Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 29th April 2010, 04:14   #1
BHPian

Default F1 teams to begin using 4-cylinder twin-turbo engines in 2013

Source:Topspeed.com

Quote:
Changes in Formula One occur just about as often as Charles Barkley chows down on cheeseburgers, so it really didn’t come as a surprise that F1 is on the verge of having a new engine formula that would run for six years starting in 2013.
According to Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo, an agreement in principle has been reached to begin using - effective in 2013 - a four-cylinder, 1.5 liter engine that comes with twin-turbo, direct injection, and the KERS system.
In an interview with Autocar magazine at the Beijing Motor Show, Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa said that F1 should take the necessary steps to begin using engines that could also be translated to road-driving conditions. "If F1 has to develop something helpful for real (road) driving conditions, then the best solution is for an engine that is turbocharged and GDI (gasoline direct injection)," he said.

Norbert Haug of Mercedes echoed Felisa’s sentiments, despite also pointing out that F1 should remain invested in taking advantage of high technology in developing their race cars. "Smaller engines should be used for consumption and emissions," he said. "But you still need to look at the whole picture. If you fly from Europe to Japan on a 747, you would use more fuel than an entire F1 season."
For now, further development of the 2.4-liter V8 engines that are used today in F1 cars have been ’frozen’, at least until powerful engines that are more fuel-efficient and emit less pollution - and likewise affordable to the smaller teams - become available.

:( I don't know if the 1.4L engine would give the adrenaline rush.
had a good laugh on the statement of flying on a 747

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd May 2010 at 09:00. Reason: Adding source
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 11:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Will we not be going back to the bad old days of the 1.5 Turbo units (Ok six cylinder then with their 1000+ bhp?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Turbo in F1!? Nooo!

Bring the V12 back! Please!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 13:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Will we not be going back to the bad old days of the 1.5 Turbo units (Ok six cylinder then with their 1000+ bhp?
Oh joy! Bring back the firebreathers.
I remember seeing an image of Ferrari F1 car of 80's spitting fire atleast a metre long.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 14:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Turbo in F1!? Nooo!

Bring the V12 back! Please!
Forget it in these days of Scrooge.

I will love to see a six (or even a five) in roadcars of say above 1500cc. You need more than four cylinders for smooth uninterrupted power delivery. Also, a Vee or (even better) a Flat six will be far more compact.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 16:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

I don't really have a comment on the displacement, but i feel that KERS needs to come back... Theres a lot of development that can happen in that area.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:35   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Twin Turbos 4 cylinder units will atleast help get the reliability of turbos used in daily use vehicle up while enabling their use at low rpms with minimal lag.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Forget it in these days of Scrooge.

I will love to see a six (or even a five) in roadcars of say above 1500cc. You need more than four cylinders for smooth uninterrupted power delivery. Also, a Vee or (even better) a Flat six will be far more compact.
Imagine the amount of money the teams will spend on the R&D to build these turbos.

V12 would be relatively easy option and makes F1 more interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry
Oh joy! Bring back the firebreathers.
I remember seeing an image of Ferrari F1 car of 80's spitting fire atleast a metre long.
With the turbo in a V4 engine, you will hardly hear any engine roar. Forget the fire breathing.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 21:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I don't really have a comment on the displacement, but i feel that KERS needs to come back... Theres a lot of development that can happen in that area.

Absolutely Rehaan, KERS is one amazing stuff with a huge potential in F1.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 29th April 2010 at 21:44.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 11:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

The best thing about turbos? Drivers have a much harder job now to keep the car at the right revs.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 22:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Exactly,coming out of a corner you would need real skill to control the turbo lag and then the sudden power boost.i hope they dont use "electric nannys" to modulate the power delivery and make things easier.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote