Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th October 2009, 12:02   #31
BHPian

Default Track day & autoX - M3 / Cayman S

Short little video I put together of some track events earlier on this year. Track is Texas World Speedway.

idnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:39   #32
Team-BHP Support

Man that spin at the end came out of nowhere!! Shows how on-the-limit the car was.

Any damage to the car?

Also - are the drivers ahead of you signaling for you to pass?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 21:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Man that spin at the end came out of nowhere!! Shows how on-the-limit the car was.

Any damage to the car?

Also - are the drivers ahead of you signaling for you to pass?

cya
R
Yes that really caught me out of nowhere and was somewhat scary. Entry speed at that corner was 90mph and the slide was sideways on a downhill incline. Only later did I realize that the stock PS2's had gotten mushy, soft and HOT from those hard laps and were a little over inflated as a result. You can somewhat feel the rear end skip a little before it slaps around. That turn is also a little off camber, downhill and the car was a tad over the limit for those conditions.

Anyway l diddn't hit anything (like the tire walls on that corner) so thats good! No damage and only a little grass in the beads of the tires. Even with race tires and race pads, I felt this wasn't the car for such hard track use (loaded sedan). Perhaps a 'competition' version of the DCT coupe in the future if it ever comes out. For now, the 987 Cayman S is doing a great job, will post a video.

Last edited by idnani : 13th October 2009 at 21:13.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:34   #34
BHPian

Some footage from the hood cam of the Cayman S. Can see the race lines a little better. Looks slow from that height however the car is pretty much at the limit in some of those corners! Stock Cayman S (short of the Borla exhaust) gave some good drivers in 911's a run for their money! That red 996 C4S had a full race exhaust (sounds sick).

Last edited by idnani : 17th October 2009 at 12:36.
Old 22nd February 2013, 00:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnani View Post
I take back my comment on the brakes. While I did not notice any fade with the stock brakes, the stock pads are too soft and conservative. They are designed to work when cold too (for the street) which is why they dont do well after some hard usage on the track. I ended up warping the front rotors as the stock pads melt and then 'bake' themselves on the rotors, leaving hotspots. Learnt this the hard way I guess.

I am now running Pagid RS19 track pads until I get a big brake kit with race tires (r-compounds). So in short, DONT use stock pads on the track if you intend to run some hard laps...
Ran my car at BIC a couple of weeks ago and completely destroyed a set of Pagid RS19 front brake pads. I think the temperatures went too high and the resulting wear cooked the pads down to nothing very early on day two, which sorta ruined the day for me.

I was only running 6-7 lap stints on day 1, but even that MIGHT have been a couple laps too many for an E92 M3 with stock brake cooling. I think I'm gonna get the GT4 brake ducts for my next stint to BIC and possibly a BBK. Drove a couple of laps in a Stoptech BBK'd E92 M3. The initial bite felt a lot better than the bite on my (admittedly nearly finished) stock rotors with Pagid RS19s up front. Dunno if the Stoptech Street Sport pads would have held up for several laps or not though.

Interestingly my rear Pagid RS7 pads held up remarkably well and there was PLENTY of pad material left on them, so this points to almost all the work being done by the front brakes.

I'd be interested to know what your brake setup for the track is, if you still have your M3 and track it at all.

Cheers.
kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 14:57   #36
BHPian

Default Re: Track day(s) in the new M3. EDIT: Cayman S & new video added

In a nutshell, when you track a car with this much weight on an F1 track with long straights, you will cook the brakes, esp with stock brakes and just track pads. Even the Ferrari 458 challenge cars with ceramic brakes would glow red, thats how much stress and heat you put into the braking system on such a track. A BBK and brake ducts will help but still not deal. Sending you more specific details via PM, enjoy the car and your time at BIC.