Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 6th November 2009, 17:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
IMO jap auto manf can never be passionate about automobiles as european manf. They will never ever make a 911,mustang or even a M series ,forget about ferrari or a lambo .
Have you heard of a certain vehicle called the Nissan GTR and what it did to the Europeans?
nitrous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 18:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

@ Nitrous,

I would agree that the Nissan GTR has put many european builds to shame. The japanese are masters in engineering & technology but they lack the passion. Enzo Ferrari started building Ferrari road cars to support their finances in racing. Thats the European passion!

As agreed by Toyota, its not the financial climate that caused the exit! But, lack of victory for the bucks invested over the 8 years! Doesn't show a bit of passion anywhere!

And Ferrari being the oldest team in F1 has been in F1 for 60 Years and they have won only 16 constructor titles and we know where the 10 of these 16 titles came from starting from the Michael/Brawn/Ross magic team till the 2008 season. Ferrari will stay and fight like always, thats the passion that makes every team unique. And this passion will be lacking by any team owned by the manufacturer himself and that was one reason I was happy to see Honda & Toyota clear off from F1.

Ferrari is in the sport only for the passion and Toyota has left in just 8 years since they lacked the big part of the investment in motorsport called 'Passion'! I am sure rest of the teams would stay in F1, including Renault! They know the heritage and they have the racing heritage in them!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 18:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

I see the point in the argument that a manufacturer uses F1 for its road car advertising. But manufacturers also are established names and that gives F1 a sort of intangible thing where fans can relate better to the teams. Isn't Merc vs BMW better sounding than Campos vs Brawn? We'll exclude McLaren and Ferrari since they're already big names in the sport and outside.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 23:34   #34
BHPian

So many key players quitting the sport is a shame. I feel it may be because of 1 reason. The stupid "KERS" I just dont get the point in having KERS in an F1 car.

It would have made more sense if they gave more liberty to teams to do R&D on the engine, rather than spending millions on developing a stupid button. Makes F1 feel like you are playing some cheap video game.

One of the best examples was at Spa this year. See I am a hard core Tifosi. But the VJM02 was just so damn better and faster than the Ferrari and at one point in the race, I really wanted Force India to win, but again only if they had the stupid KERS

What I feel is that F1 administration should bring back the V12 era or may be the Turbo era, so that teams could do more R&D on the engine rather than on a battery charger.

Quite honestly, it is disheartening to see teams like Honda, Toyota and Renault now shut their doors to the sport.

I dont mind Toyota getting out of the sport but Renault and Honda, they supplied engines to legendary teams that groomed gods like Ayrton Senna, Alain Prost, Michael Schumacher and Nigel Mansell.

Bring back the good old V12's please.....
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 23:36   #35
BHPian

Toyota was one of the least successful teams in F1, budget wise. They were constantly making the wrong decisions which started with them basing out of Germany when the F1 talent pool was in Great Britian, poor driver choices and trying to run a racing unit like a corporate programme.
Its sad to see a manufacturer leave F1, but the fact is that they had already shot themselves in the foot long back.
There are talks of McLaren been on buying Toyotas engine unit, as Mercedes looks like increasing their stake in Brawn. McLaren is building their own super car (the P11) and that does not sit well with the Mercedes board. Sad as it may seem for McLaren Mercedes fans, its still good news for the soon to be out of work Toyota F1 engine guys.
RacingForIndia is offline   Reply With Quote