Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th June 2017, 17:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2017 MotoGP Thread

Has MotoGP lost some sheen due to the vast performance disparity amongst the various tyre compounds this year?

More than other riders, I see riders talking about how their tyres are the limiting factor.

And most victories are being decided by tyre strategy than hard racing.

Does anyone else feel this way?
ashwin.terminat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 21:58   #92
BHPian

Some of the best racing I have seen is in the last couple of years. For whatever reason, there is no certain winner and that makes for interesting viewing in my opinion
killjoy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 22:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Has MotoGP lost some sheen due to the vast performance disparity amongst the various tyre compounds this year?

More than other riders, I see riders talking about how their tyres are the limiting factor.

And most victories are being decided by tyre strategy than hard racing.

Does anyone else feel this way?
More than the tyres I think it's Dorna's spec software that has levelled things up a bit. Last year we saw like what 9 different winners? It certainly makes for interesting racing and the championship remains unpredictable throughout the season. Regarding tyres, the reason I feel most riders are talking about tyres recently is because the new michelins have a narrower optimal operating window compared to the earlier bridgestones. It was easier to get it right with them because of the wider margin and factory spec software. Now whichever team gets its right on that day does better than the rest. Here is where, as usual the factory teams trump the satellites and the rest because of their vast budget and manpower spending all of it trying to make the software work for them. Here though tech 3 Yamaha has been better than the rest doing better than the factory Yamaha in some races but that could be down to Zarco's incredible riding and the older Yam chassis suiting some tracks better than the newer stiffer chassis.
MonsterPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 16:28   #94
BHPian

Default The 2017 MotoGP Thread

Superb interview of Lorenzo on his move to Ducati and on motivation. Probably one of the best of his interviews I've come across.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/feat...e-lorenzo/amp/

My favourite part from the interview.

"To really be No.1 then you need to be obsessed. You must work hard. In soccer if you want to reach the top, like millions of other people, then just being motivated is not enough. You have to be obsessed to be the best, and do much more than all the players."

Last edited by badri : 14th June 2017 at 16:40.
badri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 23:18   #95
BHPian

History of Tech3 before Motogp era. Herve must be a proud man today.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 MotoGP Thread-img_1577.jpg  

MonsterPatrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 12:21   #96
BHPian

Is Rossi's title challenge over ? Nice article here : http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...challenge-over

Personally I would still want him to make it to 10 before he decides to hang up his boots (maybe post 2018 session) but looking at the twists in this season it looks un-likely. I hope i proved wrong though.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 16th June 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Added text
Abhi_abarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 14:57   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Is Rossi's title challenge over ? Nice article here : http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...challenge-over

Personally I would still want him to make it to 10 before he decides to hang up his boots (maybe post 2018 session) but looking at the twists in this season it looks un-likely. I hope i proved wrong though.

What do you guys think ?
Yamaha goes well at the rest of the remaining tracks so it's quite possible. And with 5 riders separated by just 29 points the championship is still wide open and might even go down to the last race at Valencia. However the key to VR's 10th title will be him beating Vinales consistently which he hasn't been able to do so far.

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 16th June 2017 at 14:59. Reason: Added text
Old 20th June 2017, 23:28   #98
BHPian

Interesting stat: Rossi has 83 pts after 7 races, his lowest score at this stage of the season in MotoGP era, except 2010, 11,12 injured & riding for Ducati.
Old 25th June 2017, 15:58   #99
BHPian

I have a strange feeling Zarco might just pull this off.
Old 25th June 2017, 17:16   #100
BHPian

Default The 2017 MotoGP Thread

Unbelievable race by Rossi! Assen always seems to be a favourite hunting ground for doctor and he was just brilliant today. With Vinales crashing out the championship is wide open. So far this is proving that to be one of the best MotoGP seasons I've seen till date! With the change in Chassis, we may be seeing change in Rossi's fortunes and this could well be his next shot at the 10th title. Kudos to man in second too. He almost pulled off a win and will be the man to watch along with Zarco

Last edited by badri : 25th June 2017 at 17:21.
badri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 19:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

And just like that, everybody is back in the reckoning!!
What a ride by the doctor. His rides have been so patchy recently that it was literally a case of it not being over till the obese lady sang!
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 21:28   #102
BHPian

VR's win after a long gap of 13 months couldn't have come at a more crucial time with Vin crashing. Brave brave ride, holding the lead even when it started spitting. 3 lucky saves. Zarco contact, drizzle and the Marshall error. If the Marshall wasn't a VR fan (LOL) we could've seen a repeat of the Assen 2015 last chicane. Bloody hell, Petrux was really really close at the line being the strongest in the final sector the whole race.

If Zarco hadn't gambled with the swap he too could've been in it for the win surely as the track temp kept dropping and him running Soft/soft. This is where VR's masterclass was shown through. Kept the heat in the hard rear even when the track started cooling. Don't really understand Zarco's gamble though, if he was running 15th it was understandable but he was running with the front pack with a podium contention. He had the most experienced wet racer in the front as a marker and if VR stayed and gambled you better follow him for there is no other rider in the world with better sense of changing conditions and riding instinct. He should've just waited for VR or MM to dive in, not like his pace was really bad to take such a big gamble.

The irony in racing. Ducati spends over 12 million euros to get a championship winning rider on board but it's their no.2 rider who they weren't so keen about keeping until Arg 2016, who hadn't won a single dry race until now wins two in a row and leads the championship. Dovi's experience and calm head might just win him the title.

Lorenzo's past record at Assen is not at all great but today was a new low. That said, don't think any rider in his position would've had the heart to jump from a championship winning bike on which he rode for 9 years and won 3 titles and was offered a pay higher than before. But he won't be regretting his move, he knew Ducati would be a big challenge and he still took it. Massive respect. Keep fighting Champ.

With VIN crashing the whole championship has been blown wide open. Now with the rider with the least DNFs will most surely win the title. Now who will that be? With the heart in mouth racing we are seeing these days you just cannot predict who's going to go down next. Both VR and MM came very close to crashing today. Even Dovi had a close shave with Vin. Lucky Lucky guy Vinales. It's funny how a MotoGP race has to be rescheduled due to F1. Do people still watch the 2 hour parade on robotic machines with all its nonsensical KERS and what not?

Last edited by MonsterPatrol : 25th June 2017 at 21:45.
MonsterPatrol is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 20:14   #103
BHPian

Superb piece by Mat Oxley on Rossi's Assen victory.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...ost-speechless
badri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:45   #104
BHPian

MotoGP heads Germany today. Marc Marquez is on pole with Dani Petrucci and Dani Pedrosa in the front row.

Please note that the telecast today is on SONY ESPN channel only.
five46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017, 21:13   #105
BHPian

WHAT A SEASON. 10 points. 4 riders. 9 to go.