Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 16th June 2009, 13:21   #31
BHPian

Angry Give NK his due...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Narain Karthikeyan suffered an injured shoulder recently at Le Mans while trying to pee
I find this in very poor spirit & a bad attempt at humor (apparently). A lot of posters seem to think that just having a ton of cash qualifies one to be an instant success in motorsport - that's as naive as you can get. Dragging & winning on our roads, or being good at Forza-Motorsport or Grand-Tourismo doesn't neccessarily mean that one's going to snatch poles & win races in the real world.

NK has won the British Formula-Ford championship, Formula-Asia championship, placed 4th in both the British Formula 3 & Formula Nissan World Series, has won A1GP races at Zuhai & Brands-Hatch (from pole !). And most recently, came in 6th in the Le Mans series race at Spa.

NK will always be India's first racer in F1, I'm not sure if any JC fans remember his remark in his Indian episode of 'Jeremy Clarkson's Motorworld', where he introduces us as a country which has never raced in F1. And how many nay-sayers remember that when NK tested for Williams in 2006 (Spain ?), he comprehensively out-paced the much touted Nico Rosberg. It was a bitter disappointment (to me atleast) when NK was not chosen to drive for Force-India.

As a motoring community, I think the least we can do is to support NK at this juncture & hope that he's able to race again, soon.

P.S. - The only thing I hold against NK is missing the podium in the 2005 US-GP.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 13:52   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

P.S. - The only thing I hold against NK is missing the podium in the 2005 US-GP.
I guess thats the only thing which is in the mind of everyone that NK dint got podium in that race and have forgotten all his wins and acheivenments.
its.me.ankur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
I find this in very poor spirit & a bad attempt at humor (apparently).
You don't get the joke? Fine, but don't start with the spirit of the post. Like I said before, its just some light humour. I'm not speaking for those who say he's a poor racer cos I'm not one of them and in a way this thread has become something it never was supposed to be: An NK critical/support thread. I do see the funny side in that incident and I'd laugh no matter who the guy was whether it was some F1 great like Schumi or even my next door neighbour and that's it.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 20:58   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

esteem lover: i am just staying mum now my friend.Rest the hoardes of Nk fans mite get me again.It was a thread wth a humorous touch that has turned into a slugfest.I have people telling me to win world championships and become viv richards. SO i guess we should just leave this thing at where it is and move on .
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 21:54   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite the contrary. Narian's career was severly disadvantaged compared to his European peers because India back then had no karting infrastructure, no local championship, no proper tracks or a proper ladder series. At 17 he started pretty late compared to the Buttons and Alonsos , came from a then 3rd world country and still did a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
It's MONEY! Nothing else!
BTW, I never thought that Karthikeyan was a good driver! (at least in F1.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Boss he was born with a silver spoon.

If everyone had equal opportunities or shall i say access to better motor racing infrastructure , you never know, someone might have even surpassed karthikeyan by now.
If everyone in Germany had a family owned karting track (like the Schumacher's father did), then someone would have surpassed Micheal Schumacher by now. Where does this argument end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Boss he was born with a silver spoon.
In india they are many people like me who killed their dreams because they didn't have the "prerequisites" to enter the sport.
Ya? What don't you first go to your karting local track (should'nt cost much) and break the track record and show it to us. We'll go from there.

Last edited by Mpower : 16th June 2009 at 22:54.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote