Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 20th October 2009, 11:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

We cannot say that person death's is good for sports. Schumi's car was rumored to be with electronics in the GP where Senna died. I am not against Schumacher, after all Schumacher is the man who gave perfect definition of what is " Professionalism ".
Can you please expand on the words I have marked in bold. I do not quite follow the sentence.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Can you please expand on the words I have marked in bold. I do not quite follow the sentence.
Read this on the net and Auto India ( ACI editor was working with AutoIndia before he left and started ACI ).

It is rumored that the race in which Senna died, Schumacher's car was running with some electronics that allowed him to control the car better. Schumacher's pace was mounting pressure on Senna. Senna started pushing over the limit and eventually crashed.

Some say that if Schumacher's car did not have electronics, then Senna would have never crashed. The theories that F1 is a very disciplined sport was in doubt ( and after the comments by Bernie I have no doubt on that ).

This is what I had read.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 12:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think he meant Senna's death made more people aware of F1. As it was widely publicised and was a talking point amongst everyone.

I remember an article by a Brazilian Reporter - He mentioned he "knew" about F1 then but was not a fan. But after Senna's death - a very fast rising star then he was drawn to the sport. Other then the footbal demigods they didn't have much of a presence in other sports.

Coming back to Bernie's quote, well it must be some masala added by the news agancies now to stir some well..nonsense.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 16:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read this on the net and Auto India ( ACI editor was working with AutoIndia before he left and started ACI ).

It is rumored that the race in which Senna died, Schumacher's car was running with some electronics that allowed him to control the car better. Schumacher's pace was mounting pressure on Senna. Senna started pushing over the limit and eventually crashed.

Some say that if Schumacher's car did not have electronics, then Senna would have never crashed. The theories that F1 is a very disciplined sport was in doubt ( and after the comments by Bernie I have no doubt on that ).

This is what I had read.
Suggest you read more. There are a lot of conspiracy theories on Senna's death. Schumacher's car had illegal launch control, it was helpful only for starts, not to increase pace during race. For that, there was Schumacher himself.

Suggest you also search for a piece on the net, which talks about how rattled Senna was, after the death of Roland Ratzenberger and did not really want to drive that day.

Last edited by kuttapan : 20th October 2009 at 16:38.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some say that if Schumacher's car did not have electronics, then Senna would have never crashed.
That's a bit far fetched. Even if those rumours of illegal electronics were true, its still an extrapolation too far to say Schumacher/Benetton's actions led to Senna's crash and death.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow, talk about taking something so far. Now Michael Schumacher is blamed for Senna's death lol
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bernie is perfectly right. It's just that he could have used better words, or better still, not used any words at all. Reminds of the incident where he said he admired Hitler.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Wow, talk about taking something so far. Now Michael Schumacher is blamed for Senna's death lol
Really! And then I guess Bernie et al. will be next in line for blame.

C'mon guys, even Williams were exonerated. Lets stick to the topic.

Bernie's put his foot firmly into his mouth with this statement of his. I wonder whether he'll take it out now and then what will spew out?
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

:roll eyes: What a moron!! Somebody should put this midget in an F1 car with a missing nose cone and a bomb set to go off if the revs fall below 18,000 rpm. And a Brazilian lynch mob waiting at the finishing line would be a nice touch.

Then, I am sure all this masala will be good for F1.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 22:38   #25
BHPian

The headlines, as they often are, are a bit misleading. He didn't actually say "Senna's death was good for F1".

He said that Senna was unfortunate but there was a lot of publicity generated by the death and the publicity benefited F1. He also said that it was a shame that Senna died.

As he must have now found out, it was a very difficult thought to express without sounding insensitive and that's what happened here.

Motorsport.com: News channel
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 22:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Suggest you read more. There are a lot of conspiracy theories on Senna's death. Schumacher's car had illegal launch control, it was helpful only for starts, not to increase pace during race. For that, there was Schumacher himself.

Suggest you also search for a piece on the net, which talks about how rattled Senna was, after the death of Roland Ratzenberger and did not really want to drive that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
That's a bit far fetched. Even if those rumours of illegal electronics were true, its still an extrapolation too far to say Schumacher/Benetton's actions led to Senna's crash and death.
1) I am aware of Roland Ratzenberger. Max Mosely attended Roland's funeral as other did attend Ayrton's funeral. This is not news to me. I have read this much before.

2) Have a loot at this then :

Which ‘blatantly illegal car’ won a championship? | F1 Fanatic - The Formula 1 Blog

Article :
Quote:
I’ve long enjoyed Nigel Roebuck’s writings on Formula 1 and I’ll miss my weekly dose of the ‘Fifth Column’ and ‘Ask Nigel’ when he departs Autosport for Motor Sport next year. His final ‘Ask Nigels’ have been especially entertaining but this startling claim really caught my eye:
Anyone in the paddock, for example, will tell you that one year – no, I’m not saying which – the world championship was won by a blatantly illegal car.
So… which year, and which car?
A couple of contenders spring to mind. Roebuck has often insinuating that the 1981 Brabham that powered Nelson Piquet to the world championship ran underweight on occasions – notably at Monaco, where Piquet pipped Roebuck’s favourite Gilles Villeneuve to pole position.

Bitter debates have also raged over the legality of the 1994 Benetton-Ford in which Michael Schumacher won the drivers’ championship. It was found to have a hidden traction control system, and the team was also investigated for making illegal modifications to their refuelling systems.
Prior to the return of traction control in 2001 Max Mosley claimed that at least one team had been illegally using such a system, but did not state which.
So M.Schumacher's was rumored to have TRACTION CONTROL which was illegal.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 22:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) I am aware of Roland Ratzenberger. Max Mosely attended Roland's funeral as other did attend Ayrton's funeral. This is not news to me. I have read this much before.

2) Have a loot at this then :

Which ‘blatantly illegal car’ won a championship? | F1 Fanatic - The Formula 1 Blog

Article :

So M.Schumacher's was rumored to have TRACTION CONTROL which was illegal.
Nobody is arguing about the legality of Schumacher's Benetton. However, using the argument that it caused Senna's death is absolutely stupid and hilarious. By that argument, everytime anyone in any sport gets injured, everyone else on the field should be handcuffed and thrown in jail for causing the said injury.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
By that argument, everytime anyone in any sport gets injured, everyone else on the field should be handcuffed and thrown in jail for causing the said injury.
Like Barrichello for the spring?
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote