Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 5th November 2008, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Default Alonso and Piquet renew their contracts until 2010

Renault has confirmed their driver lineup until 2010.

Also for next season,the engine has to last 3 races instead of the 2 races we have now.

The Official Formula 1 Website
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 22:32   #2
BHPian

Well that puts the end to the speculation or whatever Alonso was creating about where he will end up.

I expect more ferrari engines to blow up

Last edited by Aditya : 6th November 2008 at 17:51. Reason: Thread renamed
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 22:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Best option for Alonso considering that Renault is on the upswing and it will take time for him to gel with an all new team.

Piquet Jr needs to up his game. The deal is a breather for him.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Honestly, where else was he going to go? Certainly not back to the champs McLaren nor to Ferrari who don't have place for him. More importantly he has to find a team that will put him up on a pedestal and worship the ground he walks on. Poor Piquet jr. gets short-changed thanks to this man. I'd love to know how different the equipment is for the 2 of them.
kartikkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:19   #5
BHPian

This move was well-expected with Renaults recent show of pace. Amazing what a champions presence can do to a teams motivation levels....I am sure Alonsos presence also got the team a lot more moolah for development too. Further to what Kartik stated, the big boys didn't have any seats available. Where else could he have gone? Renault is a team where Fonso enjoys a comfort level (and one that cope up with his tantrums).

Question is : Why exactly did they retain piquet after such a horrendous performance this season?
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Poor Piquet jr. gets short-changed thanks to this man. I'd love to know how different the equipment is for the 2 of them.
I guess you have inside information on that, since you're saying it with such authority. Or is this another sweeping statement?

What exactly has Piquet done the entire season even when he has had the opportunity? The one good thing about Alonso is the technical advantage that he brings to any team he drives for - by way of driver feedback etc. Renault is where they are today because of him.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 18:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Question is : Why exactly did they retain piquet after such
a horrendous performance this season?
I think there was no name in GP2 circle that created ripples in F1 paddocks.
So Briatore might have considered giving another chance to Piquet Jr.

Seems,Alonso has Ferrari firmly in his sights.He has signed until end of 2010,when there will be 2 vacant seats at Ferrari (Unless Ferrari decide to extend the contracts of Kimi & Massa)
Old 6th November 2008, 18:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I remember the start of Alonso and Fisichella at Canada in 2005.
The Renaults were so quick off the line.It looked like the Ferraris didn't start at all.
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 18:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I remember the start of Alonso and Fisichella at Canada in 2005.
The Renaults were so quick off the line.It looked like the Ferraris didn't start at all.
+1 to that.
Not just that race,all thorough 2005 \ 2006,they had a perfect start.I guess they had the best launching system amongst the paddock
Old 13th November 2008, 22:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Question is : Why exactly did they retain piquet after such a horrendous performance this season?
There are rumours that Piquet Jr was retained at the behest of Alonso. Alonso didnt want someone new to come to Renault and challenge him like what Hamilton did to him at Mclaren. Hence Piquet was retained
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 23:28   #11
BANNED

Mods: Can we keep these discussions merged with F1 2009 discussions thread.

It becomes easy to keep track of all F1 discussions.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 23:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I guess you have inside information on that, since you're saying it with such authority. Or is this another sweeping statement?

What exactly has Piquet done the entire season even when he has had the opportunity? The one good thing about Alonso is the technical advantage that he brings to any team he drives for - by way of driver feedback etc. Renault is where they are today because of him.
Jeez man, relax. I only said it in a lighter vein because he is in the same team as Alonso, who we all know wants to be put on a pedastal. He isn't the type of driver that wants or appreciates competition from within his own team and that could mean the second driver ends up getting a raw deal. Can I prove this? NO. But you seem to suggest that I can't even theorise or make statements that have no basis in well establshed fact. I am sorry for having made a sweeping statement that everyone relied on and believed to be true! Lighten up!

By the way since you ask me if I have inside information in making my statement, let me put that question to you and ask you what information you have to disprove what I said? I shall stand down then and accept I was wrong in making that "oh so improper" sweeping statement.
kartikkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 23:41   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Jeez man, relax. I only said it in a lighter vein because he is in the same team as Alonso, who we all know wants to be put on a pedastal. He isn't the type of driver that wants or appreciates competition from within his own team and that could mean the second driver ends up getting a raw deal. Can I prove this? NO. But you seem to suggest that I can't even theorise or make statements that have no basis in well establshed fact. I am sorry for having made a sweeping statement that everyone relied on and believed to be true! Lighten up!

By the way since you ask me if I have inside information in making my statement, let me put that question to you and ask you what information you have to disprove what I said? I shall stand down then and accept I was wrong in making that "oh so improper" sweeping statement.
Guys, We're grown ups, lets not clarify and reclarify statements made.

But since biasing views in teams are raked up. I only see

1) Ferrari treating both drivers equal.
2) Mclaren only favouring Lewis
3) BMW treats equal
4) Renault they are grooming Piquet jr, non biased
Others have no choices since beggers cant be choosers

MODS: PLS MERGE THIS THREAD WITH F1 2009 DISCUSSIONS
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 12:58   #14
BHPian

Default Not F1 2009, rather F1 2010 developments

Well, I just read on pitpass website (article here: pitpass - the latest, hottest F1, GP2, GP2 Asia & A1GP news) that Santander has signed a sponsorship deal with Ferrari starting in 2010. Remember Santander is a Spanish bank and Alonso was the reason that they had signed up with Maclaren earlier.

This certainly lends to speculation that Alonso might be sporting red overalls in 2010 which personally for me is .
elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote