Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 15th May 2009, 07:46   #31
HKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
If its a wet race, you can't really predict anything, that too in a circuit like Monaco. Its all down to luck and strategy if the heavens open up..

Ferrari better send both their cars onto the track and keep posting times till each session ends so that they don't goof up like before.
I'm hoping the same from the team. I'm only looking forward to one Ferrari driver. One or the other driver in the team has problems with KERS. If both Ferrari drivers finish in points, it will be great. But Ferrari has never displayed great results in Monaco.
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:23   #32
BHPian

A dry race in Monaco, is way too boring for me prefer wets anytime

OffTopic:
Got a glimpse of how it would be to run beside a gravel trap...

Driving on the ORR from Ramamurthy Nagar junction towards Banaswadi on the new underpass, made me realise how mm perfect these guys have to be in Monaco.
I was overtaking a slow Tempo on the middle lane, with quite a sight of the long gravel trap on the right
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 01:07   #33
BHPian

Jenson Button plans to up the ante in Monte Carlo this coming weekend as he looks to extend his lead in the title race.

Read on - Button to get aggressive in Monaco - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com
petrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 09:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Red Bull ready to race double diffuser

Let the war begin on the "track"

Red Bull has succeeded in readying a 'double diffuser' solution in time for this weekend's Monaco grand prix.

Until mere days ago, designer Adrian Newey admitted it was "touch and go" whether the RB5, featuring unique pullrod rear suspension, could be modified in time to accommodate the controversial concept.

But team driver Sebastian Vettel has now been quoted by an Austrian television broadcast as confirming that his car will indeed have a double diffuser in the Principality.

The German, however, expects the true effect of the development to only become clear once the calendar moves on to the more conventional circuit in Turkey two weeks later.

Vettel told the ORF programme Sport am Sonntag: "But if the diffuser helps us, then it will also help in Monaco."

Formula 1 complete - all access F1 - Red Bull ready to race double diffuser
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 11:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Monaco has always been an interesting watch,Tight corners and lack of overtaking opurtunities would be treat for the eyes.Would the double diffuser be usefull on such a track.A good defensive driver could hold on to his position in such conditions.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 14:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Monaco is refered to as the Jewel in the crown of the F1 Circuits and the driver winning this GP cherishes a special win and trophy.
Some unique facts of Monaco Race:
- Its always the Rainier Family which hands over the trophies to the 1-2-3 Drivers post race.
- There was a restriction to dig roads in the pit lane to place time sensors until it was relaxed few years back.
- Post race Champagne cant be spilled alongside the Rainier Royalty and normally consumed decently.
- Red Bull cars carry a special livery for Monaco Race,often promoting movies like Superman Returns,Star wars,Ocean's 12 etc.In an year David Counthard came 3rd and for the podium ceremony,he was dressed with a cape like Super man.
- Lastly,There is no podium stand in Monace gp and the 1-2-3 winner stand on te steps to simulate the podium steps.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 15:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default 1-2 All-red Tiffosi

I don't think Ferrari will win here. In the beginning itself FIA made sure that Ferrari should not take either Championships. Knowing Multi-Holed Diffuser was illegal (convincingly interpreted by FIA) they disigned their car around KERS.

They still have trouble with the car's fundamental design which was tailor made for KERS. They had redesigned half of the car for accommodating the Multi-Holed Diffuser but not at all near the pace and down force of brawn.

Lest us keep the finger crossed and wait. Good luck Ferrari. I am waiting for that 1-2 All-red Tiffosi. (MS era)

Since 1998 I had watched almost all F1 races live. If Ferrari leaves F1 next year, I will miss them and F1.

Cheers, let us wait and watch
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:19   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am usually against the tide in that, I love the Monaco GP! It's fun seeing the cars snake around the narrow circuit and bounce over the many bumps. I'm putting my money on button for the quali front. He has been amongst the most consistent drivers this season with absolutely zero mistakes so far. Come to think of it, who would've thought of him dominating the championship table back in January!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:40   #39
BHPian

Life isn't fair and it absolutely isn't fair to ferrari. Every step taken by FIA shows that they are trying to make sure that the competitiveness in the sport increases. They do not want only Ferrari Mclaren or BMW to be the front runners. Well finally the FIA's wishes have come true. I guess even Monaco GP would be disappointing for the ferraris. I still wish for the 1-2 finish by kimi and massa but i guess all wishes wont be granted. I feel Monaco will have Button again on the top followed by Mark Webber and then Barrichello. But Monacco being my favourite track i shall still be glued to the television keeping my fingers crossed for the Kimi !!!
skrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 22:04   #40
BHPian

Monaco will be interesting. So far this season it has been the aero packages, more specifically the diffusers and floors that have been the deciding factors. Monaco is all about mechanical grip, driver skill and luck. We don't really have a clear picture about who has the best mechanical grip.

I have to disagree about Monaco suiting Brawn best. I came in to the conclusion after reading an article comparing the sector timings. It says that,

-In Oz the Brawns were fastest in sectors 1 & 2, the sectors with the most high speed turns where the DDD gave them an edge. In the tighter and slower sector 3 they were 4th and 9th fastest.

-In Malaysia the first sector has the slowest turns and the Brawns were 3rd & 9th. In Sectors 2 & 3 where the turns are predominantly fast they were 2nd & 3rd and 1st & 3rd.

-In China sector 1 is the tightest sector. The Brawns were 7th & 11th. In the faster sectors they were 1st & 4th and 2nd & 4th.

-In Bahrain Sector 2 has 4 long sweeping turns, the sort of turns where the DDD is a huge advantage. The Brawns were 2nd & 3rd. Sectors 1 & 3 are essentially 2 straights with a turn in the middle. Here the Brawns were 2nd & 10th and 7th & 10th.

-Now if we look at how many times a teams was among the 6 fastest in the slowest sectors in all 4 races we see this:
Red Bull - 5 Toyota - 4 McLaren - 3 BMW - 3 Renault - 3 Williams - 2 Ferrari - 2 Brawn - 2

Brawn's upgrade for Barcelona may have improved their grip in low speed corners somewhat, but the first 4 races clearly show that their real advantage comes form down force and that they are mid-pack when mechanical grip is required. Fortunately for Brawn, fully 2/3 of the sectors in the first 4 races put a premium on down force and Brawn has taken full advantage.

Trulli, Alonso or Vettel IMO may be one of the guys to throw a monkey wrench into things by qualifying quickly.

All fingers crossed for Kimi, but Ferrari has not won Monaco since 2001. And for Kimi, winning means #1. 2nd in the podium is nothing but loosing!
petrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 08:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Petrohead, well said!

Fingers crossed for the MonacoGP! Damn, but I hate the street circuits.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:21   #42
BHPian

Thursday, Prac 1, top 5 :::
  1. Brawn - Barichello
  2. Ferrari - Massa
  3. McLaren - Lewis
  4. McLaren - Heikki
  5. Ferrari - Kimi
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 15:34   #43
BHPian

Do you think KERS is necessary for the Monaco GP? Will Ferrari opt for it or not is still a question.
hariharanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 18:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari and Mclaren are running KERS. A benefit or not is yet to be seen but they run it since their cars were built around the KERS.
Old 23rd May 2009, 17:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Alonso tops saturday practice.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote