Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 24th January 2017, 15:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ross Brawn returns to Formula 1 as MD, Motor Sports

With Formula 1 been taken over by Liberty Media, the entire managing team is being reshuffled. As part of this overhauling of roles, the company’s new CEO - Chase Carey has announced the appointment of Ross Brawn as the Managing Director, Motor Sports. This marks Brawn's return to Formula 1, after he departed from the sport at the end of 2013.

Ross Brawn (62) is considered to be one of the most successful technical directors in the Formula 1 history. He has an experience of over 40 years in the motor racing domain. Brawn served as the technical director for Benetton and Ferrari in the 1990s and 2000s, with both teams winning the championship titles under his leadership. He joined Honda in 2007, and later led a management buyout of the team, renaming it to BrawnGP. In 2009, this new team won the World Driver's and Constructors' championship.

Brawn sold his team to Mercedes-Benz in 2010. He then took the role of team boss with Mercedes for the next 3 years, before exiting the sport in 2013. Brawn has also been an advisor and consultant for Liberty Media during the buyout of Formula 1.

Chase Carey has also announced the appointment of Sean Bratches as the Managing Director, Commercial Operations. Bratches has been a sports executive for ESPN. He has over 27 years of experience in the domain.

Ross Brawn returns to Formula 1 as MD, Motor Sports-cwzblhmuaaasumv.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 24th January 2017 at 15:22.
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2017, 10:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ross Brawn returns to Formula 1 as MD, Motor Sports

This is incredible news for F1 fans .

Ross Brawn knows racing & is a technical genius. From the start itself, I expect him to bring stability to the sport (goodbye to silly + constant + overnight rule changes). And we can count on Brawn to make the racing more interesting. I don't know how - refuelling, tyres...? Just can't think of a better man for this role .

Hope he also slowly & steadily makes the engines bigger. F1 having puny engines that sound like modified Toyota Corollas is sacrilege!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 05:15   #3
BHPian

Name:  wp1485285658107.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  29.6 KB

There are three people handling the jobs that Bernie did, although he was replaced by Chase Carey as Chairman and CEO of Formula 1.
Ross Brawn is ‘Managing Director of Motorsports’ and Sean Bratches is ‘Managing Director of Commercial Operations', two newly created roles within F1.
Carey probably will be the one who’ll handle the business side of the sport. Where as Brawn will probably handle the Technical and Sporting aspect of F1. Bratches on the other hand should be in charge of anything media and social media related, he has a big expertise in that field already. Mr Bratches built ESPN to the brand it now.
Will be interesting to see how they work together, amongst the three of them, when their field of expertise crossover to each others?
Bernie always believed F1 would only work if it was ruled by a dictator, due to the "too big" personalities involved in it.
However, these changes seems to be in line with the modern management practices. The teams themselves dont have a single leader anymore. Now there are three, four or five men working as a team.
Brawn may not be the one who’ll involve actively in TV deals or deals with GP promoters. That part will probably be for Chase and Bratches. One can expect him to be present at Strategy Group meetings, and involve in the technical and sporting aspects of the sport.

The big question will be what they really can achieve before the current Concorde agreement is over. Which will only be in 2020. Commercial contracts, money distribution and the decision process (like the Ferrari veto etc.) are regulated by the agreement until then. That's probably an area where others are looking at him to influence his past colleagues and peers.

Hopefully together they can pull it off, and make some serious changes to the sport before 2020. That will be their real achievement.

Last edited by jfxavier : 26th January 2017 at 05:17.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 08:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And we can count on Brawn to make the racing more interesting. I don't know how - refuelling, tyres...? Just can't think of a better man for this role .

Hope he also slowly & steadily makes the engines bigger. F1 having puny engines that sound like modified Toyota Corollas is sacrilege!
I am afraid the Engine regulations might be more stable than the Aero rules. The manufacturers will lobby heavily for that as they have already invested into the new tech. And I am sure that the effect of these efforts will trickle down to the road cars.
Brawn made it clear in his recent interview that it's the Aero vs Mechanical grip ratio that he is interested in tackling first.
In all probability, he will try to get rid of the DRS system if the cars are closer in performance at the start of the next season.

Quote:
"I'm not a great fan of DRS if I'm honest. It artificially solved a problem that we didn't want to tackle head on. It doesn't have the quality or merit of a full-on overtaking manoeuvre, the fact that you can press a button and get past almost means we never see those full-on [overtaking manoeuvres]. We don't know when something has been a really quality overtake because they are all button-induced now. There are other bits of the circuit where sometimes that happens and you think 'blimey, that's great' because you know it wasn't DRS and someone has dived up the inside of a corner or something."

"It is definitely a topic that I would like to engage everyone on and find a solution. That's pretty fundamental because it may involve the ratio between aerodynamics and mechanical grip. I've sat on both sides and aerodynamics are a very appealing element to car design. If you keep your wind tunnel programme going, the numbers keep ratcheting up and you know you are going to go faster if you get the numbers a bit higher. It's addictive.

"So, people are not going to want to give that up easily, but it may be an aspect that we are going to have to look at -- the ratio of aerodynamics and mechanical grip. Everybody has been saying the same thing for some time, but we have never bit the bullet."
The Overtaking Working Group that could not succeed in their objectives ultimately would be in the back of his mind, as he would want to gain more control of the changes that is to happen.

Quote:
"FOM's never had that capacity and has always had to take the opinions given to it by other parties.

"The FIA do a little bit of that, but what I would like to do is create a small group of people within FOM that have the experience and the knowledge to look at those problems and those challenges so that we have our own opinion on what could be the solution.

"We would work with the teams and the FIA of course, but we would also have some knowledge ourselves. I don't know how deep that will go because there are limitations on how much you can do."
http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...rove-f1-racing
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote