Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 15th November 2008, 00:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Just your year of birth 86 or earlier to view the site. Why does mumbai have all the fun.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 21:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My father is on the board of WIAA, hence i got four passes. The ML might even be the safety car for the day Michael schume.
Wow I knew your ML is special but this is taking it to a whole new level man.
I would'nt mind driving the safety car you know nah.
After all MSC was almost always ahead of Mika.

Last edited by michael schume : 20th November 2008 at 21:11.
michael schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 22:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I should be getting four VIP passes too!!! Catch you there speedy!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 23:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael schume View Post
Wow I knew your ML is special but this is taking it to a whole new level man.
I would'nt mind driving the safety car you know nah.
After all MSC was almost always ahead of Mika.
Haha, I agree i would be in a Ferrari T-shirt in a all Mercedes lineup. The ML is not special, its just a car Michael Schume. My brother is not allowing me to do the same, He is driveing, but i have other plans. Simo Lampinon ( hope i spelt his name right) is going to drive the car and my brother does not know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I should be getting four VIP passes too!!! Catch you there speedy!
I shall see you there. I hope you have the all access pass, as i would be mostly on the track. That is if my brother does not boss me out of there.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 23:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Mika Hakkinen Double World Formula1 champion will be taking to the streets of mumbai in a Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes F1 car on the 30th of November for the Launch of Johnnie Walker’s Responsible drinking campaign.

Ive heard he'll be there at Bandra Reclaimation. Anyone have any more news on this..??

So what's the big deal about Mika Hakki-whatever from Finland (wherever that is). Finland is a frozen armpit of a country with a total population less than that of Banglore.

Why don't we get a good Indian driver for F1 in Mumbai? I am sure that in a country of 1 Billion people, there must be a driver good enough for F1.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 23:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmm340
So what's the big deal about Mika Hakki-whatever from Finland (wherever that is). Finland is a frozen armpit of a country with a total population less than that of Banglore
Perfect timing.
Let me help you take your words back,Gaurav.

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 00:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
So what's the big deal about Mika Hakki-whatever from Finland (wherever that is). Finland is a frozen armpit of a country with a total population less than that of Banglore.

Why don't we get a good Indian driver for F1 in Mumbai? I am sure that in a country of 1 Billion people, there must be a driver good enough for F1.
Well, some time back, Narain Karthikeyan was going to drive a Jordan F1 car on Marine Drive. We, Mumbaikars were eagerly awaiting the event. Nothing happened.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 00:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

RIGHT! And who would want to go watch this INDIAN F1 Driver at Reclimation...??? YOU???

So whats the BIG DEAL you ask..?? You obviously dont watch F1 do you..??

This Frozen Armpit of a country with a total population less than that of Banglore has better F1 drivers than the whole of INDIA!!!
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 01:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.....I am sure that in a country of 1 Billion people, there must be a driver good enough for F1.
Well, realistically, how many of those 1billion have driven a car? or for that matter, even been in a car.

I guess nitrous's "video response" was indeed very apt / good timing - provided a nice insight into the finland deal.

Back to the topic :

Arrrgh. I'm out of town on the 30th.
Is there any chance of a warm up / practice session etc on the day before?
(similar to delhi with the ING Renault : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...l-s-diary.html)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 02:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To answer your question technically, yes we do. Both Narian and Karun have tested/raced F1 cars but unfortunately are not affiliated to McLaren. Also, there are at least 1/2 dozen others who are racing at international open wheel events and can easily and safely drive it.

Having a ex-F1 driver like Mika just adds to the glamour, nothing else. Plus ours is a country obsessed with phoren maal and phoren drivers.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 06:30   #26
BHPian

The event should be fun; and thank God its in mumbai even though we have the worst roads for a metro. Hope to see all Bhp-ians from all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
To answer your question technically, yes we do. Both Narian and Karun have tested/raced F1 cars but unfortunately are not affiliated to McLaren. Also, there are at least 1/2 dozen others who are racing at international open wheel events and can easily and safely drive it.

Having a ex-F1 driver like Mika just adds to the glamour, nothing else. Plus ours is a country obsessed with phoren maal and phoren drivers.
O.T.:I agree with you totally. Talent comes out with the right resources available at cheap prices alongwith enough exposure and practice. Im sure that if there were clubs here who shortlisted our youth at the age of 8 and trained them with all of the above we would have our very own Loeb, Schumacher or Hakkinen.
Just my 2 cents. Respect
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 11:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

You are 100% correct.

Motorsport in general is very expensive, and F1 is very expensive for a motorsport, which is the only reason that Indians have not yet made significant inroads. This will change over time, just like golf, tennis, etc..

Personally I never really connected with F1. It is just too european for my tastes. The cars are so specialized and have so little relation to street cars. The cars, support crews and drivers are all european.

But I guess if the F1 teams can come to India and make money on ticket sales they are smart guys.

@Nitrous: I really wonder what would happen if we put Hakkinen behind the wheel of a Chevy Tavera and pitted him against a dozen call center drivers going from Delhi to Gurgaon. You really think he would win?
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 11:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

F1 roots back to 50s when Ferrari,Porsche started making Engines for racing cars and this was the European Genesis.Gradually all the drivers were attracted from Continental Europe,South Africa,Australia but not America strangely.Tracks started to be built slowly in Great Britain,France,Italy and racing spirit developed gradually.
By Mid 60s,there were many engine makers and good drives like Jack Brabham,Jackie Stewart,James Hunt,Graham Hill who were spirited drivers.F1 was becoming more of life style.each driver had their own Piper club Aeroplanes (Sadly Graham Hill died piloting his own aircraft on a gold course in England).70s so the establishment of Mclaren and Williams teams and then legends began to be produced like Nikki Lauda,Gilles Villeneuve..bit suffering taragic accidents (Gilles was killed in a practice session and Nikki Lauda was burnt in a flaming car for 5 minutes,which destroyed his face and scalp..for the same reason he is seen wearing a cap always).Fierce battles again were seen from European driver Alain Prost and Latin Legend Ayrton Senna.Finally world was deprived on Senna when he crashed in Imola on 1994 robbinf away a great but tempermental driver.Then began the onsluaght of Michael Schumacher who battled wiht Damon Hill , Hakkinen,Jacques Villeneuve and later with Alonso to gain his 7 titles.So all this was a european show and hence F1 remains predominetly European with Great Britain treated as the Spiritual home of F1.
Personally I hate Indycar and Nascar as they jsut spin over ovals.F1 is much different and each track is a different challenge.
India would definitly host an F1 as there are 6 races in Asia..I look forward for that and F1 will connect with India though it is European.
Mika's drive for Vodafone Mercedes is a lovely sight to watch and reminisice those Mercedes Benz ads in 1998-99 saying "Watch Mika Hakkinen" and he won the WDC back to back.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 12:46   #29
BHPian

just took an e-ticket. Sr. no 15362. 15000 people already? its gonna be packed for sure!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 13:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

They must have started numbering from 5000 or 10,000. It's a common practice for conference organizers, cricket match tickets, etc to number their passes from the middle to create an illusion as to more number of people attending.

But if it's 15000+ then its gonna be a traffic nightmare!

Car-pooling anyone from south mumbai?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote