Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 14:49   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Flavio Briatore is not new to controversies, is he?. The Renault in its earlier avatar of Benetton was possibly one of the most corrupt teams which flouted rules, showed scant regard to human safety in its effort to win. If this incident about Singapore GP is proved right then Flavio has once again flouted rules to win putting his driver at risk.
The earlier instances are different altogether. Don't bring their history in because every team has some sort of controversy like Spygate, Rascasse-gate etc. Its not really valid to use that against Renault.

Coming to Piquet's actions endagering lives; it may be something that Renault are charged with but anyone who's been watching F1 for a while will know that it was a pretty harmless crash. Were you really fearing for someone's life when you saw the crash? Going backwards into a wall on the way out of a fairly slow corner is never going to even injure anyone, let alone kill him. Its almost a safe shunt if you know what I mean. However, that doesn't change the fact that it was extremely unsporting of Renault to do so.

If the allegations are true, I expect the FIA to charge them with a huge fine and/or racing ban. But honestly, I doubt if Renault are stupid enough to leave a paper trail of evidence behind while planning this. I expect them to get off scot free on this one. Which also means that it sets a pretty bad precedent where other teams might be encouraged to try such silliness again.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:08   #32
BHPian
 
karizma_devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I dont think ths does any good to Nelsons F1 future.
Its but obvious that he must have dropped a hint or so, what else could reason FIA's investigation after 1 year ??

Wonder if Massa had finished 8th and Alanso's win disqualified !!

I think unless Nelson provided any hard evidence, FIA cannot dig any further.
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 15:20   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The earlier instances are different altogether. Don't bring their history in because every team has some sort of controversy like Spygate, Rascasse-gate etc. Its not really valid to use that against Renault.
You can't teach old dog new tricks can you my friend. If I may remind you, Renault was initially banned for this season's European Grandprix because of the Hungarian Grand Prix fiasco. While I agree with you every team has a cupboard full of skeletons the only difference in the case of Flavio is he has not been afraid to risk lives of his Mechanics and drivers to push the limits. The only common thread between Renault and Benetton days was this man Flavio. Between Flavio and Schumacher they were a "Match made in heaven" to be honest.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 16:02   #34
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Between Flavio and Schumacher they were a "Match made in heaven" to be honest.
Now that is cool thing I have heard after a long time !
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 16:27   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Not to forget Flavio and Alonso are "Match made in heaven Part 2". Any one remember Alonso's Brazilian GP crash a few years back.

F1 News > Why did Fernando Alonso crash?
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 17:57   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
You can't teach old dog new tricks can you my friend. If I may remind you, Renault was initially banned for this season's European Grandprix because of the Hungarian Grand Prix fiasco.
Not relevant. We've seen plenty of occasions where tyres have come off cars. The stewards overreacted to Massa's incident and wrongly punished Renault. Thankfully, sense prevailed and the ban was overturned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
While I agree with you every team has a cupboard full of skeletons the only difference in the case of Flavio is he has not been afraid to risk lives of his Mechanics and drivers to push the limits.
He may have done so before but I doubt if he realised the extent to which his commands risked the mechanics' lives. And in any case, this particular incident is being overhyped as a potentially lethal situation for Piquet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The only common thread between Renault and Benetton days was this man Flavio.
There's Pat Symonds too if I'm not wrong. The main thing is that Renault may have cheated but that's about it. Flavio isn't quite that evil or silly to risk lives for race wins.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 8th September 2009 at 18:08.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 09:58   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Not relevant. We've seen plenty of occasions where tyres have come off cars. The stewards overreacted to Massa's incident and wrongly punished Renault. Thankfully, sense prevailed and the ban was overturned.
I doubt if in any of those plenty occasions the car went from a pit stop without the retaining device for the wheel nuts. And worse still was the team did not inform him of this even though they were well aware of the problem when Alonso radioed back to the pit crew of a possible puncture.

autosport.com - F1 News: Renault suspended from European GP

The ban was overturned keeping in mind it was applicable for the race in Valencia and Alonso was a home favourite in Spain though possibly the stewards might have over reacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
There's Pat Symonds too if I'm not wrong. The main thing is that Renault may have cheated but that's about it. Flavio isn't quite that evil or silly to risk lives for race wins.
Am sure you remember the fire incident in the Benetton days which could have been fatal for Verstappen and the mechanics, all because the team was greedy to take advantage of a 12.5% increase in fuel flow rate if the fuel filter was removed.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:34   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

How dirty can this be.

autosport.com - F1 News: Race-day meeting key to Renault case

Does not show in good light any of the parties concerned Flavio, Piquet & Pat Symonds. This is as good as match fixing, especially if its true that the meeting planned when to crash which turn etc. In case if its only an allegation by Piquet he has burnt all bridges with F1
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:45   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Piquet's claims have, however, been denied by both Briatore and Symonds in documents that are believed to have been submitted with the FIA. Although they confirm that the meeting between the three of them took place, both suggest that it was Piquet's own suggestion to cause an accident.
In other words, does that mean that both knew that Piquet was going to crash and that it was indeed planned? Then why did Flavio say this stuff quoted below?

Quote:
Besides that, there are the audio recordings where I express disappointment when I see on the screens that Piquet had crashed."
But I would still wait before jumping to a conclusion on whether they cheated because these contradictions make no sense, irrespective of what Renault did or did not do.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 10th September 2009 at 12:47.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 13:54   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Am sure Flavio would not jump up in joy when he saw Piquet crash on screens, telling the world how Piquet has done his job to perfection. What a silly way to defend oneself?
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:23   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Am sure Flavio would not jump up in joy when he saw Piquet crash on screens, telling the world how Piquet has done his job to perfection. What a silly way to defend oneself?
No no, you misunderstood me. I am saying that it appears from that report that Flavio knew Piquet was going to crash and the only doubt is who thought of the scheme. So if it was indeed a planned crash, why is Briatore bothered with how he reacted. He's pretty much saying that he knew a crash was going to happen. That's essentially an open admission of guilt. Strange, wouldn't you say?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 20:55   #42
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Alleged statement by Nelson Piquet. If this statement is genuine and not made up by some journos, Flavio, Symonds and Piquet Jr are in for serious trouble.

F1SA - Motorsport: News channel - F1 : Full copy of Nelson Piquet Jr. statement to the FIA on 30 July 2009
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:32   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Surprised Alonso 'cannot imagine this situation' - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Yeah, sure!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 11th September 2009 at 12:50.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 13:01   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Motorsport.com: News channel

Hmm according to this report, Alonso was not as light as we thought initially. His strategy was changed by Symonds who overruled Alonso's own engineer. Surely, surely Alonso and his engineer must have smelt a rat after the race. I can't believe he'd still claim he had no idea.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:17   #45
BHPian
 
rranjith_kum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Coimbatore/ Aachen
Posts: 693
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Well Renault is launching legal proceedings against their former driver Nelson following his claim that he was forced into planning a crash. Let us see how the story unfolds.
Now this is going to affect Nelson's career for sure
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global Warming - Guilty/Not guilty theMAG Shifting gears 23 26th July 2017 10:52
USA: Harley-Davidson bikes being investigated for faulty brakes dZired Superbikes & Imports 1 11th July 2016 12:16
Vettel or Alonso : Who's going to win the 2012 Driver's Championship? go-pg Int'l Motorsport 31 8th November 2012 16:16
CONFIRMED: Fernando Alonso to leave Mclaren EDIT: Now back at Renault Dippy Int'l Motorsport 53 13th December 2007 13:38
Spygate II:Renault found guilty but no Penalty. merve_extreme Int'l Motorsport 11 8th December 2007 12:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks