Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 12th May 2005, 15:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Spanish Grand Prix. Worst Race Seen. Best Race Kimi. Hard Luck Alonso. Bridgestone Loser. Bad Show Montoya. Good Comeback Barrichello. Good One Trulli/Toyota. Boo Karthikeyan. Finish.

HAHAHA!!! Good one !!

Somehow, I don't agree with JPMs signing with McLaren either. I, personally, would have preffered someone like Pedro De La Rossa actually driving... he is rather talented, as has been seen... and I guess I just don't like JPM. Plus, the guy is a total loser. In the same car, he was struggling, and got LAPPED by Kimi...

Of course, that couldd mean 2 things:
1. He is slow.
2. Kimi is FAST!!!

All hail Kimi - next world champion... Finns rock.
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 15:28   #17
Awaiting Email Confirmation

aveek even i am anti JPM never liked his attitude, he is too ragid a driver to be in F1, just has a big mouth and nothing else.

finns rock , totally agree on that, how could we forget, mika, kimi,makinnen,gronholm
SCARLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 16:13   #18
BHPian

aveek and scarlet ....(hello from a JPM fan....)

"Plus, the guy is a total loser. In the same car, he was struggling, and got LAPPED by Kimi.."
thats a fact but I hope you can look at some other facts:
-he was driving the car after more than 35 days
-his shoulder probably was hurting with demanding Barca track pulling huge Gs
-was out 1st in Qual 1 ....P11 didnt help his final grid position
-Was in 4th when he pitted...MOST IMPORTANT thing is it was a wasted pit stop as fuel rig failed....he came back to the pits on the next lap for fuel..you know how much time that costs....he was in P12 after that...
-had a BIG accident on friday practise which prolly meant his confidence wasnt very high after coming from an injury too

hopefully that puts his 7th place and lapping into prspective...no denying that Kimi was untouchable on sunday!
as a side note - JPM's fastest lap in the race was faster than Kimi's

Scarlet - too ragged eh?..didnt you see your idol (am guessing you are a MS fan..since most of them hate JPM ..wonder why ;-) ) in his early years....heck even till 2000 , Michael's style was very on the edge..much like JPM's ..

As for why Ron Dennis got him rather than de la Rosa ...isnt it obvious ?
JPM has won more races than Kimi till date....many more poles as well and some unbelievable passes and moves (many of those on Michael!)
In 2002 when Ferrari utterly dominated, the same guy got 7 poles..even more than MS

I am sure Sir Frank Williams and Ron Dennis know a bit more about driver talent than us lot ...no offense

Last edited by Abhay : 12th May 2005 at 16:16.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 23:39   #19
BHPian

Personally I don't like JPM's attitude. But he is brilliant. He is there near Kimi.

I was thinking ...which team has more fans here at team BHP? Ferrari or McLaren?
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 10:27   #20
BHPian

Kimi .... Future World champion ??? ... that i cannot see happening in near Future ...
Kimi Raikkonen is definitely a good driver .. But A Champion ??? ...
that i have a serious doubts ... He is a fast driver .. he takes his machinery to the limits and when his machinery withstands his grind he WINS but Machinery generally tends to break under him ...
To become a champion you have to first Finish and then make sure that you finish First ... Just being Finnish doesnot make you a Winner or for that matter a Champion.. you need to tend and nurse your car to finish ... thats the ability that Michael Schumacher , Mika Hakkinnen had in common and in abundance .. and more recently In 2005 we have seen that Ability of nursing and tending a car to top step in FERNANDO ALONSO ...
I still root for Michael to become champion in 2005 but i will also be very very Happy to see the young "El Matador " " The Prince " " Raging Bull" take the F1 crown from the Red Baron ......
So in my thoughts the "IceMan" still has not quite become ICY ....
haryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Abhay - OK, you do ahve a few points, but still, look at Kimi!! He absolutely flew!!! I did actually expect JPM to get a close time to Kimis, butt even with thee shoulder,it seemed a bit much... didn't you thik so? Anyway, we shall have to see what happens at Monaco!!

Minardi - Ferrari has definitely got more fans here, but the minority (McLaren) are most definitely there. So if it was a scream as to who is better, the Tifosi ( :-p ) would probably out-shout us... hehe... what bout you mate? Which side are you on??
Old 13th May 2005, 10:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
Abhay - OK, you do ahve a few points, but still, look at Kimi!! He absolutely flew!!! I did actually expect JPM to get a close time to Kimis, butt even with thee shoulder,it seemed a bit much... didn't you thik so? Anyway, we shall have to see what happens at Monaco!!

??
you got to understand that JPM in his good days also can absolutely and crushingly Destroy Kimi ....
he also admittied after the race that his shoulder pain got so worse that he was just not able to turnin the car into corners ....
And one good race doenst make a champion ....
haryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 10:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
...And one good race doenst make a champion ....
Yeah, but it depends what you call a 'good' race and a 'bad' race...

So far, Kimi has had very good starts and has been very strong when he was running, but then his machinery gave way. That could be termed a good race until his car crumbled. On the other hand, we could say that JPMs performace at Catalunya finally was a bad race... so, again, the conflict that arise out of interpretation - lets call BAR and see what they think of this!! ...

Kimi has most definitely got what it takes, and now that hiis car aint exploding under - behind - him, he's gonna put everyone in place. But again, only time will tell.

To the Monaco GP then!!!
Old 13th May 2005, 11:11   #24
BHPian

haryan , you dont think Kimi is WDC material ?
He almost won the title in 2003 (1pt gap tp MS in the end) !!!!!!!! that too in a car which wasnt as fast as the Ferrari or the Williams..

aveek, yes he didnt have a very good race but he salvaged some points inspite of losing huge time (extra pitstop) etc,.
Montoya is a proven winner (CART/F3000 champ) and he has won F1 GPs (convincingly) to get some respect from people out there....

Anyways I much rather enjoy the racing than blindly following a driver..whoever wins.
Old 13th May 2005, 12:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

I really dont see why Kimi can't win a WDC... he is definitely championship material. Only thing is he is a bit short on luck... Alonso on the other hand is good too, but, if u ask me he's not in the same league as Kimi, and besides, Mika, in his drivers review in last years' Autocar or Overdrive said that Alonso is much hyped and the Renault chassis makes him look good...Finns, in general are naturally good drivers. i haven't seen Kimi having a bad race... it has always been his machinery which troubles him. When his machinery holds up... we see a flying finn, like we did in Spain!
And, as far as Montoya goes, i used to like him at the beginning, but, now if you ask me, he is plain stupid... tries to bully around a bit too much... too much ego. I have lost respect for him. And i really dont think he was needed in McLaren, they already have a good set of test drivers. De La Rosa is good enough. He can do a very good job for the team.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 14:30   #26
Awaiting Email Confirmation

KIMI is a really cool driver, has championship material in him, irrespective of the car, ICEMAN really goes well with him, well as far as montoya goes he is a hot cat on a tin roof, he never puts his words into perfprmance on track , just blabbers and blabbers,
alonso maybe the renault is making him look fast, but he is not fast, MS almost had him in italy.

Well being a MS fan i would say KIMI is the next man to take his shoes ,
i would give MS another year to try for his 8th title provided ferrari have the car next year
SCARLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 14:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, if even if you dont like Montoya, show some respect before calling him idiot/stupid/overhyped and what not. He has so far won 4 GPs, 11 Poles and collected 221 points in 68 starts so far and comes with proven track record before F1. Not drawing any comparison here to belittle Kimmi, but he just won his 3rd race.

Last edited by RX135 : 13th May 2005 at 14:55.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 14:58   #28
BHPian

This is beyond belief..the hate for Montoya that is....he is stupid, he has a big ego...talks too much...all of this can be attributed to most aggressive racing drivers!
As for him being not as good as even de la Rosa...well nothing more to say really...he has won 4 GPs in his career ..yeah w/o talent I guess (Kimi has won 3, since many MS fans are obsessed by stats and dont look behind those for any insights)

I also do rate Alonso very highly...yeah MS almost had him in Italy...but was he able to pass him in what was a car faster by 1 sec per lap? ..err no..and thats called good racing and keeping cool under pressure..

what people seem not wanting to understand is that almost all of the top10 drivers in F1 are very very close in terms of natural speed ..what separates them is their machines...each of them are supremely talented to do what they do and hence they do deserve a certain amount of respect which is sadly not there.

sorry for the rant but I feel some of us are being too hard on some drivers..
yes some are more talented (by slight margin) which separates the Raikkonens from the Coulthards..

edit : rx135 you posted my thoughts exactly when I was typing the above

Last edited by Abhay : 13th May 2005 at 14:59.
Old 13th May 2005, 18:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveek
Minardi - Ferrari has definitely got more fans here, but the minority (McLaren) are most definitely there. So if it was a scream as to who is better, the Tifosi ( :-p ) would probably out-shout us... hehe... what bout you mate? Which side are you on??
I am a total McLaren fan. Among drivers, Kimi is my favorite (Mika was before). I dread to think whom to support if Kimi moves to Ferrari in a few years.

I feel Alonso lead is quite substantial at this point of time that he seems to be the favorite at least for this year. Kimi's bad luck can be seen from the fact that he has less than 50% of the total points scored by McLaren till now.

I am not very sure yet about McLaren reliability. But if Mclaren is very strong, JPM might be a bigger threat to Kimi than Alonso.
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 22:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well, i do accept i was a bit harsh on JPM, no offense to anyone though... its strictly my views. I do respect him for he is a F1 driver. It takes a lot of talent to get into F1 and takes exceptional talent to get into the bigger teams. On his day JPM seems invincible.... one such race was German GP(02 or 03??) where he was stamping his authority on everyone else in the grid. At the end of the race he opened up a massive 69 second lead.
But, when its not his day, things get a bit cranky... one such incident was at Belgian GP last year... where he tried an impossible overtaking move, and landed up getting himself as well as a Renault (Trulli??) out of the track... he did recover to finish the race, but, it was foolish of him to even try to overtake at the bus stop chicane at that moment.
And one cannot compare Kimi or De La Rosa or JPM, they are different drivers altogether.

P.S: before this thread goes wayy off topic, i think we should stop.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote