Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2010, 17:37   #106
BHPian

OT: Why is Schumi hiding in the 2nd pic
Old 15th March 2010, 17:49   #107
Team-BHP Support

Way to go Ferrari !!

Finally this confidence inspiring race by Ferrari has set some hopes to its fans that they stand a good chance to win this season.

We dont want anything less. 1-2 position in the final points at end of season
Old 15th March 2010, 17:49   #108
BHPian

By the way if it was at the end of the race it was almost end of fuel too and the qualifying time (with similar fuel loads) was full 4.5 seconds faster than the best lap Alonso did and so there is nothing very good about. if you see the times second fastest is sutil but finished 12th in the race so fastest lap really doesn't count

PS: you seem to be reading too much into reviews written by James allen i guess .
If rosberg couldn't pass handicapped car of vettel in one lap i guess it would have been impossible for Alonso to do it if rb car was fine; my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
I mean sure the redbull has been better with the soft tyres on but when the hard tyres came on alonso was definitely looking better... Also if you look at his lap times towards the end around lap 45 he set a fastest lap of 1:58.287 which was a staggering one second faster than anyone else on the grid...
Old 15th March 2010, 17:53   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
^^ woah were you there? are you in the pic :-)

Would be really nice If I could deserve a place in that picture!

That group picture has some big names from F1 (read champions) since the 60 years anniversary celebration was on in Bahrain.

Back row (left to right): Fernando Alonso (2005, 2006); Sir Jack Brabham (1959, 1960, 1966); Michael Schumacher (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004); Emerson Fittipaldi (1972, 1974); Lewis Hamilton (2008); Mika Hakkinen (1998, 1999); Damon Hill (1996). Middle row (left to right): Niki Lauda (1975, 1977, 1984); Keke Rosberg (1982); Mario Andretti (1978); Sir Jackie Stewart (1969, 1971, 1973); Alain Prost (1985, 1986, 1989, 1993); Jacques Villeneuve (1997); John Surtees (1964). Front row (left to right) Alan Jones (1980); Nigel Mansell (1992); His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, Bernie Ecclestone, Jody Scheckter (1979); Jenson Button (2009).

Sourced from TSF Forums

Last edited by anachronix : 15th March 2010 at 17:55.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:41   #110
BHPian

Ooh. I see some sour grapes here Unfortunately for Ferrari/Alonso haters, that will be the trend for this year. Doesn't matter if you have the fastest car on the grid, if it is nowhere as reliable as your main rivals. Ask Kimi about the 2005 season and he will tell loads about reliability.
Massa will come good in the next few races and win some. I think the drivers were very cautious not to damage the tires and probably didn't push their cars to the limits.

Aussie GP will be different as the teams would have known the fuel consumption and tire wear in an actual race scenario and the drivers will be pushing more.

And for people expecting race pace to be equal to qualifying runs, sorry dude, it just doesn't happen that way. They are always considerably slower than qualifying runs. The only way to compare would be the fastest lap of the next competitor, which BTW was a full second slower and was set on the last lap

Last edited by SchumiFan : 15th March 2010 at 21:53. Reason: Adding content
Old 16th March 2010, 03:40   #111
BHPian

Default Dare I say BORING??

The first race was a BORE. Frankly.

The new rules and regulations in my opinion have made the race a bit boring for me. Hope this is not the case for the rest of the season. The no fuel pits stops were not as exciting as the earlier ones which gave team a chance to strategise and keep each other and us guessing.

The heavily laden cars at the start robbed them of the nip and tuck raids at the start of the corner.

Fernando Alonso has impressed me no end with his drive at Renault placing a dog of a car in places it had no right to be. Ferrari has this season tied up if they maintain this level of performance in their car. Fernando will do the rest.

Heartbreak for Vettel. I really like this guy - always ready to compliment other drivers. No whining, asks for no quarter just get on with the job.

Schumi is back and in 6th. Nice.

i hope teams spice things up a bit. I hope Bahrain in terms of exciting racing was an aberration not a sign of things in the rest of this season.

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:29   #112
Team-BHP Support

Boring race to be honest. But, Alonso showed that he is clearly the best driver out there. Great performance indeed. IMO, this is a sign of things to come. Alonso might well run away with the championship this year. I felt happy for Stefano Domenicali. Poor fellow has gone though a lot.
McLaren seems OK but not fast enough.
Sad to see Vettel drop to 4th. Hope Red Bull gives him a more reliable car.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
btw, didn't Massa change his engine before the race? why wasn't he penalized for that? whats going on? jean todt effect?
The rules are different this season. Teams get a total of 8 engines this season and them can use them as per their requirements.

Come on, you cant expect Jean Todt to be partial to a specific team. He is the top guy in FIA!
Old 16th March 2010, 10:36   #114
BHPian

Smile

Heartening to see Ferrari back at 1-2 after a long gap. I felt the race was bit dull and hope it would light up in future races. Personally, i felt that the charm of F1 gets killed in asian or middle east locations except for Japan. We all grew up watching F1 in the exotic european locations. Even the spectators in the stands were part of our F1 experience through TV.

Remember the spectators blowing those horns as schumi or mika or kimi or any other great drivers got out of the pits for their laps during qualifying, or while overtaking during the race or during the victory laps.Now, with increasing number of races into the new places with no history or much passion for the F1, the silence from the stands is horrible. Just look at the Bahrain GP, the stands were empty, no passion or life..The cars were just running around like mechanical creatures in a barren land.

Compare that with the scene in the Spa or Hockenheim..We need F1 and we need it back at the real locations like magny-cours, A1 ring etc..We need those flags waving from the stands, the standing ovations..the passion.

Star Sports commentary needs to get back the combo of Steve Slater & Chris Goodwin. If Steve was the naughty kid in the commentary box, Chris was the affable class teacher. It was wonderful listening to them. Shudder to think how the commentary would have been if Steve was gone too.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:29   #115
BHPian

It was quite boring and predictable. There are mummers about the top guys in F1 considering changes that will make it more exciting. Don't know if they can do it for this season. If they are serious of salvaging the F1 they should make the changes as even the drivers are quite unhappy with the rules this season.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:01   #116
BHPian

My heart really goes for Vettel. He drove superbly till the mechanical problems occured. I'm not a hater of Alonso and rather a fan of Ferrari, but have to say this - the Ferrari pair could not come near Vettel till he got problems. But then again, it's not just the man, it's also the machine. Ask Alonso reagrding the previous two seasons
Old 16th March 2010, 16:20   #117
Senior - BHPian

The race was a bore definitely. And totally agree to what mystic eyes said below.. The stands were totally lifeless. No enthu, nothing. And with the change in rules it made it all the more boring to watch.

+1000 to the below quote. Steve Slater and Chris Goodwin were awesome. The new guy is searching for words in the Bahrain GP and almost dead air most of the times with Steve Slater covering for him and also jumping in at times when the other guy went totally silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
Star Sports commentary needs to get back the combo of Steve Slater & Chris Goodwin. If Steve was the naughty kid in the commentary box, Chris was the affable class teacher. It was wonderful listening to them. Shudder to think how the commentary would have been if Steve was gone too.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:39   #118
BHPian

Post Gary Anderson - F1 car designer / commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Steve Slater and Chris Goodwin were awesome. The new guy is searching for words in the Bahrain GP and almost dead air most of the times with Steve Slater covering for him and also jumping in at times when the other guy went totally silent.
Hi, I think the "new guy" you're referring to is Gary Anderson, who's designed cars for Jordan, Stewart-Racing, & Jaguar (he's currently with Dallara). He's probably the most technically qualified commentator we've had yet, as far as ESPN-StartSports F1 coverage at least. Of course, its unfortunate that he's not that good a commentator. May be he'll open up in the forthcoming races & drop a few pearls (technical ones)

Last edited by im_srini : 16th March 2010 at 16:41.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:52   #119
Senior - BHPian

Ah yes.. Gary Anderson is his name. And yes i am aware he is technically very knowledgeable.. But like you said though he is the most qualified guy technically, he cannot put them to words during a race like Steve & Chris. The combo of Steve & Chris was very good and they complemented each other very well.. But now with Gary being quiet most of the times you only get to listen to Steve.. Not that I am complaining as Steve himself is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, I think the "new guy" you're referring to is Gary Anderson, who's designed cars for Jordan, Stewart-Racing, & Jaguar (he's currently with Dallara). He's probably the most technically qualified commentator we've had yet, as far as ESPN-StartSports F1 coverage at least. Of course, its unfortunate that he's not that good a commentator. May be he'll open up in the forthcoming races & drop a few pearls (technical ones)
Old 16th March 2010, 18:41   #120
BHPian

you will never see a bigger Ferrari fan than me but don't like whiners period no argument on that everybody knows Alonso in one ;

By the way this is my 10th season of watching F1 i guess anybody following for 2 seasons is good enough to know the difference between race and qualifying pace thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Ooh. I see some sour grapes here Unfortunately for Ferrari/Alonso haters, that will be the trend for this year. Doesn't matter if you have the fastest car on the grid, if it is nowhere as reliable as your main rivals. Ask Kimi about the 2005 season and he will tell loads about reliability.
Massa will come good in the next few races and win some. I think the drivers were very cautious not to damage the tires and probably didn't push their cars to the limits.

Aussie GP will be different as the teams would have known the fuel consumption and tire wear in an actual race scenario and the drivers will be pushing more.

And for people expecting race pace to be equal to qualifying runs, sorry dude, it just doesn't happen that way. They are always considerably slower than qualifying runs. The only way to compare would be the fastest lap of the next competitor, which BTW was a full second slower and was set on the last lap

Last edited by raj.barcode : 16th March 2010 at 18:43.
Closed Thread