Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 28th December 2006, 21:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Dakar Rally 2007

The famous Dakar rally is going to start in a weeks time..a lot has been going on in the build up to the start of the rally...it seems the routes have changed due to security reasons for the second time in a week...Seems this year is going to be a 7 way fight in the cars category.Start date for the rally is jan06.

Last edited by danlalan : 28th December 2006 at 21:44.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

On which TV channel will they broadcast the rally??
PS: Sideways, Are u driving??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 23:43   #3
BHPian

[quote=nitrous;344953]On which TV channel will they broadcast the rally??

star sports will be telecasting this time too but might be half hour only...I hope nobody gets killed this time...there has been three deats in last two years..
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 00:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

star sports..but its only a review of the days stage...sideways..eerrr...iam sure he has considered it..havent you...????
Old 31st December 2006, 13:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

3rd and 4th January 2007 Administrative checks and scrutineering 5th January 2007 AM Administrative checks and scrutineering 5th January 2007 PM Briefing Assistance 5th January 2007 evening Competitors Briefing From 6th to 20th January 2007 Crossing of Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania,
Mali and Senegal 21st January 2007 Finish – Prize giving – Evening party

Euromilhões Lisboa Dakar: 2007 Edition > List of entrants

Last edited by danlalan : 31st December 2006 at 13:06.
Old 31st December 2006, 15:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

In the past few yeas, I have noticed, it is not called PARIS DAKAR rally.... why is that ??

Why has Paris been removed from the route ?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 12:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

STAGE 1

Carlos Sousa and Ruben Faria provided double delight for Portugal as unlikely stage victories put them at the top of the Dakar leaderboards in the car and bike sections at the end of the opening day of the event.
Cars - Volkswagen whitewash
Local driver Sousa, 40, whose best Dakar performance came with fourth place in 2003, led a five-car lock-out by Volkswagen, but what was remarkable was that he beat all four works Touaregs in the process, completing the stage in 1:20:38.
Sousa said: "It is thanks to the public that I gained the time, so I dedicate the stage to them.
"Really, on this kind of stage you should not go crazy, because you can lose everything. But I am really impressed actually. Thanks to all my supporters."
South African Giniel de Villiers was second quickest, 2:31 behind Sousa, with Carlos Sainz and Ari Vatanen both equal on time, seven seconds further back and American Mark Miller fifth as the crews negotiated the 464km section (117 km of which was timed) from Lisbon to Portimao.
Frenchman Guerlain Chicherit was sixth quickest in his X-Raid BMW, impressively ahead of all four works Mitsubishis.
He could even have won the stage had he not stopped for ten minutes to help team-mate Jutta Kleinschmdit - who lost half an hour with an electrical problem mid-way through the stage.
Spain's Nani Roma was the best Mitsubishi performer in seventh - ten places ahead of 2006 winner Luc Alphand.

AND ofcourse my favourite..Masuoka is in 10th place at the moment.
Old 9th January 2007, 23:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jean-Louis Schlesser won day four but after another solid showing, finishing the stage in third position, Carlos Sainz remains the man to be beaten. In the bikes, Marc Coma finished the day fastest to top the table as the day drew to a close in Ouarzazate.

Tragedy has struck the Dakar Rally after South African motorcyclist Elmer Symons died following an accident. The 29-year-old KTM rider crashed 140km into stage four, and was pronounced dead at the scene after medical assistance was flown in.

Eurosport - The best of sport live: football, tennis, motorsports, rugby, athletics, cycling, basketball.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
In the past few yeas, I have noticed, it is not called PARIS DAKAR rally.... why is that ??

Why has Paris been removed from the route ?
hehe....guys, my question still stands. Can someone clear my confusion.

Otherwise I guess, I will go to wiki and search on my own
Old 10th January 2007, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post
hehe....guys, my question still stands. Can someone clear my confusion.
Simple Nikhil because the rally no longer starts in Paris! It starts in Lisboa, Portugal & is hence called the Lisboa-Dakar rally! Check out dan's first post!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 01:18   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Simple Nikhil because the rally no longer starts in Paris! It starts in Lisboa, Portugal & is hence called the Lisboa-Dakar rally! Check out dan's first post!
VERY SMART BOY ..... 1 bottle of whisky for you on me !!! Any idea why they don't start it from Paris anymore

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

arrey

I know that !!

But I want to know they dont start from Paris anymore.... I mean, was there some sort of problem ??
Old 11th January 2007, 09:48   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Any idea why they don't start it from Paris anymore

Cheers
Maybe even the Rallyist's cant stand the French!!!!
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Here's what wikipedia has to say on the subject:

Originally, the rally was from Paris, France to Dakar, Senegal, interrupted by a transfer across the Mediterranean; however due to politics and other factors, the course, including origin and destination, have varied over the years. Dakar has been the destination city on all but four occasions. The rally began at Paris each year until 1995. The previous year, the rally both began and ended in Paris, but due to complaints by the mayor, the finish had to be moved from the Champs-Élysées to Euro Disney. This also caused the organisation to lay out the rally through different locations in following years.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 01:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

STAGE 7 OF 15

Giniel De Villiers now heads the 2007 Dakar Rally in the cars section after coming home nearly five minutes ahead of previous leader Carlos Sainz on stage 7, who finished third behind Stephane Peterhansel.
The result puts him one minute and 39 seconds ahead of Sainz in the overall standings.
Peterhansel's drive was perhaps the best by a Mitsubishi pilot in this year's Dakar on a fast day's racing, especially given the poor weather conditions. Indeed, the other drivers from the team also showed signs of improvement.
Behind Sainz came Hiroshi Masuoka, while Stephane Alphand was fourth at checkpoint one, but ended the stage in sixth. Nasser Saleh Al Attiyah of BMW ended fifth.
American hero Robby Gordon, winner on Thursday, came back in 13th place, which leaves him 15th overall.
Jean-Louis Schlesser suffered problems and so came ninth, 46 minutes behind the winner.
The stage, from Zouérat to Atâr, was cut short due to safety concerns as sandstorms ripped through the final part of the course.
In perhaps the biggest story of the day apart from De Villiers' triumph, Carlos Sousa - in third place before the day's racing - reportedly left his co-pilot Andreas Schulz behind after becoming stuck in a sand dune.
The Portuguese privateer claims that he lost Schulz due to the weather. He later waited for him further down the course and they rolled on towards Atar, having lost a great deal of time.
Ari Vatenen, 11th at the first checkpoint, was forced to abandon his VW with over 50 km to go after the engine caught fire.
The competitors that finish the special will drive on to Atar on tarmac.

Euromilhões Lisboa - Dakar: page d’accueil