Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 17th April 2009, 21:41   #31
BHPian

Briatore called Barrichello a "Pensioner" & Button a "paracarro" (roadside concrete post in Italian as Rocky mentioned) - had me in splits when i read that. That's got to be the quote of the year so far for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post

Edit 2: BBC reportedly quotes Flavio telling La Gazzetta dello Sport:
"Our (McLaren, Ferrari and Renault) drivers are or have been world champions, and then you have a (Brawn) driver who was almost retired, and another who is a 'paracarro' (Italian for a roadside concrete post) fighting for the championship.
akrish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 12:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

F1 China - Qualifying Times

Renault's diffuser seems to be paying off.
Attached Images

vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great job from Vettel! But I am afraid he might not keep it for a long time. The pole might go to Alonso. There is an enquiry going on about Vettel blocking Heikki during Q2 (Check screenshot attached).

Poor lad deserved that pole a lot, I hope it stays with him.

The Diffuser... what a difference its making over slow corners!
Attached Images

anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:14   #34
BANNED

Vettel grabs the first ever poll for Redbull racing. Amazing!
Will he be able to pull a thrilling win this time? Man! F1 is getting more interesting.

For the first time, Barrichello has out paced Button this year.

Kimi and Hamilton on 8th and 9th!!
I hope they don't run into each other.

Alonso has managed a very good position. Will be good if he can stay somewhere there till the end of the race. It will definitely give Mr. Briatore some relief to comment about the paracarros!

Massa has troubles continuing. Sad!

Last edited by speedzak : 18th April 2009 at 13:15. Reason: Paracarros.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 13:26   #35
BHPian

This race promises to be interesting, with Brawn GP out of top 3.
My guess is that Alonso is a lot lighter compared to those around him, while Raikkonen and Hamilton are a lot heavier.
If Alonso manages to get away from the Redbulls and builds a gap before first stop, we will have a good battle at the front.
Kimi vs Lewis should be interesting too, Kimi has no KERS this time around, while Lewis has it.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 20:09   #36
HKS
BHPian

I second your thoughts about Alonso being lighter, but my money is on the Double World Champion. I'm hoping for a podium finish for him.
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 20:58   #37
BHPian

Here is the starting grid with the car weights.
As expected Alonso is lightest of them all, so are the Redbulls.
Kimi and Lewis are the heaviest in top 10.
This makes for a great race tomorrow. With rain expected later in the race, anything can happen!

Quote:
Driver Weight 1st Stop (predicted)
1. Vettel 644.0 14
2. Alonso 637.0 12
3. Webber 646.5 15
4. Barichello 661.0 20
5. Button 659.0 20
6. Trulli 664.5 22
7. Rosberg 650.5 17
8. Raikkonen 673.5 25
9. Hamilton 679.0 27
10. Buemi 673.0 25
11. Heidfeld 679.0 27
12. Kovalainen 697.0 33
13. Massa 690.0 31
14. Nakajima 682.7 28
15. Bourdais 690.0 31
16. Piquet 697.9 34
17. Kubica 659.0 20
18. Sutil 648.0 16
19. Glock 652.0 17
20. Fisichella 679.5 27
Old 18th April 2009, 21:25   #38
BHPian

I don't know if it's just me or if all you guys feel the same way but the 2009 season is already a season that I would like to forget. But more importantly, I'm now worried about the future of the sport that I love. The way that the FIA is managing the sport, I don't see a future for F1 beyond 2010.

The rules changes that were introduced were supposed to make the sport more popular but I think they have been detrimental to the sport. The latest among the FIA's biggest mistakes is allowing the double decker diffusers of Brawn GP & Co. Now, the rest of the field, which includes the heavyweights Ferrari, McLaren & Renault all have to play catch up.

To be fair to Brawn, i read somewhere that he gave the FIA a list of loopholes that he felt could be exploited by teams. But as expected, the FIA rejected his proposals. The wily old fox that he is, I'm sure Brawn has managed to extract the best out of his machine by utilizing those loopholes to the fullest possible extent.

The much touted KERS has also been deemed a big failure with 2 teams already binning it (in Webber's words).

Let's face it, in a sport already plagued by fears of recession & forced to cut big budgets, I don't think spectators (those who have been folloding the sport for a long time) would come in large numbers to see Button, Barrichello & some other guys win races? First timers may turn up but they would probably be few in number. Turn out of spectators for races later in the season could be at an all time low this year if Ferrari, McLaren & Renault can't turn things around in the next 1 or 2 races. Raikkonen has already admitted that chances of Ferrari winning this years championship (Drivers & Constructors) are quite remote.

Let's hope that the FIA doesn't bury this sport all together with their muddled thinking

Last edited by akrish01 : 18th April 2009 at 21:29. Reason: added more lines instead of a new post
akrish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 22:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes, even I feel FIA is ruining this great motorsport!

Hope they realise their follies before it is too late!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 23:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Kimi and Lewis are the heaviest in top 10.
This makes for a great race tomorrow. With rain expected later in the race, anything can happen!
With the way that Kimi's luck is going this season, you can be almost sure of rain after the first 10 laps.
On top of it Ferrari will send him out on the wrong set of tyres!
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 01:48   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
I second your thoughts about Alonso being lighter, but my money is on the Double World Champion. I'm hoping for a podium finish for him.
Oh yes!
Will be great to see him on the podium. On current form, I'm really not expecting much from Ferrari or McLaren.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 09:31   #42
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrish01 View Post
I don't know if it's just me or if all you guys feel the same way but the 2009 season is already a season that I would like to forget. But more importantly, I'm now worried about the future of the sport that I love. The way that the FIA is managing the sport, I don't see a future for F1 beyond 2010.

The rules changes that were introduced were supposed to make the sport more popular but I think they have been detrimental to the sport. The latest among the FIA's biggest mistakes is allowing the double decker diffusers of Brawn GP & Co. Now, the rest of the field, which includes the heavyweights Ferrari, McLaren & Renault all have to play catch up.

To be fair to Brawn, i read somewhere that he gave the FIA a list of loopholes that he felt could be exploited by teams. But as expected, the FIA rejected his proposals. The wily old fox that he is, I'm sure Brawn has managed to extract the best out of his machine by utilizing those loopholes to the fullest possible extent.

The much touted KERS has also been deemed a big failure with 2 teams already binning it (in Webber's words).

Let's face it, in a sport already plagued by fears of recession & forced to cut big budgets, I don't think spectators (those who have been folloding the sport for a long time) would come in large numbers to see Button, Barrichello & some other guys win races? First timers may turn up but they would probably be few in number. Turn out of spectators for races later in the season could be at an all time low this year if Ferrari, McLaren & Renault can't turn things around in the next 1 or 2 races. Raikkonen has already admitted that chances of Ferrari winning this years championship (Drivers & Constructors) are quite remote.

Let's hope that the FIA doesn't bury this sport all together with their muddled thinking
I tend to disagree. If none of the teams would have used double deck diffusers, this issue won't have happened and the teams which used KERS would have had a great plus on high speed tracks like China. The Shanghai circuit almost has a 1km straight. This is where KERS could have been a plus. But these double deck diffusers spoiled FIA's plans.

It will be fun to see, a teams performance once all the teams are ready with their new double deck diffusers. Renault and Mclaren (Hamilton only) are using an intermediate diffuser, and their pace has improved.
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 13:20   #43
BHPian

Massa out, really feel bad for this guy, after coming to position 3, car gives way. Hamilton overtakes kimi thrice on track!! Good drive by Lewis

Last edited by redrage : 19th April 2009 at 13:24.
redrage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 13:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

The race is headed for a 100% wet race!

Sad about Massa!
Kubica climbed over Trulli wrecking the rear wing of Trulli.
A great battle is going on between Vettel, Button & Webber!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 14:41   #45
BHPian

Vettel wins with Webber 2nd.
RBR 1-2, Brawn 3-4, McLaren 5-6
Sutil came so close to scoring points yet again. Pushing a bit too hard to keep Lewis behind.
Ferrari are really down and out, I can't see them mounting any challenge this year at all. Really sad