Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

View Poll Results: Who do you think has better driving skills ?
World Rally Championship drivers 109 67.70%
Formula 1 drivers 16 9.94%
They're both equal 36 22.36%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th October 2005, 20:48   #16
BHPian

I voted for the 3rd option, its really difficult to differenciate between the two forms of the sport. Each one has its own region of specialization.
Sid Schumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 21:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would definetely vote for WRC. I mean yes you have the navigator and the recce but when you are going flat out through a stage composed of no grip gravel or snow or pouring rain, the level of skill needed is simply immense. Atleast the F1 drivers know where the track is going on the next turn after pounding on it for 3 days in practice & qualifying. And rally stages vary every year whereas F1 tracks remain the same for a very long time.

And as someone said its not 80 mph today speeds reach upto 150 mph on the faster rallies and don't forget the huge jumps at insane speeds that these guys do. (If anybody needs an explanation please see pictures/video of any Rally of Finland).

The level of physical fitness is very high too as in jumps and varying road surfaces the pressure on these drivers backs/arms etc. is very high too. But I think here F1 has more pressure due to the longer period of sustained running.

A bit OT but if we are talking Rally Drivers I think both F1 & WRC lose to the drivers/riders of Paris-Dakar rally who pound the desert throughout the day covering 300-400 miles a day in the sweltering heat without any rest/break etc. The level of fitness required for these type of events must be absolutely IMMENSE.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 21:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

WRC: 1 rally: around 14 rounds. . . .and ivery round the diff between the first and the second is around 1-2 seonds.

chances of crashes WAY HIGHER than in F-1.
Elements like road / weather / surrounding NOT in control.
PLUS: speeds NOT AS HIGH as 300 kmph but do touch 250 kmph. . . .arounds. . .
Safety: Roll cage, mandatory plus very strict rules, like the most complicated petrol tank, even more complicated than the F-1 desings.

F1: 14 rounds:

Difference between the 1st 2nd 3rd is in THOUSANDS of a second.

changes of mechanical failure higher than WRC since the technolog is way ahead of WRC.

Elements like roads / surrounding under control.

Killer speeds of 300kmph just half an inch above the gound.

Safety: really strict. . . .

so wht is more difficutl: both are equally difficult and dangerous. . .and u need to be MAD to be in one of those enginerring marvel and push the envelope.
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 01:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

to be honest i'm a little shocked !
with quite a few guys thinking WRC to be the tougher than F1

F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport..

WRC consists basically of modified road cars..
F1 boasts some of the most advanced technology available..
harnessing 900 bhp has to be a different piece of cake altogher

no doubt it is difficult driving a car around a few feet from disaster..
but think of F1 cars at monaco.. at far greater speeds..
they are just cms from disaster

dont think u can even compare the two..
MotoGP vs F1 maybe.. but no way WRC
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 18:11   #20
BHPian

I would vote for WRC.
Cars that we drive are used and modified heavily.
It is the man and machine sync that decides the winner.
The car has to be driven fast and responsibily as the damage control and recovery is done by the driver and the navigator

F1 -- Pinnacle of automotive technology. Racing teams putting forth their best technology.
drivers get acquainted to that technology and use the technology to surge ahead.
Drivers do give feed back to their teams and they in turn tweak the car further.

In F1, you could have a great driver like suchmi but not get the results you want because the car that you race does not have the technical edge over other teams (F1 2005 results)

WRC closer to reality. Inspiration behind street racing
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 18:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

The skills required for both are equally demanding...
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 19:11   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
F1 and WRC are both pinacle of motorsports.Both the drivers are equally talented.i'm sure F1 drivers can drive a rally car really well with little practice and vice-versa for the rally drivers.

a talented driver is always a talented driver,no matter what kind of vehicle he drives.all they need is a little practice to get used to the change in driving style.so i voted for both are equal.
hey, I dont think I agree to this statement of a good driver being a good driver specially when it comes to the highest form of motorsports . A statement like this may hold true for an individual driving regular street cars . When it comes to pushing these monster engines to their extremes its not neccessary as Rally and F1 driving styles are toatlly different .

And yes F1 is more tiring physically but Rallying too is tiring as the driver is continuosly moving his hands/feet all at the same time . this debate is one of those which can go on and on and still not reach a conclusion but I vote for Rallying as better driving skills .

And F1 is the pinnacle of motorsports only bcoz it allows spectators to be a part of it for the entire length and breadth of the race , so more TV coverage thus more money thus more popular . Very simple .

cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 20:59   #23
BHPian

this is like asking - should i use the yamaha R1 to go and buy vegetables or take the porsche for the four of us to go to chennai?

I mean there can be no comparision. they are each in their own leagues.
killjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 21:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think WRC definitely has an edge considering it is an uncontrolled environment with blinders all the way which mostly are death defying and navigator controlled.....huh!!! F1 is rather a refined sport in comparison which demands skilfull planning and execution with comparitively lesser brute force, implying; slightly more cushion on human error.

Last edited by The Wolf : 2nd November 2005 at 21:15.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 03:34   #25
BHPian

i'm voting for WRC, i don't think i need to give any reasons.. there are enough resons already in this thread...

though F1 drivers also demand very skilled drivers....
papps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 03:41   #26
BHPian

The skill needed in f1 and wrc is eqally demanding !! we cant compare between the skill of drivers of f1 and wrc .
varun_patra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 04:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Race of Champions

Did'nt anybody watch race of champions last year? The event tries to answer just this question. Its pits F1 and WRC drivers in equal machinery to see who is the best. Last year's winner...05GP2 runner up and Renault test driver Heikki Kovalanen. He beat guys like Loeb, MC, Solberg.

http://www.raceofchampions.com/

F1 drivers are much higher paid than WRC drivers, so hopefully they are working much harder behind the wheel.

WRC does look dramatic on camera but keep in mind the speeds are usually much lower, probably a third of what you see in F1.....so you dont need super sharp reflexes. WRC needs more concenteration because you have no idea whats coming up.

Of course this dosent mean that F1 drivers will be able to handle a rally car easily. Couple years ago Jean Alesi ran a WRC event and crashed umpteen times before retiring. Interestingly, Rossi also did a rally in UK and crashed like crazy.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd November 2005 at 04:25.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 17:18   #28
Tom
BHPian

my vote goes for WRC drivers
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2005, 23:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
WRC does look dramatic on camera but keep in mind the speeds are usually much lower, probably a third of what you see in F1.....so you dont need super sharp reflexes.
are you sure that the speeds are lower?
killjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2005, 01:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Did'nt anybody watch race of champions last year? The event tries to answer just this question. Its pits F1 and WRC drivers in equal machinery to see who is the best. Last year's winner...05GP2 runner up and Renault test driver Heikki Kovalanen. He beat guys like Loeb, MC, Solberg.
a few of the F1 drivers ( including shumi ) arrived a day later at the race of champions event.. thus giving everyone else a day more to practice in the all the cars

that played a big role in the final results...
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote