Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 23rd October 2007, 02:08   #106
BHPian

Talking

so we have vithal and ralf then eh
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 07:05   #107
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oh dear, this naming hasn't gone down too well with the "in" crowd of F1. Racists.

Force India F1 is Born

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2007 at 09:40. Reason: Explitives removed
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Oh dear, this naming hasn't gone down too well with the "in" crowd of F1. Racists.

Force India F1 is Born
Its not to do with racism, really. A lot of fans out there were supporters of the independents, and the (ex) Jordan outfit was one of them. With the over-the-top India angle, they cannot really associate with it. Would you really be able to support, say, McLaren, if the team were bought over by someone from, say, China, and named "Chinese Might" or some such ? Its embarrassing, really.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2007 at 09:41. Reason: original post edited
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
force motors will get a lot of publicity... people are bound to thing that they are are sponsoring the team.
That sprang to my mind too. Force motors could now seriously start thinking of a sedan.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 09:43   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Would you really be able to support, say, McLaren, if the team were bought over by someone from, say, China, and named "Chinese Might" or some such ? Its embarrassing, really.
Well put, and definitely a more international (non-indiacentric) way of looking at it.

On one hand they would have an instant increase of 1.1bn supporters, but quite frankly only <0.1% of them would actually follow the sport.

But then again, isnt all the "country teams" stuff what A1 is about ?

cya
R

More food for thought.... a very valid point i noticed when browsing through that link >
Quote:
With that name they had better have at least one Indian driver next season or it's going to look a bit ridiculous.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd October 2007 at 09:46.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 15:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... but I certainly would not want to why dissect the name of our country is in there. Its a matter of pride for us as Indians ...
now- this has been bothering me for a very very long time (it has nothing to do with the persons associated or persons quoted, and this is a personal opinion)... why is it as a society we take credit? Bobby Jindal wins, India rejoices. The entire family "migrated" (that means relinquished one's citizenship) to the US 40 years ago. 40, thats just after we became a democracy.

Its a sport, and the sport brings nothing to the country, its not like the olympics. like its been pointed out, stoking the nationalistic pride will bring about a larger viewership, yes, and I just hope that this will bring more eyes towards motorsports and away from cricket.

Personally, I think he should name it kingfisher something or what ever he wants, EXCEPT the countries name.

Has anyone given thought that the F1 with the flag could also be prep for India hosting the F1 and its logo?

Last edited by madan80 : 24th October 2007 at 15:16. Reason: added disclaimer - this is my personal opinion.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 16:46   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I think he should name it kingfisher something or what ever he wants, EXCEPT the countries name
Not too sure what is happening here. If the team performs well, won't we be proud of it? Just because we're apprehensive about its performance, we should not point fingers. Mallya has done a great job and we should appreciate it.

Even if we leave India out of the name, the entire world (In the F1 scene) knows that it is from India. Why not be proud of both success and failure? Afterall, it is just a sport. There is not humiliation in losing, if the team performs bad.

And, I don't like the name myself, but I am not against it. I think it is time we encourage big brave ventures like this from fellow Indians rather than pick a flaw here and there. Personally, I think we should have a Sanskrit name. Atleast that way, these people won't understand it and make fun of the name. They think 'Force' is cheesy. Doesn't "Lucky strike" sound cheesy for a cigarette company or on a F1 car?

P.S: No offence meant to anyone.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 18:56   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Doesn't "Lucky strike" sound cheesy for a cigarette company or on a F1 car?
Yes. Very. Cigarette company, or any other. Cheesy PLUS India's name - a little sad...
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:03   #114
Team-BHP Support

He could have just named it Mallya F1. McLaren, Williams, Ferrari - all are surnames. Simple.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 19:13   #115
BHPian

Smile

yeah Mallya F1 makes sense - but keep in mind that ferrari and mclaren are famous and known automotive brand names, mallya is not
Old 25th October 2007, 19:32   #116
BHPian

most appropiate name would have been..... Vijay India F1.....that make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yeah Mallya F1 makes sense - but keep in mind that ferrari and mclaren are famous and known automotive brand names, mallya is not
but not a famous name when they started the team...

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2007 at 09:06.
route666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 23:56   #117
BHPian

Talking

correct ferrari and mclaren proved themselves on the track and then made road super cars. Imagine sometime in the future mallya is a successful f1 team and then makes a mallya supercar which people drool to buy and to top it all it is affordable as high end premium car in india (25 lacs) but its beyond the reach of the common man in the western world and people there lust for a mallya like we lust for a ferrari or lambo man how the tables are going to turn someday.
All this is possible if they rename team to MAllya F1, however as of now vijay malya is giving it on a platter to force motors and it seems the supercar will be made someday by force motors

Last edited by jassi : 25th October 2007 at 23:59.
Old 26th October 2007, 13:24   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the team performs well, won't we be proud of it? Just because we're apprehensive about its performance, we should not point fingers. Mallya has done a great job and we should appreciate it.
I am proud of the fact that mallaya has bought an F1 team, My ONLy bone of contention is why name it after the country? If GoI had bought it, yes, then it makes sense because its Tax payers' money! Personally, I dont care how the team performs, yes, it will be nice if they win, but if they loose, its a learning experience. the point is was or is there any team that is named after a country? why bring the country into it- other than for marketing purposes? Its like Toyota saying - Toyota Japan, and the super Aguri Honda calling themselves Japan Force.

Anyways, lets see how the 2008 season goes!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 13:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Come on. Mallya is just a proud Indian and wants everyone to know about it.

For a tobacco name, it could have been "Ganesh Beedi F1"
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 13:43   #120
BHPian

force INDIA it is what on earth can we do but expect a good season...
and afterall WHATS IN THE NAME!!

do we see a possibility of Karun Chandok coming in??
i dont think he will hire Narain he is waay to old!
tidzter is offline   Reply With Quote