Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:58   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 458 Times
Default F1 European Grand Prix '09 Valencia

Qualy: Hamilton leads all-McLaren front row - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Great result for us Mac fans. Hope there's a good race tomorrow
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:58   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,568
Thanked: 80,418 Times
Default

Are the Mac's back? They've clearly worked hard on getting their car up to speed, but who would have thought that last years Champion would have to wait until Valencia for his pole. Either ways, only for more for us. This season has been a topsy turvy of pace setters. I think it's Barri's Brawn car that will be the one to watch out for in this race. Vettel continues to impress.

Luca Badoer : Slower than the Torro Rosso? What a disappointment. Can't help but think what Michael could have done in that same car.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:13   #3
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 928
Thanked: 315 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Great result for us Mac fans. Hope there's a good race tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Are the Mac's back?
Granted McLaren are back, but they're also the lightest cars on the grid...

The Official Formula 1 Website

In a street circuit where track position's important, McLaren's strategy could backfire. It all depends on how much lead they can pull on the rest of the Brawns & Red-Bulls. This could be Barichello's day...

P.S. Kimi's looks to have got at least 3 laps worth of extra fuel compared to Lewis & look at the fuel load Luca's carrying !?!

Last edited by im_srini : 23rd August 2009 at 14:18.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:17   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Luca Badoer : Slower than the Torro Rosso? What a disappointment. Can't help but think what Michael could have done in that same car.
He really did very very poorly. I mean, when was the last time a Ferrari was dead last and so far off the pace? Even Piquet or Bourdais would have got it in a better grid spot. And its not an excuse to claim that Badoer hasn't had practice. Look at Grosjean and Alguersari!
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:03   #5
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Was hoping that Sutil would make it to Q3. Force India had shown some promise on practice sessions. Today could be Sutil's chance to get some points. (please don't get near Kimi )

Not really surprising to see Luca Badoer at the back, even when there was in-season testing and 3rd drivers during pracices, he used to off the pace relative to Ferrari teammates. That explains why Ferrari desperately wanted Michael back. They know how good (or bad) Badoer is.
Grosjean is in different league. He is a good young talent, you can't compare him to 39 year old reserve driver who drove a race 10 years back.
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:30   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Not really surprising to see Luca Badoer at the back, even when there was in-season testing and 3rd drivers during pracices, he used to off the pace relative to Ferrari teammates. That explains why Ferrari desperately wanted Michael back. They know how good (or bad) Badoer is.
Grosjean is in different league. He is a good young talent, you can't compare him to 39 year old reserve driver who drove a race 10 years back.
True, but what on earth possessed Ferrari to even consider him if they knew how bad he was as a racing driver? When there's unemployed drivers like Piquet and Bourdais who's be more than happy to drive for them. Maybe even for no salary . I really hope he finds those extra few seconds or gets replaced by another driver for the next few races.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:48   #7
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
True, but what on earth possessed Ferrari to even consider him if they knew how bad he was as a racing driver? When there's unemployed drivers like Piquet and Bourdais who's be more than happy to drive for them. Maybe even for no salary . I really hope he finds those extra few seconds or gets replaced by another driver for the next few races.
Paying back for his services all these years. Why would they let some outsider drive their car and potentially pass on the information to other teams
I am sure he will get better as he gets more practice. But better if it happens quickly. It is a shame to see Ferrari qualifying on P20 purely on merit.
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:54   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,007
Thanked: 21,586 Times
Default

Barrichello drove well and deserved to win.
As for Lewis Hamilton, the pit lane mess up by the team was a classical example of how to throw away a race.
Loved the Red Bull and Brawn pit lane conversation.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:01   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
14000rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 1,848
Thanked: 544 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Barrichello drove well and deserved to win.
As for Lewis Hamilton, the pit lane mess up by the team was a classical example of how to throw away a race.
Loved the Red Bull and Brawn pit lane conversation.
Mclaren=McGoof ups. How more overconfident can one be? on the other hand, Rubinho did a good drive. kudos to him. So he gets himself another happy t-shirt.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:29   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Mclaren=McGoof ups. How more overconfident can one be?
Over confidence has nothing to do with it. Red Bull didn't put any fuel in today for Vettel too. Its just an error and it happens to every team once in a while. It is a costly error though and Whitmarsh is talking nonsense when he says it didn't cost them the win. Those five extra seconds in the pits probably made the difference between first and second. At the very least, we'd have had an exciting battle till the end.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 23rd August 2009 at 21:34.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:34   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
14000rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 1,848
Thanked: 544 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I doubt it was over confidence. Red Bull didn't put any fuel in today for Vettel too. It happens to every team once in a while. It is a costly error though and Whitmarsh is talking nonsense when he says it didn't cost them the win. Those five extra seconds in the pits made the difference between first and second.
I'm a huge mclaren fan but todays incident at the pits was totally uncalled for. I don't recollect things like this when RonDennis was at the helm.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I'm a huge mclaren fan but todays incident at the pits was totally uncalled for. I don't recollect things like this when RonDennis was at the helm.
I couldnt watch the race after the first round of pit stops. What happened with Hamilton in the second round? According to formula1.com:
Quote:
Hamilton had a lead of 3.6s over Barrichello by Lap 36, but when he pitted again a lap later McLaren did not have his front tyres ready after a late request to him to do one more lap came just as he was about to enter the pits. That delay proved costly - though the team insisted it didn't cost them the win
So, did Hamilton pit anyways because the request came late? or did he abandon pitting in that lap and pitted in the next one?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:18   #13
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Deserved win for Rubens. Got to see his trademark 'slippery surface dance' on the podium after so long!

Redbull's were remarkably off the pace today. Also Vettel blew 2 engines in this weekend itself. If what commentators were saying is right, he has only 1 fresh engine left. Any more new engines after that will get him 10 grid places penalty. So Vettel's already slim chances are almost gone. Probably time to put more support behind Webber?

And Luca Badoer, he had no clue what was happening, he gave way to rookie Grosjean as if he was getting lapped in pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, did Hamilton pit anyways because the request came late? or did he abandon pitting in that lap and pitted in the next one?
He came in to pits in the same lap, left front tyre wasn't ready and he stopped for 14+ seconds as a result.
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 08:24   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 458 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Also Vettel blew 2 engines in this weekend itself. If what commentators were saying is right, he has only 1 fresh engine left. Any more new engines after that will get him 10 grid places penalty. So Vettel's already slim chances are almost gone.
Engine use until the German GP. Red indicates that the engine has completed its cycle. Blue indicated a blown engine. I believe Vettel lost engine 5 in practice. Not sure which one he lost in the race.



Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 24th August 2009 at 08:25.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:45   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,568
Thanked: 80,418 Times
Default

Didn't I tell you guys that Barri is the one to watch out for. Well-deserved win, he didn't put a damn wheel wrong!! Button has to raise his game if we wants to hold on to the championship lead. Button had the quickest car (as proven by Barri), yet had a disappointing run. He can't afford to have low days in such ideal conditions. The Red Bulls match Brawn on most tracks now, and the big boys are catching up too.

Quote:
In a street circuit where track position's important, McLaren's strategy could backfire.
The car, driver & strategy were alright. It's Mac which shot themselves in the foot! Looks like its going to take some time for them to get used to fighting for P1, what a guffaw of a pitstop.

Seemed to be one of Kimi's good days. Strong performance. If only he could maintain this pace throughout the year. Luca Badoer? I think he forgot that we was racing. Seemed to be merely testing the car .

Did you guys realise that Vettel is running out of engines?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 F1 - European Grand Prix (VALENCIA) PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 53 28th June 2012 16:25
F1 2011 - European Grand Prix VALENCIA PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 68 5th July 2011 08:35
2010 F1 Europe - Valencia Telefonica Grand prix PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 77 2nd July 2010 18:12
Europe F1- Valencia- Legendary countdown PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 15 31st July 2009 09:56
Predictions: F1 European Grand Prix Nurburgring Dippy Int'l Motorsport 20 12th July 2009 22:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks