Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 31st August 2009, 10:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

but that's not a triumph of Indian sport/technology/skill is it ? Its one of capital and management

Something to be happy about as an indian, but not as an indian gearhead.

Might as well sponsor ferrari or mclaren and be happy when they win

Last edited by greenhorn : 31st August 2009 at 11:01.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:01   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
but that's not a triumph of sport/technology/skill is it ? Its one of capital and management

Might as well sponsor ferrari

and your point is ....??????

FYI, TATA does sponsor Ferrari- you dont see anyone going gaga over that everytime Ferrari wins a race! this is a case of an Indian owned team doing a great job.

enuf said, I'm outta here!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 31st August 2009 at 11:03.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
and your point is ....??????
..... added in the same post
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:26   #109
BHPian

I don't think that tata sponsors ferrari. They are technological partners and that is the only reason for their logo on Ferrari car in a down under place. As far as force india win is considered, theres definetly no indian force behind it except the foreign exchange thats going out of india.
palio1.6-2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian ownership
indian Money
Indian Owner got the appropriate management team together using his business acumen.
Indian Owner got mercedes to supply its engine and gearbox for the first time ever to another team.

Sheesh! some people just want to criticize for the heck of it! learn to have pride in the achievements of your countrymen- Mallya did what no one thought possible.

If the race left you cold, go take a hot shower!

Indeed, as a purely commercial venture, it is laudable. But come on, to take pride in it as an Indian, I need more tangible Indian presence and contribution.

It is called Force India, and wreathed in Tricolor. That makes it very patriotic for you? Could they have not given the only Indian to have driven in F1 a place in the team, as a reserve/test driver at least? If not him, then one of the prospective young ones (A.Ebrahim/K.Chandok) as an under study and to develop them? If there was at least a symbolic presence for an Indian in the team, it would have had more supporters.

No doubt the owner has waxed eloquent about Indian drivers finding a place in the team once "they make the cut" and earn their spurs in F1. That is, when someone else has already given them a break and they have other prospects in hand. He himself is not ready to take the initiative and give the first break,and is so commercial minded! And you want me to take pride in this victory? Think about it, if the Indian owner of a F1 team is not going to give a break to young Indian prospects, who else will?

For me, till then, it is Vijay Mallya's kingfisher team, period! I am pleased to see the tricolor on the podium, but definitely not proud.

Last edited by Gansan : 31st August 2009 at 11:35.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:35   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, what a brilliant drive by Fisi! I have to admit : I initially thought that the pole position was a fluke (running on fumes). But on race day, Fisi had the pace to match Kimi through all of 'em 44 laps. He didn't put a wheel wrong, Kimi was frequently looking in his rear view mirror! Who would have thought, we missed hearing our national anthem by all of 0.9 seconds!

WRT to Force India's pace, yes it was GENUINE, albeit it was also a one-off. My brother was talking about this track being higher on mechanical downforce, a factor thats cheap, suits the low budget teams and one that larger outfits avoid (rather have an advantage on 16 tracks instead of 1 Spa). Explains why the Toyota was second too. What's this exactly about though? James Allen speaks of something similar here :

Quote:
How did he do it? Well it has a lot to do with the fact that this track is a bit of a one-off in terms of the aerodynamic package required.

For this reason many teams have focused on the high-downforce package used at most places and some have put more effort than others into this race. The same may well be true for Monza, which is low-downforce.
All in all, a MIND BLOWING performance by Force India. Well done boys.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian ownership
indian Money
Indian Owner got the appropriate management team together using his business acumen.
Indian Owner got mercedes to supply its engine and gearbox for the first time ever to another team.

Sheesh! some people just want to criticize for the heck of it! learn to have pride in the achievements of your countrymen- Mallya did what no one thought possible.
Well said Himanshu!

Kudos to Fisichella, Team Force India & Vijay Mallya for the fantastic win!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:40   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Small correction here. Cars with KERS do not weigh more than cars without KERS. They all weigh slightly over the minimum weight (605kg). KERS only compromises weight distribution but does not change overall weight.
KERS cars do weight more

Source: Formula One news: Minimum car weight to rise next season - GPUpdate.net Formula One
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:42   #114
BHPian

What a way for Force-India to earn their first points !

Very pleased, very proud, & hope they can sustain their momentum...

For once, Kimi & Ferrari winning was just the icing on the cake - my heartiest congratulations to Force-India !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
KERS cars do weight more
Sn1p3r, McLarenRulez is right. All F1 cars weigh the same, i.e. just over the minimum weight of 605 Kgs & this includes the car & driver (with all driving apparel). The teams build the car much lighter than allowed & then use ballast to weigh the car down to the minimum weight - this way they can get the weight distribution just the way they want it for each track. KERS imposes a weight penalty of ~30 Kgs, obviously the KERS components cannot be distributed around the car the same way as ballast - so getting weight distribution just right, for each track, is a luxury the KERS teams do not have. Looking at the starting weights you can pretty much figure out when each car's stopping, this is not possible unless all the cars weigh the same - all cars, irregardless of running KERS, weigh the same - its in the team's interest to have the lightest car allowed by the regulations...

Last edited by im_srini : 31st August 2009 at 11:58.
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indian ownership
indian Money
Errmm...sorry for nitpicking, but doesn't all of above mean only one thing i.e. Indian owner?

I wished Force India would win this and I am absolutely happy to see Indian tricolor waving, but other guys do have a point. Other than money, there is nothing that belongs to India in this team, no driver, no technology, no technical team (not even those pretty girls lined up to congratulate Fisichella ). I would not criticize them for saying so.

May be some day in near future, we'll see an Indian Driver driving Force India car and end up on podium.

Last edited by RX135 : 31st August 2009 at 11:48.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:53   #116
BHPian

Dr VJM has a % stake in it, and this has been promoted by him majorly so its an Indian team. Also the team name (Force India) and the car naming (VJM02) is Indianised (directly or indirectly) Only the Rider is not Indian, so we can say 50-50 for the machine-rider respectively, hence an Indian podium win can be equally well attributed here.
Kudos to the team for such a fantastic machine and Fissi for such a skill.

A sheer example of "going gets tough hence only the tough gets going"... its a much needed win financially as well as for the sport. Hope soon they may bring F1 to Indian boundaries.

Last edited by AltoHoncho : 31st August 2009 at 11:54.
AltoHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

When Italians can feel proud of Ferrari though they have Finnish & Brazilian drivers, why can't we Indians feel proud of Force India's win???

I feel some of us are not too happy with another Indian's success!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
When Italians can feel proud of Ferrari though they have Finnish & Brazilian drivers, why can't we Indians feel proud of Force India's win???

I feel some of us are not too happy with another Indian's success!
May be because, they also have Italian owner, Italian in technical team (not just in Ferrari), Italian engines, Italian designers? And, they any way have italian drivers driving F1 cars if not just Ferrari.

Let's celebrate the win for whatever it means, but why can't we accept other point of view about this win, which is quite valid?
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:16   #119
BHPian

I can only think of this, "Perseverance can make miracles happen!"
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

The name itself sounds like its to force India on to the stage.

Really would have been great to hear the Indian Anthem!
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote