Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 11:53   #91
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thumbs up to the way Sutil raced! But I felt bad for Liuzzi too, he could also have got some points.
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:57   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
Thumbs up to the way Sutil raced! But I felt bad for Liuzzi too, he could also have got some points.
+1 regarding Liuzzi. Infact, wasn't Liuzzi on a one stop strategy? same as Brawns? If so, he had better chances of finishing at podium than Sutil!!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:01   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 100
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1 regarding Liuzzi. Infact, wasn't Liuzzi on a one stop strategy? same as Brawns? If so, he had better chances of finishing at podium than Sutil!!
Yes he was, but his race ended prematurely and felt unnatural..
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:07   #94
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
+1 regarding Liuzzi. Infact, wasn't Liuzzi on a one stop strategy? same as Brawns? If so, he had better chances of finishing at podium than Sutil!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
Yes he was, but his race ended prematurely and felt unnatural..
He faced transmission problems mid way and after that didn't really push hard.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
Yes he was, but his race ended prematurely and felt unnatural..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
He faced transmission problems mid way and after that didn't really push hard.
Yeah, saw that. Force India still has some distance to go to pull off one-stop strategies.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:24   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Wow, what a race strategy by the Brawns. The one stopper along with their race pace made it work.

Force India would have def been 3rd and 4th if Luizzi had managed to finish the race and Sutil didn't have that delayed pitstop. Nonetheless, a very good effort by the team and both their drivers.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:05   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,888
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

I dont understand, is there an issue with not bringing in Sutil on the same lap as Kimi.

Force India did the same mistake last time too, Fisi dropped in for 2nd pitstop when Kimi did. Dont they try to make up on the time by asking him to run 1-2 laps more , with faster time laps. Ferrari used to do this with Michael when he was troubled by Alonso. And Michael came out of pitstops ahead of Alonso after this.

After the Spa race, I though this time in Monza they will not repeat it. but they do it again.

Also, is there any issue with running the car on single pit stop strategy ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:07   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And did you hear Kimi at the post race conference? In his typical style, he dismissed the suggestion that he was lucky to have come third thanks to Hamilton's accident - he said that Hamilton had squeezed him too much at the start, else he would have been ahead of him into Turn 1 in any case
Ahem.. This is what Kimi said and I quote "If I had had some space to go around him I would have got him at the start. Anyhow, it didn't really change the end of the race. In the end he went off. We got third place a little bit on a gift but it doesn’t matter."

Hamilton had a bad start and could not even pull ahead of Sutil (without KERS), he barely managed to stay slightly ahead of Sutil which is not typical for a KERS car during start of the race. Kimi had good start but had no where else to go as hamilton blocked him which is perfectly okay. Kimi went a little off track to go around as can be seen by the dirt thrown, but you won't be getting much grip/speed on dirt and by then its too late.

If Kimi had room to pass, I think he could have passed Hamilton for sure even if its only for some laps, cause McLaren was clearly much quicker than Ferrari and in the hands of Hamilton, they would have overtake Kimi eventually.
kaynmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:09   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I dont understand, is there an issue with not bringing in Sutil on the same lap as Kimi.

Force India did the same mistake last time too, Fisi dropped in for 2nd pitstop when Kimi did. Dont they try to make up on the time by asking him to run 1-2 laps more , with faster time laps. Ferrari used to do this with Michael when he was troubled by Alonso. And Michael came out of pitstops ahead of Alonso after this.

After the Spa race, I though this time in Monza they will not repeat it. but they do it again.

Also, is there any issue with running the car on single pit stop strategy ?
Well the point is that you don't know when Ferrari are going to stop. Sure they can try predicting it but they can't get it 100% right. Besides, Sutil messed up by coming in too fast and knocking a mechanic down. If not, they could have got that place since Ferrari also messed up their stop. I'm happy that Kimi didn't take Sutil out for a change

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 14th September 2009 at 13:10.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:28   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
14000rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 1,844
Thanked: 541 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well the point is that you don't know when Ferrari are going to stop. Sure they can try predicting it but they can't get it 100% right. Besides, Sutil messed up by coming in too fast and knocking a mechanic down. If not, they could have got that place since Ferrari also messed up their stop. I'm happy that Kimi didn't take Sutil out for a change
Interestingly, Dr Mallya was looking for some points this season but ths new package has moved them into the limelight. they are now at 13 constructors points . the next on the list is renault at 20 points. With this kind of performance, is there a way they can usurp the renaults on the constructors points perspective?

Somebody mentioned about Safari's used as marshall cars spotted along the track. now thats super cool . we know Safari is sold in Italy but this kind of visibility is cool. If somebody can upload a screengrab of sorts it'll be great. I'll try to see more pix of webbers crash to spot the safari's.
14000rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:51   #101
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I dont understand, is there an issue with not bringing in Sutil on the same lap as Kimi.

Force India did the same mistake last time too, Fisi dropped in for 2nd pitstop when Kimi did. Dont they try to make up on the time by asking him to run 1-2 laps more , with faster time laps. Ferrari used to do this with Michael when he was troubled by Alonso. And Michael came out of pitstops ahead of Alonso after this.

After the Spa race, I though this time in Monza they will not repeat it. but they do it again.

Also, is there any issue with running the car on single pit stop strategy ?
Pit stop can be called for various reasons. In this case, Sutil was quicker than Kimi but not quick enough to pass. Ferrari knows this too, so their objective is to make sutil tag behind Kimi as far as permissible by fuel since there is no obstacle in front of them. FI must have gambled that Kimi may pit at least one lap before them (Noticed Kimi put slight lesser fuel than FI at first pit stop going by the pit stop timing) which should be sufficient for Sutil to make up and come ahead of Kimi. This did not happen as both cars must have been running on fumes by then.

I see it as a situation where the ball was in FI's court. They have the burden to make the call. For Ferrari as mentioned, it is a matter of keeping Sutil behind as far as permissible by fuel or when FI decides to pit, then they too would pit at the same time, because if Ferrari pit any earlier, Sutil will surely get ahead as he will have a clear track on a quicker car. FI could have pit earlier and hope Kimi does not pit at the same time, but then that is a gamble, because Ferrari would be monitoring their moves and be prepared to pit at the same time. So at the end, perhaps FI decided to gamble who ran out of fuel first. And as we saw, both cars were perhaps running on fumes by then and forced to pit or FI made the call and Ferrari responded.

Thats what makes F1 interesting. And to think FIA is considering banning refulling in the future to cut cost.
kaynmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:14   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Somebody mentioned about Safari's used as marshall cars spotted along the track. now thats super cool . we know Safari is sold in Italy but this kind of visibility is cool. If somebody can upload a screengrab of sorts it'll be great. I'll try to see more pix of webbers crash to spot the safari's.
This is all i could get:
Attached Images
 
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:17   #103
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,587 Times
Default

A very enjoyable race ultimately decided on pit strategy. I feel sorry for Hamilton but he should have been sensible and driven a bit slower in the final lap.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:26   #104
BHPian
 
speedfreak7116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 212
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A very enjoyable race ultimately decided on pit strategy. I feel sorry for Hamilton but he should have been sensible and driven a bit slower in the final lap.
Ya toatlly agree... Hamilton was stupid to push and try to catch up with Button.... How could he close down the gap in one lap? Should have just been satisfied with 3rd...
speedfreak7116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:10   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
McLaren Rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Ya toatlly agree... Hamilton was stupid to push and try to catch up with Button.... How could he close down the gap in one lap? Should have just been satisfied with 3rd...
There was a backmarker ahead of Button who Button caught and lapped before finishing. There was a small window of opportunity there which is what Hamilton was gunning for. In any case, I like seeing someone push like that right to the end. Imagine if he'd pulled it off! We'd be utterly amazed, wouldn't we? Same goes for the Toyota pair who probably gave us the moment of the race! And the best bit was Trulli admitting that he was bored and wanted to have some fun

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 14th September 2009 at 15:20.
McLaren Rulez is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 F1 - Italian Grand Prix @ Monza PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 54 10th September 2013 19:52
2012 F1 - Italian Grand Prix - MONZA PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 61 19th September 2012 14:48
F1 2011 - Italian Grand Prix - MONZA PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 26 14th September 2011 13:31
2010 F1 Monza - Italian Grand prix PAVAN KADAM Int'l Motorsport 68 18th September 2010 22:03
52 Force India VIP passes for the Italian GP Monza Screening Dippy Int'l Motorsport 16 12th September 2009 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks