Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 12th August 2005, 13:52   #1
BHPian

Default F1 to get an Indian Team? (rumour btw)

Okie this is a rumour. But still it says tata is behind this. From 1 lakh car to F1 car... what ratan tata is upto???
Or is it narain gone crazy after losing the jordan 2006 seat?

Quote:
(GMM) Narain Karthikeyan did not deny a rumour that his F1 sponsor, Tata, is considering setting up an Indian formula one team.

The $14 billion Tata Group, one of the biggest business conglomerates in the hugely populous country, has been a staunch backer of Indian rookie Karthikeyan's maiden year in the sport with Jordan.

Asked about the reports, the 28-year-old said in India: ''This is just a rumour. If it comes true, it will be good. That's quite a while away.''

Further strengthening the notion of Tata's support for Narain, the slight-looking driver continued to muse about a switch to a different team for 2006. ''I haven't ruled out turning up for a new team,'' he told a news conference.

Karthikeyan also rekindled talk about an Indian grand prix, revealing that he would soon meet with government minister J. Jayalalithaa to discuss support for the concept.

''Without help from the government,'' the Jordan ace mused, ''it's mission impossible.

''If China can have one, why not India?''
Link is here

Last edited by gkrishn : 12th August 2005 at 13:54.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 14:42   #2
BANNED

That'll be the day.
Though I find it strange.. that a country like ours that dosn't have the cajone's to keep a person in the Cricket team after a horrible showing in just one series will ever be able to keep a formula one team... where it takes years and years and years to win a single point... I know this is a rumor but not in my lifetime pal
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 20:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of NK, why does the guy show up to all PR events dressed in his racing suit?? I've seen many a PR event with F1 drivers and they showup with a decent shirt with a team logo on it. Even Alex Barros showed up in India for the Unicorn launch...not in his skin tight leathers.

NK probably thinks that he needs to constanty remind people that he's a F1 driver. Sorry to go but I had to let this out.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2005, 20:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
NK probably thinks that he needs to constanty remind people that he's a F1 driver. Sorry to go but I had to let this out.
Rather queer observation, I must say.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2005, 00:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of NK, why does the guy show up to all PR events dressed in his racing suit??
MPOWER...Here you go......NK in a nice clean shirt....

Cheers!!!

Last edited by gr8guzzler : 13th August 2005 at 01:16.
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 00:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Guzzler. Its my lucky day to get a darshan of NK without his usual garb.
Old 14th August 2005, 02:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guzzler. Its my lucky day to get a darshan of NK without his usual garb.
just couldn't resist putting it up after I saw it....I think you're just being hard on that guy....give him a couple of years and I'm sure you'll find a more media savvy NK...

Cheers!!!
gr8guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 09:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of NK, why does the guy show up to all PR events dressed in his racing suit?? I've seen many a PR event with F1 drivers and they showup with a decent shirt with a team logo on it. Even Alex Barros showed up in India for the Unicorn launch...not in his skin tight leathers.

I dont think that is being fair - NK shows up in his racing attire because of his commitment to his sponsors. He makes it a point to give them visibility whenever he can, even if it involves discomfort on his part. I dont think its very comfortable under all those leathers and synthetics in our hot climate...or maybe thats his way of staying slim - built in sauna!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 10:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the shot of Sachin and Shumi in Silverstone on race Saturday. Schumi has just taken pole and this was in the Ferrari garage.