Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th January 2010, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Default Whom do you support? (F1)

Hello,

Now that schumi is turned up for Merc, Alonso in Ferrari and rest of line up falling in place. Whom do you support or wish to win the maximum races (obvious the championship).

Is it for Schumacher because he is 7 time champ, is it because he was driving for ferrari is it for his driving skills.
Is it Alonso because of his never say die attitude, if it because he drives a ferrari
Or are you a supporter of a team immaterial who individually wins the championship.
Or are you supporting someone else.

For me all these days it was Ferrari, also to the fact that Schumi was in Ferrari driving earlier before Kimi. Now I am in a Dilemma whom to support (though does not make even .00000000000001% of difference).

Whats your call mates?
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 13:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I will be supporting Ferrari for the WCC and Michael for the WDC. Makes it simple for me
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 14:16   #3
BHPian

I will be supporting Ferrari for construction's championship & obviously, Schumi for driver's championship.
But still doubt if Schumi can make a memorable comeback.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 14:23   #4
BHPian

Ferrari all the way! I have been a die hard supporter of them for a decade almost! As for the drivers championship, i will go with Massa. Its about time he wins it! I have a strong feeling it will be a Ferrari season as 2009 was a disaster for them.
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 15:09   #5
BHPian

MS for WDC and Ferrari for WCC

And yes there is a similar thread already
(Formula 1 2010 - who will be World Driver's Champion?)Formula 1 2010 - who will be World Driver's Champion?
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 19:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Well there's folks who would support a driver even if he had no chance of a WDC.

Its easy for me. I'll support whoever is driving for McLaren. I admire drivers many drivers but don't support them unless they're in a McLaren. Between Button and Hamilton, its Lewis all the way.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 01:11   #7
BHPian

For the first time in many years i will be a neutral, no strong support for any driver/team after being a Kimi fan for 7 years. Heck, i don't even think i will be as glued to the TV and live timing screens this time as i used to be earlier.

If at all it will be Kubica, Vettel, Red Bull and Force India who get my support.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 07:29   #8
BHPian

I support Schumi, even if he is not able to fight for WDC, it is simply a pleasure to see him on track. And is comeback has fullfilled my dream to see him racing in person.

I will not be supporting Ferrari this year, even if MS had not returned with Mercedes, I was very much put off to see Cry Baby Alonso at Ferrari.
Evolution_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 08:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

McLaren for the WCC. I've always been a McLaren supporter and will always remain one.
Vettel for the WDC. Underdog. No one seems to be talking about him.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 11:54   #10
BHPian

Its always the Master..I started liking Ferrari only because the Master is driving for them. Untill he retired I couldnt even imagine supporting any other team other than Ferrari and with Kimi replacing Schuey it wasnt any difficult choice for me to whom I should support..

But with Master back at the wheel and the great Ross behind, I would leave myself no choice other than Merc for both WDC and WCC. For me its always the driver rather than the team.

Couple of years back I read this book called Driven to Extremes by James Allen and there is a dedicated chapter about how Macca wooed Schuey with more lucrative offer than what Ferrari offerred to drive for them. Such is the loyalty of the Master he never thought about any other team other than team. But I didnt like the way Ferrari forced him into retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Vettel for the WDC.
He is my next bet after Schuey and Alonso for WDC. He sure will succeed the Master. No wonder he is called "Baby Schumacher".
samabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 14:03   #11
BHPian

Kimi has left so its time to support someone new .
I would be supporting Sebastien Vettel and surprisingly for me Micheal Schumacher (being a Mika Hakkinen fan) .
As for teams I think it would be RedBull or Mercedes but cant make up my mind yet .
Having said that , I am still pretty confused and as such pretty neutral for next season .
KRf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 14:22   #12
BHPian

I stopped watching once Schumi retired , now that he is back , will watch HIM..

WCC or WDC be damned. , Schumi rocks
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 17:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Couple of years back I read this book called Driven to Extremes by James Allen and there is a dedicated chapter about how Macca wooed Schuey with more lucrative offer than what Ferrari offerred to drive for them. Such is the loyalty of the Master he never thought about any other team other than team.
That wasn't really as much to do with loyalty as it was to do with ambition. For one, the culture at McLaren is very different from that at Ferrari. At McLaren, the drivers are seen as employees whose job it is to drive while the team provides the car and takes care of all other operational work.

At Ferrari, Schumacher had the chance to build the team around him and bring in personnel he liked and so on which is widely believed to be the reason why he moved there in the first place.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
That wasn't really as much to do with loyalty as it was to do with ambition. For one, the culture at McLaren is very different from that at Ferrari. At McLaren, the drivers are seen as employees whose job it is to drive while the team provides the car and takes care of all other operational work.
I would disagree with your assumptions here!

Do you think Mclaren drivers or rather any driver in F1 doesnt have a part in developing a car? You might be wrong here mate.

Its the skill of a driver to be able to communicate technically with his engineers who are working at the factory to develop a perfect car and Schumacher almost excelled in this area beyond expectations. His feedback and his attention to detail with the right mix of Ross Brawn & Todt got a winning team.

Read this link Steering wheel - F1technical.net

Check the amount of detail in the steering wheel of the 248F1 compared to that of the BMW Sauber's. Thats the kind of detail that Schumacher could bring in!

Why do you think Mclaren was chasing for Alonso to be with them in 2007? It was just because of his abilities to develop a car. Though I hate him for his mumbling & cry baby stuff, the way he works with his engineers & developing a winning car has been outstanding.

Remember, though his results in Sinapore 08' was manipulated, his victory in Fuji came out of complete merit from a car which sucked big time in 2007 and early 2008. This is what makes great drivers and teams. Not by drivers sleeping with XBOX/PS3!

Quote:
At Ferrari, Schumacher had the chance to build the team around him and bring in personnel he liked and so on which is widely believed to be the reason why he moved there in the first place.
Its not the first time that Ferrari won the WCC/WDC only when Schumacher was around, rite? Its more of a situation during the 90s where a strong leadership was required for the Ferrari team since it suffered from Italianisation. The Brawn-Schumacher-Todt team worked a magic for the team and enjoyed success.

It would be much better to say that Schumacher got in the right people to build a winning team rather than saying he got the personal he liked!

Last edited by anachronix : 14th January 2010 at 19:22.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 20:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Car development is different from running the team, hiring personnel of your choice etc. At Ferrari, Schumacher was allowed to build his own team around him. At McLaren, especially under Ron Dennis, that wouldn't have happened. Dennis was always the boss and all his drivers know that. Renault, again, are like Ferrari as seen by how Alonso built that team to suit him. Its a cultural thing and the McLaren culture is one where drivers are drivers. That's it.

Ferrari's had no championships since 1976 or something like that till Schumacher did it in 1999 with the WCC. Much of that happened because he was given the freedom to assemble a team that he could work well with and were obviously talented enough. Good for him, but he couldn't have done that at McLaren for sure.

That's why he rejected the McLaren offer. Do you honestly believe he did it out of loyalty for Ferrari, especially given that he hadn't managed to win any championships yet with them?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 14th January 2010 at 20:28.