Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 15th June 2005, 19:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

narain will be in F1 next season (at least racing) if there is no one else who has more money than him
SAD BUT TRUE

he should rather take a smooth & steady approach
if he manages well then the only realistic chance for him to be in F1 next season is as test driver
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 20:59   #17
BANNED

Well if narain not there in f1 next year then really sad.. Indian sponsors have just given 28crores to improve the team.. and minardi seems to be improving more then the jordans.. Narain should just finish the races and move out of others way and he will surely be in next year.
Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2005, 23:11   #18
Team-BHP Support

no team what ever the formula and whatever the car likes to have a DNF. the fact that his team mate has finished makes NK's DNFs even more glaring. He'd better learn to finish even if that means to finish last or at 30 he wont get another chance. At 19 his aggressivness might be excused but at 30 he should be more sensible.

there is a LOT of pressure on him. from his countrymen, the media, his sponsors, and himself. All this has resulted in some very bold statements. I think he better put his brain in gear before putting his mouth in motion. No team likes to be considered poor. he was PUBLICALLY complaiing about the car even before the season had begun. I wonder if he was just readying some excuses.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 00:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think he better put his brain in gear before putting his mouth in motion. No team likes to be considered poor. he was PUBLICALLY complaiing about the car even before the season had begun. I wonder if he was just readying some excuses.
to be fair to him.. his comments were a reaction to what his team manager, colin kolles had said.. about him not performing well
which i thought was totally uncalled for

in truth, the jordan's were really slow at montreal.. a minardi out qualified them
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 01:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

There can be so many reasons for the Jordans not being able to out perform the Minardis'.

I don't think Narain is doing a bad job at all. He's atleast finished a few races in his first season.

We will have to wait till the end of the season before making any comments.

And i don't see anything wrong in him saying that the car is slow. We all know it is and Jordan knows it better.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th June 2005 at 01:13.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 09:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
And i don't see anything wrong in him saying that the car is slow. We all know it is and Jordan knows it better.
There is nothing (morally) wrong in saying the truth, but from a pragmatic point of view, you don't want to offend your team bosses if you expect a place in the team next season.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 09:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in truth, the jordan's were really slow at montreal.. a minardi out qualified them
there are a lot of reasons
1. Minardi recently had a major upgrade to their car which is partly based on Arrows design which was not fully evolved when Arrows went bankrupt & it was fast
on other hand Jordan are probably using the same chassie design as that of 2002

2. Albers is a better drivers than any of the Rookies

3. Both Minardi's were running very light at Canada

Quote:
I don't think Narain is doing a bad job at all. He's atleast finished a few races in his first season.
BUT when compared to his team mate Narain is doing bad job
for all these small teams the drivers main & should I dare say it ONLY target is to beat their team mate
& this is where Montiero is shining
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 11:01   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My opinion narain was too old to get into F1 at this stage
good in one sense that he got into the sport most of us dream could be a part of

He will always be known as the fastest indian and the first indian to get into F1
SCARLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 12:32   #24
Team-BHP Support

In many ways Narain is doing a great job. he probably had to work harder raising finances that even his team mate. he has had to drive on tracks that he has not driven on before. However when you get a ride you gotta remember you are driving someone else's car even though you got your own sponsors.

so if you are riding someone else's car (atleast Jordan will see it that way and so will any other team looking at narain for 2006) try not to trash it. Every car has it's limits and knowing them is a basic must for any formula driver F1, F3, Ford, Nissan, any level.

In addition to this dont trash the management or the car no matter what they say (besides if i remember righ NK was bad mouthing the car before the season got underway). The impression you give is of a bad carpenter blaming his tools. if he kept his mouth shut (often hard to do) and simply drove the car to the finish he would earn the respect of other teams who might hire him in the future. At 30 I wont be surprised that he will end up at best as a test driver and then maybe as an instructor a few years after that.

Of course had he got his breaks 5 years ago this would have been slightly a different story.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 12:50   #25
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think basically the problem lies with us(as eternal unqualified optimists) who went overboard when he got in,forgetting that he has not really started out at a single digit age in karting,,and then work his way up,,i believe he is already nearing the age whereur reflexes are just not upto it,,and his fitness levels r bound to be seriously suspect,,if u look at him at the end of most sessions ,,he looks about ready to faint,,sorry guys ,am as patriotic as the rest of u,,but WE NEED TO START BEING PRACTICAL IN OUR EXPECTATIONS,,look at Sania mirza,,she does not get in to the second round of anything
snoopy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2005, 13:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy41
I think basically the problem lies with us(as eternal unqualified optimists) who went overboard when he got in,forgetting that he has not really started out at a single digit age in karting,,and then work his way up,,i believe he is already nearing the age whereur reflexes are just not upto it,,and his fitness levels r bound to be seriously suspect,,if u look at him at the end of most sessions ,,he looks about ready to faint,,sorry guys ,am as patriotic as the rest of u,,but WE NEED TO START BEING PRACTICAL IN OUR EXPECTATIONS,,look at Sania mirza,,she does not get in to the second round of anything
Very correct - we Indians tend to go overboard with both accolades and expectations every time one of us does something half decent. Thus we're stuck with bunch of clay-footed 'heros' who raise expectations and do a fraction of what other 'stars' with much lesser rating do. We as a nation are therefore stuck with a bunch of lame ducks for heros.

Perhaps we should let people actually perform before terming them heros or showering them with praises. Sania Mirza is an excellent case in point, as are a lot of our Indian batsmen who keep getting praised for their potential than for their performance. Hence you have the likes of VVS Laxman who still retains a place in the team based on one or two instances of bravado a few years back, you have a Sachin Tendulkar whose place in the team is never questioned even if the only big scores he comes up with in recent times are against the likes of Bangladesh, Kenya and other such minnows.

We tend to identify ourselves with one name/person/brand and keep singing praises of it just because that is a symbol we identify with, regardless of the actual merits of that name/person/brand. Classic examples of such blind faith are the Congress party, the Ambassador (no other car is made for India - forget that it was made for the brits in the first place), Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Leander Paes, Fiat, the Indian Hockey team, and all those symbols that we identify with and yet let us down all the time.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote