Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 18th November 2009, 19:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Surprise + All German lineup = "Dear God,this past 1 week has seen so many twists and turns in F1;So please grant us one last TWIST,even if its far fetched"
That's not a twist. That's exactly what we're expecting. A great twist would be if Kimi signed up. But its wishful thinking, I'm afraid.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:46   #122
BHPian

Default A sport? That's a joke

F1 is not a sport but a business. A business where behind the scenes deals by wheeler dealers hold the key. Similar to BCCI and the way it runs cricket globally.
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:56   #123
BHPian

Kimi taking 1 year sabbatical too adds up nicely.Hope MercedezGP announce their driver lineup real soon
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:57   #124
BHPian

I still don't understand why Ferrari decided to get rid of Kimi and are now going to pay him $20M for NOT driving for them. :(
What did he do to deserve this expensive aversion?

My only wish for next year: I want Massa to trounce Alonso next year.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 19:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
F1 is not a sport but a business. A business where behind the scenes deals by wheeler dealers hold the key.
Is that you, Mr. Sports Minsiter?

But hey, if you really don't like it, you don't have to watch it. As for me, I enjoy it and I think its a fantastic sport.
Old 18th November 2009, 20:10   #126
BHPian

Request to desist from personal comments, especially toward me.

F1 is not a sport anymore - Alonso got in because Banco Santander are now sponsors of the Ferrari F1 team.
If a Kimi can't find a place in a team, one can draw one's own conclusions.

The BCCI is also run similarly- for earning money.
Old 18th November 2009, 20:11   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I still don't understand why Ferrari decided to get rid of Kimi and are now going to pay him $20M for NOT driving for them. :(
What did he do to deserve this expensive aversion?
Isn't it $17m?

Quote:
My only wish for next year: I want Massa to trounce Alonso next year.
Oh how I wish that too! But thats unlikely to hapen. I think Massa will beat Alonso at a few races (watch for 'fonso fireworks then ) but no way will he trounce him. Alonso - the driver - is just too good for that.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:23   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Isn't it $17m?
Well, nobody knows the actual number, but that is not the point. Even without driving, he is reportedly the highest paid driver next year too. So question is why Ferrari did what they did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Oh how I wish that too! But thats unlikely to hapen. I think Massa will beat Alonso at a few races (watch for 'fonso fireworks then ) but no way will he trounce him. Alonso - the driver - is just too good for that.
Can't we at least hope for that?
Alonso is good, but didn't we see Lewis beating him in 2007 in his rookie year. Massa who is already 'at home' in Ferrari might fancy his chances against Alonso.
But the bigger unknown is Massa's pace after his accident.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 18th November 2009 at 20:25.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:38   #129
BHPian

kimi is out from 2010 grid and button has a confirmed place in mclaren
himanshukalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request to desist from personal comments, especially toward me.
Its a joke dude. I thought the smileys emphasized that. Take it the right way.

But I certainly think F1 is a fine sport. The driver market situation does not alter that.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 18th November 2009 at 20:55.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:06   #131
Senior - BHPian

Sad that Kimi won't be racing F1 next year!

I guess his lacklustre performance in the last two seasons except for the last few races took the toll.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 22:20   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post

I guess his lacklustre performance in the last two seasons except for the last few races took the toll.
Also he just wanna race for a competitive team which can go for championship title(Merc or Mclaren).
himanshukalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 10:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Sad that Kimi won't be racing F1 next year!
Wait wait wait!! Several sources are reporting a Kimi to Merc move.

Kimi Raikkonen To Race For Mercedes In 2010 | Bleacher Report

But is it merely a case of
Attached Images

Old 19th November 2009, 10:53   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Its a joke dude. I thought the smileys emphasized that. Take it the right way.

But I certainly think F1 is a fine sport. The driver market situation does not alter that.
McLaren Rulez,

The driver market situation doesn't seem to be driven by skills/talent/ability but by shadowy sponsors in the background. Why else would a Ferrari accept Alonso when they have two established drivers under contract? Its not as if Alonso is miles ahead of Kimi or Massa, potentially. Big money rules.

An extreme ( hypothetical) example would be an Indian politico/drug mafia with masses of money promoting his son/nephew for an F1 seat. I won't be surprised if that happens sooner rather than later

BCCI is also being run the same way- to only earn money for its controllers. Soon cricket as we know it will die out, to be replaced by a crude, nautanki-fied, Bollywoodish, lumpenised spectacle. All of us will soon watch the cheerleaders rather than watch a highly skilled batman negotiate a highly skilled fast bowler on a fast bowling track.

Unfortunately for Kimi, Mercedes-Brawn also seem to have (subject to confirmation) fallen into the parochial trap: German born drivers for German cars.

Purists always lose out in such situations. Let's hope better sense and wiser counsel prevails.

Regards
Old 19th November 2009, 11:04   #135
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
McLaren Rulez,

The driver market situation doesn't seem to be driven by skills/talent/ability but by shadowy sponsors in the background. Why else would a Ferrari accept Alonso when they have two established drivers under contract? Its not as if Alonso is miles ahead of Kimi or Massa, potentially. Big money rules.

An extreme ( hypothetical) example would be an Indian politico/drug mafia with masses of money promoting his son/nephew for an F1 seat. I won't be surprised if that happens sooner rather than later

BCCI is also being run the same way- to only earn money for its controllers. Soon cricket as we know it will die out, to be replaced by a crude, nautanki-fied, Bollywoodish, lumpenised spectacle. All of us will soon watch the cheerleaders rather than watch a highly skilled batman negotiate a highly skilled fast bowler on a fast bowling track.

Unfortunately for Kimi, Mercedes-Brawn also seem to have (subject to confirmation) fallen into the parochial trap: German born drivers for German cars.

Purists always lose out in such situations. Let's hope better sense and wiser counsel prevails.

Regards
+1 on that. It looks like money is the main thing controlling F1. The Ferrari-Alonso deal is a clear indicator. Banco-Santander wanted a Spanish driver and forced Ferrari to remove Raikonnen.
Same thing in Force India F1, Adrian Sutil and Luizi will be in good books untill they bring in the money from the sponsors. Other really good drivers will keep losing out because of no money or sponsorship.

Narian Karthikeyan had to struggle to get sponsors for his F1 drive. But it turned out to be a debacle.

I dont watch cricket. I cannot spend my man hours earning nothing and the players earn handsomely even for loosing. phew.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote