Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 6th August 2009, 18:56   #226
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
@vinod,

And word is that, Schumi is also training on karts and says karting is tougher than F1 when it comes to physical fitness. Source: TSN.
Source F1.com

Schumacher adds karting to training programme

Michael Schumacher took to the kart track with Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer on Wednesday, as he continued preparations for his planned Formula One comeback at the European Grand Prix. Subject to passing a fitness test, Schumacher will stand in for the injured Felipe Massa at Valencia later this month.

"Karting has a very good training effect,” Schumacher told his official website. “That is why today I just jumped into a testing day of the Tony Kart Team in Lonato (Italy). There is nothing better for my preparations at the moment - in terms of steering wheel forces for example karting is even more difficult than Formula One.”

Schumacher has already shed three kilos as he trains to ready himself for his first F1 race appearance since retiring at the end of 2006. And with warm weather predicted in Spain, the German said his day of karting should stand him in good stead.

“The fact that it has been boiling hot here is simulating the temperatures expected for Valencia,” he added. “Luca Badoer is with me, and together we found again today that karting is just an awful lot of fun."

Although Schumacher won’t get to test Ferrari’s current F60, he has been using a two-year-old F2007 running on slick tyres. He is expected to undergo medical tests next week to determine his race fitness. The only question mark surrounds the strength of his neck, which he injured in a motorcycle accident earlier this year.

“I have to admit that my neck pinches a bit,” said the seven-time champion this week. “We have to get a grip on that as health has priority.”

If he is passed fit, Schumacher will join Ferrari team mate Kimi Raikkonen for first practice at the Valencia Street Circuit on Friday, August 21.

Looks like he's not leaving any stone unturned
Attached Images

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 01:03   #227
BHPian

What are the chances of Schumi and Alonso in red cars next season ?
abhijitaparadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 02:20   #228
Senior - BHPian

Kimi is at 18 points right now. Just imagine if Schumi could start getting some serious results and end up overtaking Kimi by the end of the season.

5th place Rosberg is only at 25.5 points from 10 races. Difficult, but not impossible to catch.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 03:36   #229
BHPian

I dont think Kimi will be sleeping while Schumi comes and overhauls his points tally . With the car that Ferrari have , can Herr Schumi actually pull off a victory ? Kimi has laboured for 2 podiums up till now in that car . Anyways hope Schumi galvanises the team into devoloping the car and the Ferraris are back on the top steps of the podium .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 03:39   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitaparadh View Post
What are the chances of Schumi and Alonso in red cars next season ?
According to current contracts NIL . But who knows with Massa's injury .
Kimi has said in latest interviews that he would like to see off his contract (till 2010) before he thinks about WRC .
Would Schumi be interested in coming back full time to racing that too with Alonso as teammate ? My guess is no .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 10:00   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
Would Schumi be interested in coming back full time to racing that too with Alonso as teammate ? My guess is no .
Wrong way around I think. The question is would Alonso be interested in racing when Schumacher is number one in Ferrari.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 15:12   #232
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Michael Schumacher is clearly taking preparations for his proposed race comeback pretty seriously.
Good to know that Schumi is on a fittness regime and is eager to come back. Yes, he does need to shed a lot of weight, as he did look like he'd put on a little weight in a recent interview on TV.

Just a little over a fortnight to go, so he should be able to tone up his neck mucles as well. But it will be interesting to see how he copes for the rest of the season and especially at Brazil where the track is anti clockwise and puts extra strain on the neck muscles.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 16:56   #233
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Schumi coming back is a big threat to Lewis ! WOW
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 00:20   #234
BANNED

Some exciting interview from a legendary F1 champion.

Lauda on Schumacher: the hunger for competition never dies

The 2009 Formula One season has already had its fair share of major stories, but all are set to be surpassed by Michael Schumacher’s planned comeback in the forthcoming European Grand Prix, replacing Felipe Massa. One man who knows all about comebacks is Niki Lauda, who walked away from the sport in 1979, only to return two seasons later and ultimately win a third world title. We got his take on Schumacher’s prospects…

Q: Niki, what was the reason for your return and what do you think is Michael’s?
Niki Lauda: Let’s leave aside my reasons - that’s all too long ago and they definitely were different from his. Let’s focus on Michael. He was never able to detox himself of the racing bug, as we have seen with his on-track motorcycle activities. In my opinion he retired at the end of the 2006 season because he couldn’t see a real challenge - and probably he regretted his decision. Now he’s got the unique chance to step in for the injured Massa to help his former team, and to find out for himself how competitive he still is. This is something that would also interest me, because this hunger for competition - for the adrenalin rush - never dies. It’s in our DNA. And the situation as it is now at Ferrari, with a recovering Massa and an available cockpit, gives him the chance to explore how far he’s off the top. That is a question that always puzzles a top driver like he was.

Q: What about his age? When you returned to the Formula One cockpit you were 31 years old - Michael is 40…
NL: Forget about the age. He is fit, he’s undergoing rigorous training and mentally he is taking up the challenge. He will do everything possible to be fit as a fiddle in Valencia. True, there are some obstacles that he has to overcome, like his unfamiliarity with the track and that he’s had no chance to test this year’s car, but that’s part of his challenge and that’s why he’s doing it. And that’s why the whole world will be watching.

Q: Fitness plays a major role. Michael was exercising all the time - how was it with you back then?
NL: Yes, Michael has tried to retain as much as possible his fitness from his race days. Look, he was able to put in a whole day in the old car in Mugello a few days ago. With me it was different. I hadn’t done anything for two years and when I did my first test in October 1981 I hardly managed three laps. That was a sharp signal for me that I’d better start improving my fitness immediately if my return to Formula One was not to end as a farce. So this was a whole different situation to the one that Michael is in. Basically, he has to focus mainly on the muscles that are called on in an F1 car - and, of course, the neck - but that should be manageable in the next two weeks. But in the end the final word will be with the doctors, to decide whether he is in the physical state to race.

Q: You became world champion again in your third year back from retirement. What do you think Michael can achieve?
NL: I actually won the second race back after my retirement, but Michael is not racing for any championship. I came back because I wanted to win, if my comeback was successful. For Michael it’s nothing more than an interesting experiment.

Q: How long will his guest appearance last?
NL: Only as long as Massa is in his recovery process. Period.

Well said sir
Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th August 2009 at 00:23.
Old 8th August 2009, 00:33   #235
BHPian

I think this is going to be schumacher`s only race because massa is doing well now and will be 100 % fit in sometime. I read in an article in THE HINDU where the interviewer asked massa how he felt abt shumi driving his red car. He replied " Lets see if i let him Drive".

So guys, i think massa will take over again after valencia and we might not see schumacher again. So don`t miss this race at any cost.
Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 09:31   #236
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
So guys, i think massa will take over again after valencia and we might not see schumacher again. So don`t miss this race at any cost.
Massa's recovery will take much longer as his injuries are very serious and doctors will not advise him to get back behind the wheel in a hurry.

Michael may have to drive for the remaining races this season.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 09:48   #237
Senior - BHPian

Word is that Schumi is guaranteed to race for at least two weekends. After that, it depends on Massa's recovery. So two races minimum, entire season maximum.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 10:27   #238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Word is that Schumi is guaranteed to race for at least two weekends. After that, it depends on Massa's recovery. So two races minimum, entire season maximum.
Buddy with Kimi planning to opt out of F1, do you forsee any chance of Schumi staying back for another year

He's anyways getting fit now and once he gets into scheme of things getting his natural rhythm back, wont that tempt him and the Ferrari's to retain him. Just my thought
Old 8th August 2009, 15:41   #239
BHPian

massa health is recovering well, but doctors were still skeptical about his left eye. with the high G forces involved in F1, i think the doctors will be in no hurry to make him sit in the cockpt
vinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 15:43   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Buddy with Kimi planning to opt out of F1, do you forsee any chance of Schumi staying back for another year

He's anyways getting fit now and once he gets into scheme of things getting his natural rhythm back, wont that tempt him and the Ferrari's to retain him. Just my thought
Kimi is NOT opting out of F1. He WILL be driving for Ferrari next season.
As said earlier Schumi's return is only an interim arrangement till Massa is 100% fit again.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote