Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 30th August 2009, 21:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Alonso's Singapore GP win being investigated. EDIT: Renault is guilty!

autosport.com - F1 News: FIA to launch probe on '08 Singapore GP

Quote:
The FIA is to launch an investigation into the events at last year's Singapore Grand Prix, where Renault's Fernando Alonso claimed victory on the back of a crash by his team-mate Nelson Piquet. Alonso's success was sealed by the timing of a safety car in the early stages of the inaugural event - which had been called out when Piquet crashed into the wall shortly after his team-mate stopped for fuel.
The timing of Piquet's crash prompted wild conspiracy theories that the Brazilian had been ordered to deliberately spin to help Renault take its first victory of the year. Piquet himself insisted at the time that the accident had been caused by him simply trying too hard.
"It was my mistake," said Piquet. "We tried two extreme strategies with Fernando quite short and me quite long in the hope of getting a safety car. If I hadn't crashed I would have been lucky with the safety car later in the race because I was very happy.
"We're always scraping the walls, and once you've touched the wall a little too much and lose control that's it."
It is understood, however, that fresh evidence about the events that took place in the race have now come to light - which has prompted the FIA to step in.
Piquet was dropped by Renault after this year's Hungarian Grand Prix, and has been outspoken in his criticisms of the outfit - and in particular team principal Flavio Briatore. It is not clear if the Brazilian himself has been a catalyst for the investigation, or if the evidence has come from elsewhere.
The FIA has not elaborated on the details of its inquiry, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that an investigation was under way.
"The FIA can confirm that an investigation is underway regarding alleged events at a previous world championship race," said the spokesperson.
Should the FIA investigation suggest there is any evidence of foul play involved, then the governing body could call a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to discuss the matter.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:38   #2
BHPian

This is crazy!
Now we can't be sure if someone is actually a champion or not. FIA will decide few years later and come back with an overruling
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

True, and if this stands, then 12 months after finishing the race, Nico Rosberg will have won his first ever race
Old 31st August 2009, 21:33   #4
BHPian

The F1 officials are really going mad.
They are investigating it after a whole year after he won Singapore GP !!!
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 21:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

There's probably method behind the madness. I assume Nelson Piquet had a word with the FIA after he got fired. It is a serious claim if Nelson was 'asked to crash' in order for Alonso to win. Back then, I remember joking about exactly that, as it was almost too good to be true. That's a hugely unsporting move if it happened, and it also means Renault asked its driver to risk his life for a race win. Will be interesting to see if there is any evidence apart from Piquet's word on this.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 31st August 2009 at 21:42.
Old 31st August 2009, 21:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

FIA monitors all radio conversations from car during the race so it makes me wonder how this got through.

Maybe they spoke to each other in Bhojpuri.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 22:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

Bit like "lonso framing Mclaren for spying etc to create bad blood
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 22:29   #8
BHPian

It was actually reported by the Brazilian media, but then Nelson rubbished it. We were worried about FIA's decision of the race result after the actual race, but now comes the real part, the race result almost after a year.
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 22:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
FIA monitors all radio conversations from car during the race so it makes me wonder how this got through.

"Nelson, Fernando has just pitted. If a car crashes now, he'd probably win. If only someone would crash... Anyway let's talk about you now."

or

"Nelson, push... Nelson push some more... Nelson push a wee bit more... BANG.. Ah there you go!"

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 31st August 2009 at 22:47.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

autosport.com - F1 News: Renault warned of serious consequences

Imagine if Massa had finished ahead of Hamilton in Singapore and lost out elsewhere. This decision would might make him champ!! Fortunate that this isn't the case

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 1st September 2009 at 14:05.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a Red Herring to me. I sometimes wonder whether the F1 bosses have learnt from our Babus and gone crazy!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hahahaha.......If this is true then maybe Hamilton's championship should also be investigated. Coz if i rem right, Massa was surely in a position to win when suddely on the last lap of the last race, one of the cars in front of Lewis had a prob allowing him to gain advantage over Massa.

Who knows, maybe Mclaren struck a deal with the other team at the last moment....

Or

maybe Brawn GP paid all the teams this season to give them a good enough advatage in the first half of the season (prob didn't have enough money to pay for the whole season LOL), so that they could win the championship.

What stupidity...... and that too after almost a year.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Sorry guys couldn't help laugh aloud, to the extent of my colleague asking me 'Kya hua Pervez?'
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Hahahaha.......If this is true then maybe Hamilton's championship should also be investigated. Coz if i rem right, Massa was surely in a position to win when suddely on the last lap of the last race, one of the cars in front of Lewis had a prob allowing him to gain advantage over Massa.
Maybe after Piquet crashed, he screwed the Ferrari pit lane signal system which is why Massa went off with the rig. All makes sense now. Oh, and let's not forget the flying pigs
Old 1st September 2009, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Singapore 08:

Flavio Briatore: Krash nahin na karna hai aapko Nielsen ji.
Nelson: nahin mein krash karoonga.
Flavio Briatore: Hum keh rahe hain aabhi nahin thodi der mein kejeye
Nelson: ok, aagle contract ka kya
Flavio Briatore: pukka sign hoga
Nelson: mid-season nikala toh?
Flavio Briatore: Nahin hum keh rahe hain na.

Nelson in 09

Nelson: Hey bagwan Nikal diya mujhe aapnne bade bhaiya ne.
Flavio Briatore: Krash karte rehte ho cars humar, track record dekha hai kya?

Bernie all this time was taking bhojpuri lessons
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote