Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 31st August 2009, 12:24   #121

Kudos to the Force India Team and Dr.Vijay Mallya for his never give up attitude..!
mivec_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Force India gets points and what a way to get them!! May this inspire VM to put it more money and make that car go even faster
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Dr VJM has a % stake in it, and this has been promoted by him majorly so its an Indian team. Also the team name (Force India) and the car naming (VJM02) is Indianised (directly or indirectly) Only the Rider is not Indian, so we can say 50-50 for the machine-rider respectively, hence an Indian podium win can be equally well attributed here.
We are clutching at straws there, are we not? Let us assume FI attains another podium finish, and an Indian driving for another team comes 4th or 5th in the same race. Care to bet who will get more accolades? I never denied that (only) the owner was Indian and his financial acumen was excellent. And I don't intend to take anything away from Fisi. Excellent drive by him, it does not give me patriotic goosebumps, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
When Italians can feel proud of Ferrari though they have Finnish & Brazilian drivers, why can't we Indians feel proud of Force India's win???

I feel some of us are not too happy with another Indian's success!
I never said nobody should feel proud of this win. I only said I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
May be because, they also have Italian owner, Italian in technical team (not just in Ferrari), Italian engines, Italian designers? And, they any way have italian drivers driving F1 cars if not just Ferrari.

Let's celebrate the win for whatever it means, but why can't we accept other point of view about this win, which is quite valid?
And an Italian marque. Excellent my friend, you have lifted the very words from my mouth there.

Last edited by Gansan : 31st August 2009 at 12:44.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:44   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
When Italians can feel proud of Ferrari though they have Finnish & Brazilian drivers, why can't we Indians feel proud of Force India's win???

I feel some of us are not too happy with another Indian's success!
Hey finneyp et all, Its not a question of not being a proud Indian or being happy with another's success. Its just that some of us don't swallow all that the media tries to shove down our throats. Questioning something is not unpatriotic. Remember when Bush went to war, questioning his intentions by skeptical American citizens gave rise to the unpatriotic chorus being raised, but now hasn't that wheel turned full circle....
Anyways, I think I started the fire and now getting outta here. Continue popping the champagne.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 12:48   #125
BHPian

Guys, we have to acknowledge the man who heads the team...and in this case it is VJM. Are we not proud that Vikram Pandit heads Citibank or Indira Nooyi heads Pepsi. VJM showed the courage to put his money where no Indian (Ambani's, Tata's, Birla's or Premji) had dared before, apart from sponsorship.
If only Ferrari did not have KERS, the Indian Anthem would have sounded on an international stage. I hope we all can recall how proud we were when the Indian Anthem played when Abhinav Bindra won the Olympics Gold..!!
Lets not take it away from FI, the giant steps they have taken in developing the car, and bringing it to the Podium. We all know, the Spyker car they got was a non performer, and needed money and effort to turn it around.
I am awaiting the Monza and Suzuka races, which are again High Speed and high down force circuits, so should suit the aero package of FI.
Hopefully we should hear the Indian National Anthem... Jan Man Gan...... on one of these races...!! Kudos to VJM and FI...!!
amitku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 13:14   #126
BHPian

Well, some of you are right about not going overboard with 'Indian' aspect of this. To be honest, The feeling I got was better when Karun Chandhok won his GP2 race at Spa, than yesterday. But you should give credit where it is due. Force India have managed to do which very few privateer teams manage to do.
It's only a matter of time we see an Indian driver driving for Force India. It may well be next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Can I also ask you, if you really do believe that all of a sudden Indian women were the best beauties and brains in the world - Sushmita, Aishwarya, Priyanka etc... Remember those days when the press went all overboard ... Do you remember the glory days of Sharjah, with all matches fixed as we realised it later, eh ? It does not need high thinking, just be grounded in reality. Follow the money.
You are mixing far too many things here, comparing a beauty pagent or a field game to an expensive, highly technical sport like F1, you are just showing your ignorance about the sport. It's up to you take what the press gives to you. If you don't like something, just ignore it.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

When Vijay Mallya bought into the Spyker team, he had targeted a podium finish by the year 2010. Credit to him, his team and Fisi for achieving it a year earlier than expected.

Fisi talked about how he could have won the race, if not for Ferrari's KERS advantage. This result should give Force India the impetus it badly needed.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I don't really mind the fact that Force India don't use Indian drivers or Indian crews. Indian drivers have limited experience in developing F1 cars (Only Karthikeyan has some experience but that pales compared to a veteran like Fisi) and training an all Indian crew is expensive and time consuming. If Force India wanted to be an all Indian team, we'd be looking at the new Super Aguri of the paddock. All that patriotism by Super Aguri gave us Yuji Ide, the worst driver ever, and they were the joke of the grid till they packed up. I, for one, wouldn't want to see India being the laughing stock of F1.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 31st August 2009 at 16:28.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
all of a sudden Indian women were the best beauties and brains in the world - Sushmita, Aishwarya, Priyanka etc...
You are saying they are not beautiful enough to win?

I think they are and they deserved it. I was there all of 14 years when the Miss India competition was held in Goa and from where Sushmita and Aishwarya went on to win the Universe and World.

They are really deserving i tell you... honest.

PS: Get the analogy to the F1 win?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

The first is a video of the start of the GP from different cars' on board views. The second is a full view. Now, look at two drivers in particular: Kimi and Rubens. Kimi clearly is fourth or fifth before he goes off the track. He comes back on in third. So why isn't he penalised for taking an advantage by going off track? We've seen other drivers be penalised for the same.

Next look at Barrichello in the on board video. At the corner where the four car accident happens, Barrichello goes off track and emerges ahead of several cars which were ahead of him before. Sure they had to slow down and Barrichello may not have had much choice, but he did out brake himself and more importantly, didn't bother giving the advantage back.

Simply put, both gained an advantage and didn't give it back. Why no penalty? At least for consistency, the stewards should penalise both.

P.S. Don't particularly enjoy DCs commentary, especially when he starts talking about taking kid from a candy

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 31st August 2009 at 16:54.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:34   #131
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

The first is a video of the start of the GP from different cars' on board views. The second is a full view. Now, look at two drivers in particular: Kimi and Rubens. Kimi clearly is fourth or fifth before he goes off the track. He comes back on in third. So why isn't he penalised for taking an advantage by going off track? We've seen other drivers be penalised for the same.

Next look at Barrichello in the on board video. At the corner where the four car accident happens, Barrichello goes off track and emerges ahead of several cars which were ahead of him before. Sure they had to slow down and Barrichello may not have had much choice, but he did out brake himself ....
In both cases the drivers tried to avoid collision. The penalties are imposed when one driver chase another cuts or overshoot a chicane/turns to gain advantage.
Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 17:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Just to clarify, this what the rulebook says.

Quote:
CHAPTER IV - CODE OF DRIVING CONDUCT ON CIRCUITS

c) The race track alone shall be used by the drivers during the
race. Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of
doubt:
- the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be
part of the track but the kerbs are not, and ;
- a driver will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car
remains in contact with the track.
Should a car leave the track for any reason, and without
prejudice to 2(d) below, the driver may rejoin. However, this may
only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any
advantage.
While it is impossible to define advantage in the absence of other cars, surely a position gain is an advantage? Mind you, I'm all for stewards not interfering in race results but I'd rather see them do so consistently. Kimi could have stayed on track as he did have enough room. However, even if he had no choice, the rules still require him to back off and give third back. DC comments that going off the track has no advantage. But being stuck in a concertina of cars is certainly slower than going at a much higher speed along a longer and dirtier path, which is how Kimi found himself in third. Same with Rubens. That they had no choice is irrelevant if seen in the context of the rules. They went off, gained an advantage in terms of track position and did not give it up (in accordance to the two corner rule as agreed at Monza last year).

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 31st August 2009 at 18:03.
Old 31st August 2009, 19:32   #133
Senior - BHPian

For all the critisism here on Mr. VJM, specially by the young men on the forum, I have known and seen VJM racing at Barrackpore and Sholavaram way back in Late '70s and early '80s. He has been a Motorsport enthusiast as is known to our South Friends.
He makes it a point and flies down to most of the F1 Races! This is not possible for a person with no Love for racing! How can someone say that this is all media shoving down our throats?
What makes sense is that if someone is not a Fan or convinced about this sport and the way it is run just stay away from commenting please.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

how difficult it is for us all to fathom the fact that this is one of the most improved car in f1 2009. and all that becoz of the determination of VJM. others failed. remember midland F1 and spyker. so,cheers to that.
I'm out of this mud slinging thread.
As for me, I'm proud of Force India's achievement.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 23:10   #135
BHPian

FI is a team run by a Indian so it is anyway a Indian team. These days any MNC from India hires people from all over. So there is no question about just calling a all Indian team a Indian team. Then it also means when VJM can put his money to run the team you, me and all Indians must be good enough to have the technical prowess to be part of the team!
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote