Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 16th November 2009, 14:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mercedes to buy Brawn and rename it EDIT: Now called Mercedes Benz Grand Prix

'Brawn to confirm Merc, Rosberg and Heidfeld' - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Its pretty big news and the important bit is that either Jenson Button or Kimi Raikkonen are gonna be left out in the cold, if Heidfeld does get the Merc drive.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 16th November 2009 at 14:09.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 14:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa, this is HUGE! Brawn, the man himself, and Brawn GP the team, obviously created an impression on Mercedes (as they did the entire world with their startling debut). The key question is : Will they ditch their relationship / stake with Mclaren?

How much does this have to do with Ron Dennis' departure? Does Mercedes have more faith in Ross Brawn than Mclaren as things stand today? I think so.

Mercedes + Brawn have the potential to evolve into a dominating force. All the better for the guys in Stuttgart, BMW only just bid adieu to F1!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 14:35   #3
BHPian

This is insane.IMO,

1) Poor button ( i feel he should move to Mclaren now )
2) Mercedes pushing German drivers inspite of champion Button. it looks so political
3) I am sure Ross brawn is going to be handicapped & work as an employee for Mercedes
4) Fate of Mclaren is a thing to watch
5) Kimi is gona be orphan

God ! I feel there's lot more heads to roll in the comming months
motor spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 14:55   #4
BHPian

Well. Mercedes has been one of the longest engine partners Mclaren has ever had and they wouldnt be pulling out just yet, so that probably coupled with the exit of Ron Dennis, the team also needs some fresh impetus in the form of new team principal, a new driver (probably a world champion) to partner their existing world champion to become the 2010 World Champs all over again. It would be a dream finish for 2010 if Mclaren Mercedes wins with either Lewis or Jenson/ Kimi (choice is yet to be made) and the other driver comes second. And the team walks away with the team honours. Wow. What says you guys.
rhenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 14:58   #5
BHPian

huge news. i dont know why it is becoming location specific. german team buys and only german drivers. :-(
madhukar_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:00   #6
BHPian

Whoa! this is HUGE news!

I guess Mercedes will continue with MacLaren till their contract expires and then not renew it. What will the driver lineup be? I'm not sure whether either Button and Kimi will be without a race seat after this, with 3 seats still up for grabs. If anything, now Brawn (Mercedes?) will be able to offer more to their drivers.

A quick google search showed me that Brawn GP might be renamed as Mercedes. Unfortunately cannot open any sports related websites at office (a good thing me thinks).
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

21st of November has been indicated as a D-Day in the F1 circle... Watch out for more

I have also read rumours about Mclaren in the process of building their own engines! Silly season...!?
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I have also read rumours about Mclaren in the process of building their own engines! Silly season...!?
Well I, for one, would love to see Macca go completely in house like Ferrari. Anyway, for the next few years, little will change as McLaren can definitely buy the Merc engines and would be on an equal plane to what Brawn, Force India etc. were this year. The engine aspect is a bit further into the future.

The immediate question is what happens to the driver line-up. McLaren now have a great negotiating tool since they've the last front running seat (assuming the Heidfeld rumour is true) and two WDCs are without a drive.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:28   #9
BHPian

That's a bolt big time ! VM are you listening ? an Indian driver atleast now ??
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:30   #10
BHPian

Now we know why Kimi-McLaren deal is not announced yet, and why Button took a tour of McLaren facilities.
Mercedes has suddenly become the key to many possibilities.

Earlier McLaren had given a contract to Kimi, but Kimi/his management haven't accepted it because of some key issues. Some of them are supposedly related to the less PR work/personal freedom for rallying etc which Kimi wants, but I think the most important bit is about McLaren-Mercedes partnership. Kimi is not going to join McLaren, if Mercedes leaves McLaren before 2011.

But i have doubts about Mercedes wanting to have both Rosberg and Heidfeld. Picking drivers just based on nationality isn't good for F1. Best for Mercedes is to persuade Kimi to join them, instead of picking Heidfeld. It looks like Button is already out of favor with them, they definitely aren't going to agree to his demands for increase in pay.

So from all this, Button looks like the biggest loser, in spite of being a reigning WDC.
If he joins McLaren, it would be a career suicide. I don't think he stands a chance at beating Hamilton there. Mercedes-Brawn don't rate Button highly, so even if he stays in Brawn, Rosberg may be their preferred driver.
If McLaren lose Mercedes as their engine partner, then they won't get Kimi either, so it's going to be a double loss for them. And Kimi also may find himself out of F1, if that happens.

I don't remember when was the last time two of the WDC aren't sure about their next year's plans, so late in the year.
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Earlier McLaren had given a contract to Kimi, but Kimi/his management haven't accepted it because of some key issues. Some of them are supposedly related to the less PR work/personal freedom for rallying etc which Kimi wants, but I think the most important bit is about McLaren-Mercedes partnership. Kimi is not going to join McLaren, if Mercedes leaves McLaren before 2011.
For one, Merc buying Brawn does not mean that the engines that they supply to ordinary customer teams like McLaren and Force India are inferior in any way. By contract, they must supply identical engines to all partners. The only teams that 'buy' inferior engines are low budget teams that cannot afford the new engines.

Additionally, if, and this is a big if, Merc break off their relationship with McLaren, then McLaren will be getting a handsome sum that will naturally go into their own engine development program.

Merc quitting McLaren is hardly a problem, least of all in the immediate future. I'm pretty certain Kimi wants to drive for McLaren. McLaren, equally, would be happy to have Kimi given his past there and the undeniable fact that he's a fast driver. The only issue appears to be his salary.

As for Button, he may well sqeeze Kimi out if the salary dispute continues. The upshot for him is that he's assured of getting a decent car and a salary he wants for next year. The downside? Lewis Hamilton will, in all likelihood, destroy his chances of another title.

EDIT: As we speak, Norbert Haug is giving credence to the Heidfeld rumour. Haug admits Merc interest in Heidfeld - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 16th November 2009 at 16:56.
Old 16th November 2009, 16:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hope we can have a McLaren-Honda again?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 17:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
For one, Merc buying Brawn does not mean that the engines that they supply to ordinary customer teams like McLaren and Force India are inferior in any way. By contract, they must supply identical engines to all partners. The only teams that 'buy' inferior engines are low budget teams that cannot afford the new engines.

Additionally, if, and this is a big if, Merc break off their relationship with McLaren, then McLaren will be getting a handsome sum that will naturally go into their own engine development program.

Merc quitting McLaren is hardly a problem, least of all in the immediate future. I'm pretty certain Kimi wants to drive for McLaren. McLaren, equally, would be happy to have Kimi given his past there and the undeniable fact that he's a fast driver. The only issue appears to be his salary.

As for Button, he may well sqeeze Kimi out if the salary dispute continues. The upshot for him is that he's assured of getting a decent car and a salary he wants for next year. The downside? Lewis Hamilton will, in all likelihood, destroy his chances of another title.
I agree that McLaren can continue to buy Merc engines, but McLaren will no longer be Mercedes's primary interest. This will definitely have some impact on McLaren. Guys like Haug will no longer be directly associated with McLaren as they are now.

So my take on this is, Kimi and his management are playing a waiting game as of now. They want Mercedes to announce their plan first, then Kimi can decide to accept McLaren's offer or leave F1 altogether.

McLaren have already sent a contract to Kimi. It is now in Kimi's hands to accept it or not. However, I don't think the issue is about salary. It is about things like less PR work and freedom to participate in rallies during free time. I think, unless McLaren give that freedom, Kimi is not going to sign.

Button will be McLaren's second choice, if Kimi doesn't join them.

Quote:
EDIT: As we speak, Norbert Haug is giving credence to the Heidfeld rumour. Haug admits Merc interest in Heidfeld - Planet-F1 News - from planet-f1.com
Interesting quote from Haug there.
If you remember, few weeks back Haug had said something like "We aren't interested in signing drivers who are out there looking for more money". Everybody assumed he was talking on behalf of McLaren and about Kimi's demands. But, I think he made that statements on behalf of Mercedes team (not McLaren) and about Button's salary hike demands and not Kimi.

Edit:
It's Brawn Mercedes now!
BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Mercedes takes ownership of Brawn

Last edited by SilentEngine : 16th November 2009 at 17:32. Reason: BBC link
Old 16th November 2009, 17:41   #14
BHPian

yea they are more keen on getting Heidfeld on board, keeping in mind he is a german..
Formula 1 complete - all access F1 - Haug confirms Mercedes talks with Heidfeld

The seat could be possibly shared with Rosberg, Leaving Kimi aloof?

EDIT : McLaren and Mercedes announce long-term strategy
Key outputs
1) Mercedes-Benz: to power McLaren’s Formula 1 cars until 2015
2) McLaren Group: to purchase Daimler AG’s 40 per cent shareholding
3) McLaren Automotive: spun out of the McLaren Group

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 16th November 2009 at 17:54. Reason: Mclaren/Merc deal
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 17:56   #15
BHPian

McLaren-Mercedes announce long term engine deal till 2015
McLAREN AND MERCEDES-BENZ ANNOUNCE REALIGNED LONG-TERM STRATEGIC ALLIANCE - Vodafone McLaren Mercedes News

At least now, can we see some action in driver market?