Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: What should Ferrari have done.
Ferrari should have got their 2005 cars right from the first race 7 63.64%
I think the 2004 cars still have a chance 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2005, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Have Ferrari been over optimistic about their 2004 car?

While most of the other teams brought in their newer cars, Ferrari thought their 2004 championship winning steeds had enuf punch to match the other 2005 cars. They couln't have been more wrong.

Ferrari's pace so far, has been pathetic. They were struggling to keep up with the Red Bull cars and got lapped by a Toyota. LOL

I always believed that a lot could change in a season but, this is too good to be true. But hey, i'm liking it the way it is now. Had enuf of Red last year, why not make the front row a bit more colourful this season.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th March 2005 at 17:14.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 17:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yeah its a nice change from the dominance of the ferraris.
Its pretty obvious the older ferraris are not competitive this season. They should bring the 2005 cars as soon as possible.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why not, indeed? And see some younger faces on the podium too!! Alonso and Trulli - way to go!

The Toyotas had strong engines from year 1, if you remember. They were right up there with BMW in the top speed stakes - they just had duds for drivers since they probably thought it wasnt worth paying so much cash for top drivers when the cars were still evolving.

I havent followed the Malaysian GP, but would you know how much of a difference there was between Qualifying positions and Race Results?

I had started making an excelsheet sometime ago, putting qualifying position and race result to work out the net differential. If one of them had a DNF, I would adjust the results by substracting one position from those behind him in qualifying and so forth.

The results were quite interesting - they might as well have sent people to the podium from qualifying, which would've saved many of the smaller teams millions of dollars by not bothering to race. In fact, they could've given drivers the option of sitting out the race, wherein they would only lose their qualifying positions if the guy behind them was able to overtake the guy ahead of them !

I've misplaced that file - dyou know where I can pick up all qualifying and race positions for the last 3 years from?

Cheers

Steer
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 17:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Everything has a reason behind it.

I don't think "Ferrari thought their 2004 championship winning steeds had enuf punch to match the other 2005 cars". No competitor would take such risks for such a stupid thought like that.

There has to be a reason behind it. It maybe that they wanted to develop the new car to an extent where it would be very competitive in this year's season.

and the poll has very less options. The options should've been
  • Ferrari should have got their 2005 cars right from the first race
  • The 2004 don't stand a chance but the 2005 cars will be great
  • I think the 2004 cars still have a chance
  • Both 2004 and 2005 don't stand any chance

Last edited by Gordon : 20th March 2005 at 17:58.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 18:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari have been on the back foot for the start of this season something like it was in 2003 where they didnt have a single win in the fly away 3 races and like this year Schumi had a DNF in Brazil that time which has happened already this season.
But of course they started winning once the new car was introduced.

It was a close season in 2003 with the title going to the wire. I expect this to happen this time around too but we should see some red wins again from Bahrain most probably.

Dippy
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 18:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

After seeing these two races , I'm waiting to see the good old days of Ferrari winning almost every second race!
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

to begin with.. the results show that they have been over-optimistic about the F2004..
in their defence, it is a very reliable car and was very quick last yr
it probably doesnt get with the new regulations

i thoroughly enjoyed the race.. a very strong drive from Jarno... good to see
quite a few battle too.. Ralf-Webber-Heidfeld & Fisi was the most prominent of the lot

interesting thing however, both alonso's & heidfeld's cars lasted race distance with no problems.. except that both their drink bottles had a problem and they cudnt get any fluid for a major part of the race !
complex engineering survived.. but not a drinks bottle ! hehe

michelin do have the upper hand in the tyre war..
ferrari & bridgestone have a lot of catching up to do
lets see how the F2005 test at mugello goes
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 14:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I've misplaced that file - dyou know where I can pick up all qualifying and race positions for the last 3 years from?

Cheers

Steer
hey steeroid try -> www.autosport.com
cheers,
Rai
raihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 18:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Had enuf of Red last year, why not make the front row a bit more colourful this season.

Shan2nu
hoping for the yellows
puthari is offline   Reply With Quote