Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 1st October 2009, 00:11   #136
BHPian

25 million euros for Alonso. He will rock with Ferrari!!
Old 1st October 2009, 10:02   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
25 million euros for Alonso. He will rock with Ferrari!!
Kimi gets an even better deal. A huge salary from Ferrari and another huge salary from his next team, probably McLaren. I think he'll easily be the highest paid driver in 2010.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:22   #138
BHPian

Thumbs up

To be very true it will be good to see the top drivers fighting for the milliseconds in the best cars of the grid than drive for inferior machinery.

Best example is alonso at renault. He has had a bad return to the french machine (absolutely not alonso's fault).

For people who are driver fans i understand the various conerns, but for the true fans of the sport, nothing better than the new 2010 lineup.

The radio communications between both rubens and jenson to their resp. race engineers during the singapore GP was in true competition spirit. Both were fighting to get ahead of each other. Thats what sport is all about.

I'm gonna wait for March 2010.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:31   #139
BHPian

The 2010 season is going to be a cracker. I'm salivating at the prospect of seeing

Massa/Alonso in the Ferrari which will have the benefit of a long development cycle
Hammy/Kimi in Mclaren, they are always at the top
Vettel/Webber in Redbull, should be able to build on this season's success
Button/Rosberg in Brawn
Kubica in Renault
Add emerging teams like Force India and fast experienced drivers like Barri/Heidfeld to the mix and you have a potent combination with a lot of uncertainty.

The one fly in the ointment could be the ban on refueling. If overtaking is as tough as with the current cars, we could have a situation where a slower car holds up faster cars with no prospect of pitstops to change the running order. On the other hand, that may provide the incentive for drivers to lay everything on the line and try out some brash overtaking maneuvers.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:56   #140
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
To be very true it will be good to see the top drivers fighting for the milliseconds in the best cars of the grid than drive for inferior machinery. For people who are driver fans i understand the various conerns, but for the true fans of the sport, nothing better than the new 2010 lineup.
Nicely put Drivers come & go, its the sport that endures. Renault, despite being a works team, operates with budgets 20% lesser than Ferrari or McLaren (~$300 million vs ~$400 million in 2007). What Alonso was able to achieve with what was available is remarkable.

Kimi might be the best driver around today, but he comes across as a reluctant talent. In 2007 Mark Hughes penned in his column (AutoSport:F1's Inside Line) a comparison of Schumi, Kimi, & Alonso - supposedly based on informal discussions with the respective team mechanics. To quote, the article went on to say "Kimi has forced them [Ferrari] to recalibrate their ideas of what is possible". Any F1 fanatic would've raised a temple for Kimi in their minds after reading that article (I know I did). 2007 seemed to prove the assertions of that column with Kimi clinching the championship crown. Then 2008 came around & Kimi seemed to be affected more than the others by the traction control ban. To confound things, he claimed the fastest laps in 10 out of 18 races that season, almost as if to prove that he could win, but chose not to ! It was poor Massa (3 fastest laps), who's not the sharpest knife in the block, to take the fight to Lewis (only 1 fastest lap all season). Again in 2009, with a car that was out-thought & out-dated, it was Massa who spearheaded the Ferrari flag. Another quote from said article - "It paints a picture of a guy [Kimi] with more dips and crests in his performance than either Schumacher or Alonso - but the top of those crests are higher even than theirs" - and that's pretty much it. As talented as Kimi is, the relationship with Ferrari hasn't worked out as well as they all had intended. Whether coerced by Santander or not, it wouldn't haven't happened if Kimi had delivered more.

They're all good drivers - Kimi, Alonso, Lewis, Kubica, Rosberg, Massa, each with their individual strengths & weaknesses. The very fact that different cars, with different engines, different bodywork, & different drivers are able to lap within a tenth or two of a second shows just how close to the limit F1 is. The driver shake-up for 2010 can only be good for the sport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
I'm gonna wait for March 2010.
Me too

Last edited by im_srini : 1st October 2009 at 12:11.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

As a Ferrari fan, I am happy that Alonso is joining the team!

Like Schumi, he is aggressive on the track & undoubtly one of the best drivers around!
Old 1st October 2009, 12:24   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
As a Ferrari fan, I am happy that Alonso is joining the team!

Like Schumi, he is aggressive on the track & undoubtly one of the best drivers around!
As long as he does not do a China 2006 and Mclaren 2007 at Ferrari. Rest Assured he will not like the response of the Tifosis in that case.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:07   #143
BHPian

Thumbs down Alonso not a worthy champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Im not happy at all. Despite knowing that this is gonna happen, I am somehow not reassured by Alonso coming to Ferrari :-(

Im really unhappy at Kimi leaving.
+1

I still feel inspite of the poor show in last 2 seasons, Kimi+Ferrari was any day a better combinition than Alonso+Ferrari

I had mentioned this in some other thread, but this thread seems to be the right one for discussing this issue - It will be great to see how he works with a person who is consultant at Ferrari, who could soon assume higher role and to whom Alonso had once described as the 'biggest cheat in F1'.

Remember Alonso had also said that he wants to be the only driver other than Senna to win title 3 times without racing for Ferrari. There are no permanent enimies in Politics, Business and now in F1...

Hope Alonso learns to react and talk responsibely.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:30   #144
BHPian

This Crybaby Alonso blamed his team and team mate for not helping him in minning WDC in mid of 2006 season, when his team was doing many good and a lot more bad efforts to keep him ahead of Schumi.

He could not handle his rookie team mate getting attention at McLaren in 2007, how is he going to manage with a team mate like Massa who was so close to winning WDC in 2008 and who is hot favouriate at Ferrari.

Alonso is currently the only double champion and possibly the best on grid today, but Alonso + Ferrari simply doesn't make me happy. I am very disappointed as a Ferrari fan, simply can not support the guy who had launched personal attacks on Schumi...
Old 1st October 2009, 16:09   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
As long as he does not do a China 2006
What happened in China 06? Was there something which I've forgotten?
Old 1st October 2009, 16:53   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
After Chinese GP in 2006, where Alonso lost the race to Schumacher after starting from pole position, Alonso accused Renault of 'abondoning' him. Thus indication that his team is sabotaging his title chances!!!
Old 1st October 2009, 17:20   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
After the bad tyre change (either his front or back tyres were not changed) during his first stop he lost the lead to Schumi and all of a sudden his Title was looking to be lost to Schumi. After the race, he ranted against the Renault team claiming they were against him and etc etc. I will try and find the link if I can.
Old 1st October 2009, 18:34   #148
Senior - BHPian

Ah, thanks for the memory refresh. Though its not quite as bad as what he's done at Renault this year with crashgate.
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:16   #149
BHPian

The fireworks have already started in Ferrari. Massa is furious about "crashgate". I wonder how things are going to work out between Massa & Alonso. Would be interesting to watch.

I remember in 2006, Massa almost came to blows with Alonso when Alonso suggested that Massa deliberately tried to take him out of the race. Massa was leading the race but then it started raining & Alonso caught up with him and eventually overtook him to win the race. There was contact between the two cars when they came side by side. Alonso pointed to the tyre marks on the side of his McLaren & waved to the crowd almost as if to say, "this is not how you do it".

Are we going to see a repeat of what happened in McLaren 2006, albeit this time in the Ferrari camp?

F1 : Massa hits out against crash-gate robbery - MASSA - F1-Live.com

BTW, I'm still not convinced that Massa is going to be 100% fit to race in an F1 car for the rest of his life.
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

^ They sure will get on like a house on fire.

Even though I don't like either Massa or Alonso, I hope Massa outpaces him. But deep down, Massa probably knows he's slower than Alonso which means his chances of a WDC are pretty slim. What can he do but cry about what might have happened in 2008?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 2nd October 2009 at 12:41.
Closed Thread