Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 12th June 2017, 11:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: F1: The 2017 Canadian GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Aah, a pretty okay race. Vettel just kind of sneaked up from 18 to 4, and made only the last 8 laps or so interesting. I felt Max was at fault early on for trying that manoeuvre. If Vettel hadn't slowed down and had followed the line and tried to keep up with Bottas, both of them would've crashed. Max literally clipped Vettel's wings in this one
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:16   #17
BHPian

I did not watch the race but highlights show a decent recording of the race on youtube.

What I saw was the "let us race....please" from Perez. While I appreciate the comment from Perez, and while many of you will disagree, I think Perez should have allowed Ocon to pass him and maybe there was a podium or atleast a 4th place as I think from the highlights, Ocon was in a much better position to hold off Vettel.

But what a drive by Vettel - 18th to 4th. That guy is amazing. Congratulations to Hamilton - great achievement. Sad to see Bottas go.

Lets see what Baku has in store!

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2017 at 12:18. Reason: Typos
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2017, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Since I was traveling I missed the whole race, was Perez part of not letting Ocon overtake him fair? he is being bit aggressive of late, flaunting his resume to bigger teams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
What I saw was the "let us race....please" from Perez. While I appreciate the comment from Perez, and while many of you will disagree, I think Perez should have allowed Ocon to pass him and maybe there was a podium or atleast a 4th place as I think from the highlights, Ocon was in a much better position to hold off Vettel.
Perez is a good driver no doubt about that. The purist in me says "no team orders please" but at then end of the day F1 is a team sport and given certain situations drivers have to take one for the team if they are not upto the task of getting what the team wants done.

Ocon on Sunday was better than Perez. Letting him through would have allowed Force India to take the fight to Red Bull which is the next logical step. But refusing to give way, Perez denied the team (not Ocon) this opportunity. and he did not challenge Red Bull either. But again in F1 your biggest rival is your team mate.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 16:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any race where there are incidents leading to Safety Car (real or otherwise) at the beginning is mostly spoilt. The pit stops taken to take advantage of the unscheduled event spoils the race.
Absolutely agree with you on that, Sir. Especially the first few races with early safety cars; the pitstops dictated the results. But even without safety cars, the results are still mostly dependent on the pit strategy which is really unfortunate.

I think tyres and developmental spending by the big teams are the biggest concerns for the sport right now. Tyres dictate the results, and the races are mostly being contested only among the top 3 teams. Over the last few years we've seen Lewis make the same kind of comeback from the end of the grid, like Vettel did. And that's purely down to performance disparity due to lack of budgets for the smaller teams.
Porcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 09:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@Vid6639; What happened at the start for Vettel to drop off. He was No.2 on the Grid, first row! I was too sleepy and missed some juicy bits.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 11:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

I found this hilarious - from http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3...rs-and-losers/

Quote:
It is difficult to know which orange entity is having a worse 2017: McLaren or Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Vid6639; What happened at the start for Vettel to drop off. He was No.2 on the Grid, first row! I was too sleepy and missed some juicy bits.
He got a good start but moved to defend against Bottas, leaving enough space for Verstappen to go through at turn 1 and in the process damage his front wing. I guess they couldn't check data till the race restarted after the SC period & he had to pit to change the front wing (took new super-softs), dropping him to 18th & last.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 06:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Vettel' great recovery. Again, Ferrari wasn't decisive with a call to the pits after Max took out the front wing, else it would have been a podium.

And Kimi referring to his time machine.

deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 08:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

The damage on Vettel's car was not just the front wing, but the complete barge board and part of the floor on right side of the car was completely missing. That was quite a recovery from Vettel, that pass on Ocon was crazy

F1: The 2017 Canadian GP - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve-ws9q49e.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/Gianludale27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Vettel' great recovery. Again, Ferrari wasn't decisive with a call to the pits after Max took out the front wing, else it would have been a podium.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 12:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The damage on Vettel's car was not just the front wing, but the complete barge board and part of the floor on right side of the car was completely missing. That was quite a recovery from Vettel, that pass on Ocon was crazy

Attachment 1648198

Source: https://twitter.com/Gianludale27
The pic from Motorsport.com shows the bargeboard intact while pitting for the new wing.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/photo/...13182638&i=137

Great drive nevertheless.

Last edited by Hatari : 14th June 2017 at 12:37.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

The damage happened after the pitstop, Vettel was complaining about some parts falling off the car right after the wing change. Not sure when/how this damage was picked up on the car.

Even Kimi's car had broken floor after his brief off track ride that let Perez past him during the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
The pic from Motorsport.com...
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote