of the kind of grip they provided on this circuit.

I think the team (race engineer) and Kimi have to share the blame for trying to run 50 race laps on a tire they didn't try at all in the FPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
It's immaterial if Hamilton backed off post facto, he did gain a time advantage and potentially kept a place he would've lost if he tried to stay on track.
I think Hamilton's case was complicated, due to the fact that the person who kept 2nd place after T2 (Rosberg) himself cut across the grass.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 17:14   #33
BHPian

Mexico isn't really my favourite track. Exactly two decent overtaking spots and narrow track doesn't make for a great race.

Like all the races, the start and the end were the best parts. I still don't understand why Verstappen wasn't penalised for pushing off Rosberg of the track. This incident was way too similar to Sainz pushing off Alonso and was penalised.

And Vettel was just desperate at the end. He should've maintained his line, Ricciardo was closer too the apex and would've gone wider as he turned.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a really pitiable behaviour by Vettel. I can understand the anger at a fellow driver but it's totally unacceptable to swear at someone so senior like Charlie who is respected across the paddock for his years and years of service to the sport.

I really hope Vettel gets a sanction, but not a penalty which needlessly penalises the team too. It should be a personal fine and/or community service really.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 06:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
but it's totally unacceptable to swear at someone so senior like Charlie who is respected across the paddock for his years and years of service to the sport.
More importantly, participants never swear against or abuse the officials of their sport - be it football referees, cricket umpires, tennis umpires and now, race officials.

The age of the official doesn't come into the equation, because it is the seat/position that is to be shown respect, not the individual.

That said, I do agree with the sentiment of also respecting the years Charlie has put in (criticism of some decisions notwithstanding).

Quote:
I really hope Vettel gets a sanction, but not a penalty which needlessly penalises the team too. It should be a personal fine and/or community service really.
FIA have decided against disciplinary action:
Quote:
...the FIA said that Vettel had "spontaneously sought out Charlie Whiting to express his regrets for his behaviour in person."

"He then, again on his own initiative, sent letters to each of the FIA President Jean Todt and Charlie Whiting, in which he apologised profusely for his actions," the statement continued. "He also indicated that he would likewise be contacting Max Verstappen and vowed that such an incident would never occur again.

"In the light of this sincere apology and strong commitment, the FIA President has decided, on an exceptional basis, not to take disciplinary action against Mr Vettel by bringing this matter before the FIA International Tribunal.
But the FIA cautioned that this was also a one-off exception, and warned all participants:
Quote:
"The FIA takes this opportunity to advise that, in the event of any future incident similar to the one that occurred in Mexico, disciplinary action will be taken by bringing such incident before the FIA International Tribunal to be judged."
Source: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...outbursts.html
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 14:44   #36
BHPian

Ferrari brings out a new device to keep Seb's concentration in the upcoming Brazilian GP, and also to spare audience and FIA
Attached Images

motor_breathing is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Vettel really crossed the line with his rant on Charlie Whiting. Im sure his penalty has something to do with that also considering "moving under braking" is something we have seen earlier this season also.

This is slowly reminding me of the time Schumacher was in Ferrari. He was widely hated by most non-ferrari fans and opponents for many of his antics. Vettel is getting there slowly.

With Mexico done, Daniel Ricciardo now seals 3rd place in the drivers championship and it looks very unlikely Sebastien can hold off Verstappen either. Quite a dismal year for the Scuderia.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Vettel really crossed the line with his rant on Charlie Whiting. Im sure his penalty has something to do with that also considering "moving under braking" is something we have seen earlier this season also.
The rule was clarified prior to the start of this race. So from grey area it was moved to more black and white. Given that Vettel was complaining the most about Max, karma played out well.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys!

Reason for the outburst from Vettel, watch this video! That kid is a dirty prick and Charlie wanted to look at that after the race

The radio from Vettel started when the kid was doing this nasty blocking on the track!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMTxi1wAvPX/

The full radio transcript, the whole conversation was not broadcasted live.

Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-screenshot_20161101174414.png

No penalty for Lewis missing Turn 1 and gaining over 1 second in just a corner at the start, no penalty for Max for running Nico off the track at the start in Turn1. That's quite a lot of consistency from Charlie and his chocolate boys, the FIA needs to sort themselves out.

Vettel's actions does require to be warned or penalised, but then I am really glad somebody really called these guys out and totally deserved. I am sure we will see some consistency in the way these guys work at least for the final few races.

Enjoy the next couple of races everyone, it should be battle royal in Brazil! I can't wait
anachronix is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 20:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Here's a fan video of all the corner cutting that occurred at the first chicane: Hamilton and Rosberg (at the start, no penalties), a very honest Sergio Perez (mid-race, no penalty) and Verstappen (lap 68, 5s penalty):

arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:07   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix
Hello Guys!

Reason for the outburst from Vettel, watch this video! That kid is a dirty prick and Charlie wanted to look at that after the race

The radio from Vettel started when the kid was doing this nasty blocking on the track!
Looking at the replays it almost looks like the Kid had it all planned. I do not understand why they didn't bother putting any bollards/gravel at that part of the grass area!

Quote:
No penalty for Lewis missing Turn 1 and gaining over 1 second in just a corner at the start, no penalty for Max for running Nico off the track at the start in Turn1. That's quite a lot of consistency from Charlie and his chocolate boys, the FIA needs to sort themselves out.
Honestly! There hasn't been any consistency at all from Charlie and his gang. Where's the transparency. Max seems to be having some kind of protection from FIA. Is it because of the huge Dutch fan base he's bringing in to watch the races?

Quote:
Vettel's actions does require to be warned or penalised, but then I am really glad somebody really called these guys out and totally deserved. I am sure we will see some consistency in the way these guys work at least for the final few races.
Vettel in the car has always been very vocal. People need to understand that he's a human after all and with all the adrenaline pumping during a race, emotions are bound to take the better of him. But, outside the car he does behave in a very matured manner. I haven't seen him blame the team (during the race or post the race) even once during all the times Ferrari screwed up the strategy.

Last edited by a*ed : 2nd November 2016 at 23:09.
a*ed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 23:51   #42
BHPian

Should I say more .

Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix-screen-shot-20161102-7.19.58-pm.png

This will clear the air, for sure.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a really pitiable behaviour by Vettel. I can understand the anger at a fellow driver but it's totally unacceptable to swear at someone so senior like Charlie who is respected across the paddock for his years and years of service to the sport.
Are you aware of the tension the driver is under when racing. It is very easy to pontificate from your drawing room. What about the time when Hamilton hit Rosberg trying to overtake at the end of the race.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are you aware of the tension the driver is under when racing. It is very easy to pontificate from your drawing room. What about the time when Hamilton hit Rosberg trying to overtake at the end of the race.
Yes sir, it gets heated up under the helmet. There is a catch though, Vettel was swearing over the radio, which may end up broadcasting via FOM feed. And top of that he started swearing at Charlie, equivalent of bashing verbally an empire or referee.

He is venting his frustration over something, haven't seen such moanings from other drivers.

His conduct over radio has been appalling lately. *Seriously, what are we doing here, seriously. Blue flags, blue flags.*

These behaviour can't be brushed under carpet saying adrenaline, heat of the moment etc.

Remember his statement on Karthikeyan. "As in real life, there are a few cucumbers on the road." after he suffered a puncture while lapping the HRT. I remember that one, he chopped in front of Karthikeyan. He got little respect for the lapped cars.

Can I make a movie reference(tamil), he is like Anyanan while racing and Ambi otherwise.
ecenandu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

The fact is you don't hear all the conversation that the drivers have on the radio, the FOM selects a few radio communication that could interest fans and then broadcast.

Ricciardo on his Monaco weekend to his team and then swearing at Kimi 'A C*** of a Bloke' and then Max on his team mates when he was at STR and also in Redbull. There are more instances of this happening!

If you think this is happening recently in F1, you should listen to Montoya on the radio

Heck, there is even a video compilation of F1 drivers in their act of showing that mighty finger to other drivers on track.

Its part of the game, that is all! There is no sport where there is so much adrenaline rush in that 90 minutes duration of a race and all these swearing tends to happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Can I...
anachronix is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote