Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 19th November 2009, 11:30   #136
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing it for the first time that hiring a driver depends on the sponsorship he brings!

A very competitive sport like F1 needs best of machine & man (driver)!
I don't any of the teams will compromise on their driver just because of the sponsorship!
Also, in this sport, more success = more sponsorships = more money!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:36   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
McLaren Rulez,

The driver market situation doesn't seem to be driven by skills/talent/ability but by shadowy sponsors in the background. Why else would a Ferrari accept Alonso when they have two established drivers under contract? Its not as if Alonso is miles ahead of Kimi or Massa, potentially. Big money rules.
Well firstly, let's leave cricket out since I hardly follow cricket. Coming to F1, yes big money rules and it always has. Sponsors, PR, etc. are part of F1. They don't diminish the sporting value of F1. In fact, the presence of sponsors is the reason why there is so much cash in F1. And that translates to more global interest, better engineers, better drivers and better teams. Motorsport is unique in a sense that it cannot sustain itself without sponsors. That's hardly a reason to question its credentials as a sport. At the end of the day, when you turn on your TV on Sunday, you see a bunch of incredible athletes pushing each other as hard as they can. You see how a top team has thousands of people working towards one goal: To beat the other teams. That should be good enough for anyone.

Mercedes have already said they don't necessarily want an all German line up. For McLaren, it was the sheer value of Button's offer compared to Kimi's exorbitant demands that made the difference. Teams like Super Aguri tried being nationalistic and ended up as supreme failures. So nationalism merely appears to make a difference. In reality, most teams would want to be seen as international. A truly international team is one that gets more sponsors.

As for Kimi himself, the reason why he didn't get a Ferrari drive is down to sponsors. But he has only himself to blame for not having a drive anywhere else. Had he dropped his demands a little bit, he could have had that McLaren seat. He could still get a seat in any team if he wants to. But he resolutely asks for more than what he's worth (whether that be in terms of money, or PR work, or freedom to pursue other things). That's why he's out. He is, to put it bluntly, overrated and is simply not worth that salary for any team. Believe me, his contract would probably have not been renewed in 2011.

Sponsors may alter things in the market slightly, but you'll never see them completely influence it like your Indian mafia example. Top drivers will remain in top teams and average drivers in average teams. The reason is simple: If a top team hires a crap driver based on sponsors alone, they will perform poorly in the WDC and the WCC and will no longer have sponsors in the subsequent year.

Hope you enjoy the next season.

EDIT: Oh and autosport is reporting on the Kimi to Mercedes move. Interestingly, it quotes Robertson, Kimi's manager, as saying Kimi's not interested in the money. PR speak for Kimi dropping his demands? autosport.com - F1 News: Raikkonen would consider Mercedes

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 19th November 2009 at 11:47.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 12:57   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I am hearing it for the first time that hiring a driver depends on the sponsorship he brings!

A very competitive sport like F1 needs best of machine & man (driver)!
I don't any of the teams will compromise on their driver just because of the sponsorship!
Also, in this sport, more success = more sponsorships = more money!
It depends, most of the midfield/back marker teams depend on these kind of sponsorships. Thats why you saw drivers like Nakajima etc. On purely skill alone i don't think these drivers would last long in F1.

Even if F1 is about the best machines and best drivers, the teams need sponsorship to survive here. Driver sponsorship is one type of sponsorship.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:10   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

I dont watch cricket. I cannot spend my man hours earning nothing and the players earn handsomely even for loosing. phew.
Same here, I have quit Cricket from the time our players were caught for a scam!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:24   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
EDIT: Oh and autosport is reporting on the Kimi to Mercedes move. Interestingly, it quotes Robertson, Kimi's manager, as saying Kimi's not interested in the money. PR speak for Kimi dropping his demands? autosport.com - F1 News: Raikkonen would consider Mercedes
and now he says hes not interested in the money. he had his foot in his mouth when he was in talks with McLaren and now that they've shown him the door, he drops his demands.
I'm a huge fan of his driving but not his attitude.hope he does not vanish away from the F1 circus.
having said that, I don't mind seeing him drive a Force India.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 13:46   #141
Senior - BHPian

Source: Atlas F1

Brazilian Sport TV reports Kimi has signed a 1-year contract with Merc!
Kimi Raikkonen signs with Mercedes
Globoesporte.com, 18/11/09

Agreement comes after signing of Jenson Button, who will race for McLaren. The Mercedes hit with Finland's Kimi Raikkonen for the 2010 season of Formula 1. The revelation was made by journalist Lito Cavalcanti, the SporTV, on the afternoon of Wednesday.

The agreement was closed the same day that Jenson Button confirmed that it would be the team's German manufacturer, which bought GP Brawn and changed the team name. The reigning drivers' championship was officially announced at McLaren in 2010 also on Wednesday.

The hiring of Raikkonen, winner of the F-1 in 2007, bringing an end to rumors that the Finn will not drive the most important category of motor racing in 2010. On Wednesday, his manager told the British newspaper "The Independent" that Raikkonen, frustrated by not getting the McLaren draw holiday Formula 1.

The Finn, so it will once again drive a car driven by engines of German factory. In his time with McLaren, from 2002 to 2006, the British team used engines from Mercedes.

Something is already out! I just pray & hope its true and I see this man race in 2010!

Last edited by anachronix : 19th November 2009 at 13:47.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:51   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well firstly, let's leave cricket out since I hardly follow cricket. Coming to F1, yes big money rules and it always has. [/url]
I respectfully disagree.

Regards

Last edited by Eddy : 19th November 2009 at 15:18. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post for a one liner reply. It makes readability difficult for our mobile users. Thanks
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

get a load of this. Big Mac Schumacher could drive for mercedes GP. these are only speculations and not a confirmation of sorts. but think about it. Big Mac got nothing to lose and only to gain. mercedes can still hold on to their 'all german team' tag and yet learn a ton of things from Schu and the biggest of them all is his return to his master- Ross Brawn.

Schumacher to quit Ferrari F1 role for Mercedes GP seat? | F1 News | Nov 2009 | Crash.Net

Schumacher linked to new Mercedes F1 team
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:49   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
get a load of this. Big Mac Schumacher could drive for mercedes GP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Brazilian Sport TV reports Kimi has signed a 1-year contract with Merc!
The rate at which speculation is up on Merc's driver lineup, maybe now even E. Irvine will be linked with them

I guess we can only wait and see.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 14:49   #145
MCR
BHPian

^^ Yes. That rumour has stayed for quiet sometime now. So will it be like this:
Mercedes GP - Driver No.1 : Nico Rosberg.
Driver No.2 : Kimi Raikonnen or Micheal Schumacher.
Test driver : Nick Heidfield.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 09:02   #146
MCR
BHPian

Piquet says 'close' to Force India deal - Top Stories - Racing - Sports - The Times of India

OMG
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 15:04   #147
BHPian

I want to win another Title - Kimi says - The Official Formula 1 Website

Kimi in a Mercedes GP car next season? Doesn't quite look like it. But then you never know how things turn n F1.

Remember Button and Barrichello didn't have a car to drive until 4 weeks before the start of the 2009 season.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

Nobby Haug has confirmed in german news that he was contacted by Robertsons! Lets see how it goes.

But, Subaru & Citreon are already in talks with the Iceman for a WRC drive!
Old 20th November 2009, 16:48   #149
BHPian

Red face

Paul di Resta to test Force India

Paul di Resta will make his formula one debut at the young driver test at Jerez, Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell reports.

The 23-year-old Scot, who races with Mercedes in the DTM series, will reportedly drive the Mercedes-powered Force India car during the early December session. He reportedly had a seat fitting at the team's Silverstone headquarters early this week.

Force India has not confirmed its 2010 driver lineup, and a year ago it was rumoured that Mercedes was keen to see di Resta given a race seat.

Source : Onestopstrategy
r@CYR@y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:54   #150
BHPian

Kimi asking for more money is purely media speculation . There has been no statement either from Kimi's manager or Mclaren that talks broke down over the amount of money.
IMHO Jenson Button was there at the right place in the right time . He was British (Vodafone would love that ) , he was world champion and would bring the number 1 to the mclaren car at the same time it was a case of Mclaren stealing Jenson from under the nose of Merc who have just divorced them .
All Kimi wants is a winning car and that is about the only demand of his that is official .
His manager's talk about money not being the issue can be seen as a clarification .

This is my personal opinion .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote