Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 3rd November 2016, 11:51   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Formula 1 : 2016 Mexican Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are you aware of the tension the driver is under when racing. It is very easy to pontificate from your drawing room. What about the time when Hamilton hit Rosberg trying to overtake at the end of the race.
Yes, it is common knowledge that sportsmen at the highest level are always under tremendous pressure. And they have to deliver consistently under that pressure. That's why they are paid so much! And you and I pay to watch them on our flat panels.

And when under pressure, one should put their head down and let the car do the talking, not their mouth. That's what great drivers do.

And this was no one off occurrence. Vettel has been disturbed for long now. He can no longer contain it. And every time, he is taking that rant up a notch.

And if a very young Max can rattle a 4 times world champion so much, than maybe Vettel doesn't belong at the top level anymore. Maybe its time for him to get to the other side of the flat panel.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Its part of the game, that is all! There is no sport where there is so much adrenaline rush in that 90 minutes duration of a race and all these swearing tends to happen!
I know, but Vettel crossed the line by swearing at Charlie.

You forgot Ricciardo - Nico "I would love to catch that m**********r" Austin '16.
ecenandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Yes sir, it gets heated up under the helmet. There is a catch though, Vettel was swearing over the radio, which may end up broadcasting via FOM feed. And top of that he started swearing at Charlie, equivalent of bashing verbally an empire or referee.

There is another catch here. Just because he said something on radio doesn't mean it will be broadcast. And we don't get to hear the complete conversation. There is a TV director whose job is to pick and choose what to include in the TV feed and obviously he had time to beep out the expletives. The reason it was included is that it makes for some good coverage and gets people talking about it.

And as for bashing Charlie, it basically shows that drivers are starting to lose confidence in race control's ability to consistently apply the rules and much of it is because of Verstappen exploiting the rules to his advantage and getting away repeatedly.

Having watched the replays of the incidents again I feel Vettel came off worse in terms of penalty and Verstappen/Redbull got away lightly for the off track excursion. As a team Redbull actually gained few extra points in spite one of their drivers getting a penalty.
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

The FIA were running with Max's moves till they could. Thats the most publicity F1 has got in the recent past. Not everybody was interested in the Nico vs Lewis championship.

Bernie had a hand in this for sure.

But with the barrage of complaints, they had to clamp down, beginning with Mexico.

Vettel's was the mother of all meltdowns for sure. No one in the history of F1 has asked Charlie Whiting to F*** O** publicly! Rant of the year!
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
There is another catch here. Just because he said something on radio doesn't mean it will be broadcast. And we don't get to hear the complete conversation. There is a TV director whose job is to pick and choose what to include in the TV feed and obviously he had time to beep out the expletives. The reason it was included is that it makes for some good coverage and gets people talking about it.

And as for bashing Charlie, it basically shows that drivers are starting to lose confidence in race control's ability to consistently apply the rules and much of it is because of Verstappen exploiting the rules to his advantage and getting away repeatedly.

Having watched the replays of the incidents again I feel Vettel came off worse in terms of penalty and Verstappen/Redbull got away lightly for the off track excursion. As a team Redbull actually gained few extra points in spite one of their drivers getting a penalty.
+1 to the post,couldnt agree more.

JamesAllen's blog mentions that FIA informed RBR right away that Max will have to give up that position but RBR did not convey that to their driver.

RBR pulled a fast one on Ferrari with the mental games and unfortunately for Ferrari,they did succeed.

With the sham the race control is these days,maybe Vettel just said what every other driver in the paddock want to say and just that the FOM Tv director chose to air it thinking - hey,any publicity is good publicity.
jraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:21   #51
BHPian

Contrary to the public opinion I am on vettel's side (& am not even a vettel fan). Race control is in shambles since the psst few years. There's no consistency. There are a few drivers who can get away with anything but if other drivers try to emulate the same moves themselves, they are promptly penalized. Hamilton & Max are being treated like royalty. Have rarely seen Hamilton being penalized for his antics on track on Rosberg but God forbid if Nico tries to make the same or similar move on Hamilton, all hell breaks lose. Similarly is the case with Max. He has been given a very very long rope. It's not only vettel & kimi but he has rubbed several other drivers the wrong way too & has never ever been made to pay for it. If Max & Hamilton make a mistake it is always considered a racing incident but if others do it it is always Deliberate.

If Max was supposed to give the position to vettel but didn't & in the process helped his teammate Riccardo to snatch the position from vettel, then how is this different than the blue flag scenario of dealing with lapped cars ? Same rules should be applied. Vettel has just said what everyone said in hushed tones, that some drivers are clear favorites. Race control should be above board like Ceaser's wife. Since we are not racing drivers here a better way of explaining & connecting would be how we felt when our teachers & professors were openly partial to their star pupil. He or she would get bonus marks & was never wrong but the same rules never applied to the rest of the class. Didn't we just hate that student & the teacher in question ? Same thing here. If the Judiciary itself is open to showing bias who do we approach for justice ? Unfortunately this blatant partiality is in a long list of nails in F1's coffin.
Turbo_Charger is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Charger View Post
Contrary to the public opinion I am on vettel's side (& am not even a vettel fan).
You think the move he made on Ricciardo was legit? Moving under braking zone, which has been outlawed.
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

https://streamable.com/ciz8

Take a look at this, it looks like clean racing to me. That 10-sec penalty was a farce!

Quote:
You think the move he made on Ricciardo was legit? Moving under braking zone, which has been outlawed.
anachronix is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:51   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Take a look at this, it looks like clean racing to me. That 10-sec penalty was a farce!
The lap where Verstappen cut the chicane, see him swerve like people driving on Bangalore roads
nkrishnap is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:15   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Moving under braking zone, has been outlawed buddy.

Watch the onboard shot, it will show you a different picture. Vettel, clearly moved twice.

Tell me if you still think the penalty was unfair. Close racing, yes, but not a legal move, with all these stupid rules.

http://www.formula1.com/en/video.html

The 2:06 sec clip. "Tension erupts as Vettel ....", that one.
Old 4th November 2016, 13:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moving under braking zone, has been outlawed buddy.

Watch the onboard shot, it will show you a different picture. Vettel, clearly moved twice.

Tell me if you still think the penalty was unfair. Close racing, yes, but not a legal move, with all these stupid rules.

http://www.formula1.com/en/video.html

The 2:06 sec clip. "Tension erupts as Vettel ....", that one.
It looks quite hard for us to determine the so called "moving under braking". Vettels left rear tyre was also locking up along with the mega lock-up that Daniel had. Without a doubt, there will be necessary steering inputs from Vettel to make the corner as clean as possible.

There are also rules and laws for 'forcible errors' (i.e forcing another driver to make a mistake...possible by sticking your nose on the inside line before a chicane) and I dont think race control or the stewards looked towards that direction for Ricciardo.

Verstappen should have had more than just a penalty. He moved just as much as Vettel under braking, cut the corner, went down a gear and continued full throttle on the grass. He didnt even bother to move over to Vettel after his race engineer told him to relinquish the position to Vettel.

This isnt a clear black and white decision by the Race stewards. I agree Vettel warrants some disciplinary action. I guess the 10-sec penalty has a lot to do with his ranting and his personal message to Charlie Whiting too.
Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 16:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Big deal, these are times I miss the great Pastor!

He was better, the whole grid was rattled! It didn't even matter if you were a world champion or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
And if a very young Max can rattle a 4 times world champion so much, than maybe Vettel doesn't belong at the top level anymore. Maybe its time for him to get to the other side of the flat panel.
anachronix is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote